Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kathu / Sishen Area - any fishing?

Default Reportback?

Michael, did you get the chance to fish Kei Appel yet?

I had the pleasure of chucking a few flies there today. Had to do the 550km return trip to Kathu for a 20 minute job, so decided to squeeze some fishing in before heading back to Kimberley.
    The water visibility is over 2m and saw lots of fish around. Kurper, SM & LM bass, grass carp. One of the spincasters I saw there took a nice barbel on a spinner.
    Unfortunately only had my usual yellowfish kit in the car, but the bass actually went for the #8 olive buggers I had to offer. I took two of about 500g and had watched the bigger ones "sniff" and refuse my flies in the gin clear water.
    Next time around I'll definitely take some dragonfly imitations along, as they were actively taking live dragons dipping into the water.

Maybe organize a trip there for the Flytalkers? Nice camping facilities at R80 per tent with 2 persons and an additional R20 p/p extra. R50 charge for use of power points and only 10 minutes from the shopping centre! Flotation devices allowed too.
    Only issue is the distance from most metro areas, but with the fuel price dropping again, may just be a reality...
    Save our Yellows!

Default Sishen/Kathu area

Guys

So glad I found this thread! I am relocating to Sishen/Kathu in the next 2-3 weeks. Any forumers located there? Would be nice to "hook up" with you guys.

I'll be leaving the fishless east coast....... soon, what an eye opener the past 18 months have been!!

Regards

Stef

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    Guys

So glad I found this thread! I am relocating to Sishen/Kathu in the next 2-3 weeks. Any forumers located there? Would be nice to "hook up" with you guys.

I'll be leaving the fishless east coast....... soon, what an eye opener the past 18 months have been!!

Regards

Stef
    Enjoy!! Now sell your ff rig and start maybe digging in red sand for whatever.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Hi Guys

Anyone know of any fishing that can be had in the Kathu / Sishen area? Rivers especially...or any dams too.

Regards
    Mike
    The orange river is best although it is 190km at closest. By Northern Cape standards that is not far, I do it for day trips..
    Also try Spitskop dam.
    Streamer fishing rules!

Ja look at that stage, I was too busy anyway and never got to fish. I was in Kathu/Hotazel/Kuruman again about a month ago, but again...not enough free time to go fish, unfortunetely.

Default Kathu

Hi Guys

At least that Kei Appel dam does not sound to bad, for a "quick itch relief" if you don't want to drive 200k's. Maybe those 4kg bass will put a proper bend in my 9wt. Just quite rediculous the house rent in that area! Think we are going to squat in a "Makukku" there!

Regards

Stef

Quote Originally Posted by Stef View Post
    Hi Guys

At least that Kei Appel dam does not sound to bad, for a "quick itch relief" if you don't want to drive 200k's. Maybe those 4kg bass will put a proper bend in my 9wt. Just quite rediculous the house rent in that area! Think we are going to squat in a "Makukku" there!

Regards

Stef
    Stef, If you are not directly employed by Khumba i.e. Sishen Iron Ore, and are a "Contractor" then your company must pay the rent.

If it's not part of your contract, then start speaking to the farmers/ranchers in the area.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Default Kathu

Hi Herman

Unfortunately I am not going to be employed by the Mine but by a contractor. They deem rent to be part of/included in your Cost to Company package. The package is quite generous, but it is really tough to budget if you don't exactly know what you are going to be in for rent wise - is it going to be 15K, 20K, 25K? this will obvioulsy have a huge impact on anyone's budget.

Be as it may, I have to take my chances, will make some kind of plan there. They do at least provide temporary acc for the first month or so.

Will be sad to leave Ballito, but I don't have much of a choice, can't work for a p##s anymore!

Regards

Stef

Stef you have an interesting career move. First you are working in the adult entertainment business. I take it that you are a panty or g-string. Tough hanging. You must be really small. You sure you aren't Dawie die Kabouter? So yes mining sounds great, no hanging this time, you will be digging my bru.

Sorry, I just had to chirp you, cause not everyone will come clean with a confession like yours....LOL!!!!

Stef, most guys stay or rent in Kuruman, it's cheaper than Kathu (if you can believe that!). I can give you a few guys contact details there, if you like, who could give you plenty of advice regarding the rent, etc...maybe even put you in contact with some people who rent places out. Some of the hotels have stand-alone chalets who do long-term renting as well, also a good option till you find something permanent.
    PM me if you are interested.

Cheers
    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2