Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about fly lines?

Default Question about fly lines?

Hi guys

How much level fly line on average do trout lines have in front of the WF or DT head of the line?
    Last edited by saflyfish; 04-01-15 at 11:45 AM. Reason: error

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Hi guys

How much level fly line on average do trout lines have in front of the WF or DT head of the line?
    Generally 1 foot (~30cm).
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Generally 1 foot (~30cm).
    thanks Gary
    Do you use braided loops at the end of your fly lines?

thanks Gary
    Do you use braided loops at the end of your fly lines?
    No.
    I either use a needle knot to connect a short length of ~0.50mm Maxima with a perfection look at the end (for Stillwater work)
    OR
    A superglue connection splicing (generally) a leader butt into the end of the fly line (for floating lines for stream/river work)
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Default Question about fly lines?

You can create your own welded loops.

All you need is heat shrink tubing such as used by the bait anglers, and youtube the instructions, they work really well and after a few tries you can make welded loops with a quality indistinguishable from those made by the line manufacturers.

One little tip : Heat the heatshrink slowly otherwise it burns/bubbles. A general guide is to heat and rotate it continuously until the line coating looks wet inside the heat shrink, that's how you know it has melted.
    Last edited by Scythe; 05-01-15 at 11:07 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    No.
    I either use a needle knot to connect a short length of ~0.50mm Maxima with a perfection look at the end (for Stillwater work)
    OR
    A superglue connection splicing (generally) a leader butt into the end of the fly line (for floating lines for stream/river work)
    Hi Guys,

Happy new year to all.

@ Gary, When you perform the superglue splice, Is there a diameter relationship you have to take into consideration? Say if your Fly Line Diameter is .50mm, your leader butt cant exceed .37 in order to still facilitate smooth transfer of energy when casting? I have used tapered store bought leaders when trying the superglue connection but want to start trying hand tied leaders this year and just doing some research.

Thanks in advance
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    You can create your own welded loops.

All you need is heat shrink tubing such as used by the bait anglers, and youtube the instructions, they work really well and after a few tries you can make welded loops with a quality indistinguishable from those made by the line manufacturers.

One little tip : Heat the heatshrink slowly otherwise it burns/bubbles. A general guide is to heat and rotate it continuously until the line coating looks wet inside the heat shrink, that's how you know it has melted.
    Ive been looking on you tube and can only find the one carp guy doing it,but looks messy...can you post a link for me pls?

Ive been looking on you tube and can only find the one carp guy doing it,but looks messy...can you post a link for me pls?
    I tie my own micro-loops in the fly line with nylon tying cotton (in a colour to match the line). Then I seal the whole lot up with Hard as Nails. A drop of super glue before you begin is also a good idea.

Been fishing these for years and have had no issues at all.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    I tie my own micro-loops in the fly line with nylon tying cotton (in a colour to match the line). Then I seal the whole lot up with Hard as Nails. A drop of super glue before you begin is also a good idea.

Been fishing these for years and have had no issues at all.
    is this a method you came up with yourself? or did you find instructions on the net somewhere?

You didn't look very well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-WRYd7oaeVE

On that same page there are a few other links to similar clips, but I used this one to get the rough idea and then figured out my own technique.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast