Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: #2 and #3 SAGE SPEY RODS

Andre
    I think the objective is to cast as far as possible with as little effort as possible and without the back haul, as you stated.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAoJrTlAnkY

But as you said, some prefer to fish shorter with style of casting
    Last edited by Korrie; 13-04-16 at 03:01 PM.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I think I can fish like this on some sections of the Cape Streams i.e. Smalblaar.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

One has to be careful of using line weight designations when comparing spey or in this case switch rods to conventional rods. Have a look at the line grain weight recommendations: 200gr for the 2wt and 250gr for the 3wt. That is a lot when you compare it to a conventional weight forward line.

Also consider that they are recommending Skagit Max Short heads that have all of that weight packed into a 17 ft head. You also add a tip to the Skagit head which adds more weight.

Switch rods are loads of fun to fish and I wouldn't mind having one of these for larger rivers, as I would really consider them to be equivalent to 5 or 6 weight conventional rods.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I think the objective is to cast as far as possible with as little effort as possible and without the back haul, as you stated.
    I think that is exactly right. Spey casting evolved for fishing for Atlantic salmon, where it may be 1000 casts between fish. Double-hauling an 8 weight single handed rod for 1000 casts isn't fun!
    Most spey fishing doesn't involve making really long casts, but it allows you to make many casts over typical fishing distances with minimal effort.

Micro-spey baffles me a bit, as I assume it is mostly for trout. It is probably not the most effective method to catch trout, so I suppose it is all about people doing what they find the most fun.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Korrie here is a clip where they fish those Ultra Light Two Handers.....

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Korrie here is a clip where they fish those Ultra Light Two Handers.....

WOW
    Ek kan dit nogal die heeldag doen.
    Deesdae lees jy orals van SM wat groot LM vliee eet. Het dit self ervaar in die Lower ORange.
    Kosie, dalk moet ons maar so vistokkie opbou?????
    Korrie Broos

Kry 'n blank dan bou ek vir jou UL Two hander.

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Kry 'n blank dan bou ek vir jou UL Two hander.
    Gaan jou bel.
    Korrie Broos

cant see why this couldnt work on our rivers. looks alot less work and alot more relaxing (for my yellow fishing).
    here is the double whamy for me, lite drift fishing with my kp when visiting the salt.

Hi Korrie,

I have just taken my 9ft Stealth Bomber and converted it to a 11.3 spey rod. Purchased a 2wt Scandi line and proceeded to do the Spey thing. Absolutely love it.
    I have researched the complete Spey casting technique and have decided that this is a technique that will add another dimension to still water fishing.It will only be a short while then all stillwater anglers will be practicing spey or two handed casting. I still need to finish the rod off with spraying the blanks the same colours, add a screw in butt section of 5 inches, as i used an 12wt Reddington as the additional butt section.

regards,
    Pierre

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast