Attachment 6083
    Final??

Stealth not arrived yet...?

Elbe not in there?
    Jan L. Korrûbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Final as per Saturday.
    The post office let us down.
    Phillip said he would do the Deep Red and Magnum when they arrive.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Default Action vs Power

I came across the simplest one-page explanation I've ever seen explaining the difference between rod "power" and rod "action." I find it very confusing sometimes when the terms are muddled up or incorrectly used as synonyms. If you've had the same problem, have a look here:
    http://www.rajeffsports.com/power_action.php

Thanks Mark.
    But looking back at the comparisons and the actions of some of the rods, what the manufacturers says, and what this explanation says, dont marry up with all the results we got.

But it was a very interesting day. Doing all the "tests"
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    ..., what the manufacturers says, and what this explanation says, dont marry up with all the results we got.
    There's a first... NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I was surprised that two rods with almost an identical bend curve, could have such different casting actions.
    The 10 foot 6wt Sage XP, and the Greys Streamflex 10 foot 5wt, have an almost identical bend, but worlds apart with the cast. quite surprising...
    Mark
    This is a case in point, as per Andre's post.

You can't really take anything from such an excersice.
    The 2 rods are so different in every way, except for the lenght.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Mark
    This is a case in point, as per Andre's post.

You can't really take anything from such an excersice.
    The 2 rods are so different in every way, except for the lenght.
    I see your point, but the fact that rods show a similar bend curve doesn't guarantee that they cast the same. The "power" - which on a plotted graph is indicated by the (horizontal) level at which the weight hangs - should be within a similar range for all rods of a specified AFTM rating. We know this isn't the case - "stiff" rods like the TCR being a case in point - but theoretically that's how it should be. The action, or bend pattern, can differ drastically but still require similar force to bend to a specified level. Now for the "feel." The physical weight of a rod, and the way this weight is distributed through the length of the rod, has a huge effect on the "feel." Then there's also the speed of recovery of the blank after it's been loaded - the "springiness" of the rod, so to speak. This affects the "feel" dramatically. What the graph made very clear was that there's a lot of variation in stiffness in rods with similar line ratings. It seems AFTM ratings are more a guideline than a rule in that respect, and supports the notion that one shoud choose a line according to one's preference as opposed to what's written on the blank.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
    I see your point, but the fact that rods show a similar bend curve doesn't guarantee that they cast the same. The "power" - which on a plotted graph is indicated by the (horizontal) level at which the weight hangs - should be within a similar range for all rods of a specified AFTM rating. We know this isn't the case - "stiff" rods like the TCR being a case in point - but theoretically that's how it should be. The action, or bend pattern, can differ drastically but still require similar force to bend to a specified level. Now for the "feel." The physical weight of a rod, and the way this weight is distributed through the length of the rod, has a huge effect on the "feel." Then there's also the speed of recovery of the blank after it's been loaded - the "springiness" of the rod, so to speak. This affects the "feel" dramatically. What the graph made very clear was that there's a lot of variation in stiffness in rods with similar line ratings. It seems AFTM ratings are more a guideline than a rule in that respect, and supports the notion that one shoud choose a line according to one's preference as opposed to what's written on the blank.
    Yes, i think the key is it's "bounce back" characteristic, which a bend test cannot show. This to me is the most important in the feel of the rod. It also is a good indication that the energy in the cast is being transferred more efficiently to the line, rather than being absorbed by the "vibration" of the rod, post cast...
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7