Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New 2016 Yellowstone 5wt Shootout

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Tamer View Post
    Too true Mario even here in Parys (small farm town) ek doen iets vir jou dan help jy my weer uit bose sirkel waarvan ek nie deel is nie!
    Dit is baie jammer dat dinge so is - die kringe waarin mens deesdae moet beweeg om "geken" te word is nie 'n goeie ding nie.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Jy krap my rug en ek krap jou rug.
    Jy steek iemand in die rug en ek steek jou in die rug.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

As Korrie says, there is a supply chain , where everyone takes a cut, supposedly for their value added contribution (the retail value chain) in bringing the product within easy access to the final user. It happens with all products that you can think of, from food to clothing to electronic goods...everything. Its a basic fact of economics. Your friend is just a clever business man, and if he can achieve those margins, then good for him. That's capitalism, and if the market is prepared to pay his prices, then well done to him.
    What concerns me more with this test, and you have touched on it, is the way that they have chosen the criteria, and applied them accross all the rods in the test. There are rods with different actions, all being tested with the same line, etc etc... of course some will perform better than others. Change the line, change some of the criteria, change the leader setup, change some of the people testing the rods, and you can manipulate the results to whatever result that you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
    Korie,
    Friend of mine entered FF rods business recently.
    He was a part of one bigger company , and then leave them and establish his own small company ,once he learned how's thing going .
    And thing is going like this :
    You need few things:
    1. whom to contact in China
    2. Send them rod design , action, stiffness ,recovery rate , etc ...
    3. Send them rod name , colors, sizes etc that you want
    4. They send you a promo rods, you test them, find some mistakes, send them back, they improve the rod.
    5. Once everyone happy , you order X rods in Y sizes and pay for it (more rods, less price)
    6. In amazingly short time they send you a bunch of finished rods .

I tried about 4 or 5 of them , on the River and on the Fish and on the Lawn (Distance Casting ) , this past European summer.
    From #3 to #6 weight , from 7' to 10 ' in length .

My review : I closed my eyes and cast them - very fine,balanced, responsive , fast recovery rods with medium to fast action , with soul .
    Opened my eyes and: good looking ! Cork grip ,guides, reel sets , wraps, lacquering -top notch quality .

Put faking Sage, G loomis, Hardy ,Scott name on it and sell it for 1.000 British Pounds or Dollars , whatever .

D0 you know what price he paid for say 70 or 80 rods ?????
    From $115 up to $ 180 each !!!!!!!Including transport, insurance and 1 year guaranty on builder quality .
    He is selling them for about $300-$ 350 , and he still make very good money, since they are 3 times cheaper than big names, and as good , at least.

Which word or number is not clear in above text? Please let me know.

Made your own conclusion how much "big rod companies" rip you off with $1.000 or even worse 1.000 British Ponds rod, which is worth $100 ????
    That's why I will never ever by mass produced , big name rod.
    End:biggrin:
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Jy krap my rug en ek krap jou rug.
    Jy steek iemand in die rug en ek steek jou in die rug.
    Veral as mens vriende is, dan steek mense jou in die rug wat nie eers deel van die fight was nie. Dit gaan orals so, met ons almal. Vir beide voorbeelde.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

With the rand/dollar @ R14.30 today im going chinese/korean for sure.Glad i have all my top end rods,no right minded individual would spend between 12 -13k on a rod now would they??

Quote Originally Posted by Cormo_rant View Post
    With the rand/dollar @ R14.30 today im going chinese/korean for sure.Glad i have all my top end rods,no right minded individual would spend between 12 -13k on a rod now would they??
    My main concern is for small business owners that rely on importing small(ish) quantities of their stock from abroad (the east). They are feeling this badly!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys

Everyone ids feeling it, not only small business owners. All it does, is transfer to the consumer. It simply makes imported products more expensive. Its a good opportunity to diversify ones business. Small businesses are in a better position than large businesses, in that they can react quicker to these challenges, and trends. Big businesses cannot react like SME's.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    My main concern is for small business owners that rely on importing small(ish) quantities of their stock from abroad (the east). They are feeling this badly!!!
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    The way bussiness is being conducted have changed forever with the coming of the internet.
    To survive you have to change, adapt and innovate.
    I know of small business owners that are now more busy than ever, but those are the ones that changed, adapted and innovated their businesses.
    Those that did not got left behind.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Korrie perhaps you might want to relate your own story, from a couple of years back with the challenges around your raw material supply, and through innovation and adaptation to where your business is today.
    When one door closes...another two open
    The way bussiness is being conducted have changed forever with the coming of the internet.
    I know of small business owners that are now more busy than ever, but those are the ones that changed, adapted and innovated their businesses.

Agreed, that has always been the case. My comment was directly aimed at the Zar/Usd and how it affects those relying on stock from abroad (small quantities to reflect their business size) to keep going.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast