Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: rod for tiger fishing

Default rod for tiger fishing

hi guys

Which rod would you recommend for a tiger fishing trip and why. I was thinking of getting a Sage tcx, but I would probably only use the rod once or twice a year, which would be a waste.

I have read good reviews of the tfo bvk, would it suffice?

Thanks for the help

Any rod that has backbone and cast a heavy fly.

First one that springs to mind is an ELBE, 8/9 #.

1/4 of the price ( at least ) of any other Brand rod, and 20% of the price of a S@GE. ( My computer will NOT spell the correct name, for fear of being corrupted by dreams of attributes that are not required. )
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Depends where you're going if it's for a trip - big difference between what you'll need in tanzania or the barotse floodplain versus what you'll need in the lagoons of the delta or jozini/pongola.

Personal preference is for an 8 that's reasonably salt safe so that it can perform double duty - ticrX, xi2 or xi3, crosscurrent glx, etc but rods need to be tested.
    Check your knots!

I'm going to sekoma for a week in July, I currently have a 7wt ticrx, awsome rod, get's a tad heavy after a whole days use though, that's why I'm thinking of the BVK

took my 5weight BVK to pongola and had huge fun on the smaller tigers and smaller flies. but i think a 4+kg tiger would have been a very interesting fight if you can keep it hooked
    Gert Ferreira

"There is certainly something in fishing that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit, a pure serenity of mind."

~by Washington Irving~

I took 3 rods to Sekoma.
    1st Crosscurrent GLX 8wt what a beast, broke the tip on the second day by knocking the boat
    2nd rod Magnum+ 7wt good enough to catch a 8lb tiger no problems, broke that rod on the 3rd day, by me hitting the rod with the fly on a tricky cast.
    3rd rod 6wt can't remember make, lasted the rest of the trip and caught most of the my fish with this rod. My biggest was a 9lb on the 6wt but took abit of time.

Love every moment at Sekoma, also going back in late July
    Pieter

Quote Originally Posted by Pistolpeet View Post
    I took 3 rods to Sekoma.
    1st Crosscurrent GLX 8wt what a beast, broke the tip on the second day by knocking the boat
    2nd rod Magnum+ 7wt good enough to catch a 8lb tiger no problems, broke that rod on the 3rd day, by me hitting the rod with the fly on a tricky cast.
    3rd rod 6wt can't remember make, lasted the rest of the trip and caught most of the my fish with this rod. My biggest was a 9lb on the 6wt but took abit of time.

Love every moment at Sekoma, also going back in late July
    Ok, makes me think I need a few rods, at the moment I have a Guide 2 9wt, and now I'll take the TiCrX 7wt as well.

You must Enjoy it aswell, I'm going there from the 17th to 24th July, can't wait

If you're prepared to ignore the "bling factor," I honestly think the Sage Bass 2 in either the "Largemouth" or "Peacock" model is worth considering. At 7'11" it's perfect for boat work, it bangs out big flies like a cannon and it has an incredible amount of power lower down in the blank. It doesn't quite break the bank (maybe dents it just a little) but it does come with a free line as standard to ease the concience.

Quote Originally Posted by edd View Post
    I'm going to sekoma for a week in July, I currently have a 7wt ticrx, awsome rod, get's a tad heavy after a whole days use though, that's why I'm thinking of the BVK
    9wt BVK would be a good choice.
    You could also pick up a Stealth Magnum+ 9 wt for a reasonable price.

As a cheap(under R500), but effective backup - get a Sensation Prince II 8/9 wt - very nice rod & what I used on Tigers without ANY problems.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
    If you're prepared to ignore the "bling factor," I honestly think the Sage Bass 2 in either the "Largemouth" or "Peacock" model is worth considering. At 7'11" it's perfect for boat work, it bangs out big flies like a cannon and it has an incredible amount of power lower down in the blank. It doesn't quite break the bank (maybe dents it just a little) but it does come with a free line as standard to ease the concience.
    Mark that is a very interesting one to consider. I have never thought of that before. Would these rods handle very heavy flies effectively? I am talking about clousers with full lead wrapped body and tungsten dumbells on 4/0 SL12S (I know that weight is not needed for tigers - it is though for the big nembwe tight to the banks).

I tried those flies on my 8wt TiCr-X and it is possible but with a seriously adjusted cast and a lot of ducking!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast