Thread: Nymphing from a float tube

Default Nymphing from a float tube

Ok, me again, I just posted about fishing from a float tube so let's assume for a second I do get one... I am curious about nymphing from a tube as I have never done it. I have just generally always fished streamers or dry. Now I know it's a bit warm right now which won't make our lives any easier but we're fishing a dam outside Notties in a couple of weeks.

This may seem like a stupid question but here goes anyway. If I was to drop a nymph off a dry and use the dry as an indicator, how far out do I need to cast? Obviously the further away from me it is, the harder to see. The closer to me, the less likely the fish will take?? Or not?

Any other tips will be helpful! Thanks

Thanks

Bud, I have been in my tube at last light and had the fish rise so close to my pontoon that I felt them rubbing the canvas as they turned...

Dry and dropper can be used in all of its forms on spots that you would never have been able to access from the bank.

Floating lines, intermediates, hover's and sinkers are all used to great success of the tube. with all manner of rigs. Your imagination is all that limits you...
    Regards
    Adrian

'Life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.' ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.~ Mark Twain.

Thank you Adrian, great help.

Sure, you can do this. The only problem that I can see , is the standard problem when fishing a dry on the dropper in any situation, being it a river of a stillwater, is that you are always limited in terms of the depth that you can fish the nymph. the depth of the nymph is dependent on the length of line between the two flies. If the fish aren't feeding at that depth, then its not going to be ideal. Nymphing always going to produce better results, when they are fished at a calculated depth. Why not try finding the depth of the fish by counting down the line according to its DI. You might find that they are feeding more prolifically at a deeper level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Oelschig View Post
    Ok, me again, I just posted about fishing from a float tube so let's assume for a second I do get one... I am curious about nymphing from a tube as I have never done it. I have just generally always fished streamers or dry. Now I know it's a bit warm right now which won't make our lives any easier but we're fishing a dam outside Notties in a couple of weeks.

This may seem like a stupid question but here goes anyway. If I was to drop a nymph off a dry and use the dry as an indicator, how far out do I need to cast? Obviously the further away from me it is, the harder to see. The closer to me, the less likely the fish will take?? Or not?

Any other tips will be helpful! Thanks

Thanks
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianPowrie View Post
    Bud, I have been in my tube at last light and had the fish rise so close to my pontoon that I felt them rubbing the canvas as they turned...

Dry and dropper can be used in all of its forms on spots that you would never have been able to access from the bank.

Floating lines, intermediates, hover's and sinkers are all used to great success of the tube. with all manner of rigs. Your imagination is all that limits you...
    And trying to eat my rod tip...

Dean, I nymph off my tube pretty often. Early morning, casting back into the shallows from deeper water, and a slow figure 8 retrieve normally gets some interest. As for casting distance, just get as close to the fish as you can comfortably cast. That's the beauty of a tube, you can move around and use the wind/sun/current your advantage.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

A nice thing to do is to tube yourself into the thick weeds that come to the surface and then fish just off those in the channels. The Weeds around your feet and tub guard you nicely while the fish cruise right along the edges.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    A nice thing to do is to tube yourself into the thick weeds that come to the surface and then fish just off those in the channels. The Weeds around your feet and tub guard you nicely while the fish cruise right along the edges.
    It's also my favourite spot for a quick nap in the sun while I dangle some buzzers under an indicator Backrest back, fins on top of the weeds, zzzzzzzzz...
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    It's also my favourite spot for a quick nap in the sun while I dangle some buzzers under an indicator Backrest back, fins on top of the weeds, zzzzzzzzz...
    Is that what you are calling your 07:00am whisky buzzzzz....
    Regards
    Adrian

'Life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.' ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.~ Mark Twain.