Thread: Glue to secure Braided Loops on Sinking Line????

Arrow Glue to secure Braided Loops on Sinking Line????

Hi GUys

What glue could I use to secure my Braided loops on my Sinking fly line?? I've secured the loop with floss but on youtube they recommend a dash of glue on top of that.

They just say super glue but Im scared that the wrong glue might chow the line..

Input would be much appreciated

Cool

superglue is OK, but you must hold the line dead straight while it dries, otherwise you end up with an irritating curl at the end of your line. Also remember to change it every season. Superglue DOES let go when it gets old.
    You can also use "UV knotsense"...same precautions apply.

I have gone away from braided loops of late though: they always show up so white in the water! I use a loop of straight boiled Maxima 20 pound or so, or better still, no loop at all.....a needle knot, straight to a leader. Very slick. You get quite handy at tying a needle knot too.

Awesome Thanks for the info

Ja I prefer ideally needle (diameter of butt of leader and tip of flyline permitting) failing which nail knots over all the braided stuff. Knot Sense is good stuff to smooth over the abrupt edges of the join. Also see your other post Mark on the same topic (popular guy, two threads on the same topic). If you're going to use superglue let me try and find details of this flexible stuff from the USA - unless another forumer has details of the brand and where it may be purchased?

cheers,
    Chris
    Last edited by chris williams; 03-05-12 at 06:44 PM.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Needle knot/nail knot 3 times and coat with super glue, it's unlikely to eat the line.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

shot thanks

Just to throw a spanner into the works!

Your sinking line, are you using it in fresh water?
    If yes, by all means use the nail knot and ignore the rest of what is typed below.

But, in saltwater, nail knots just don't cut it for the flyline / leader join!
    You are better off using a braided loop -

I have used them exclusively and there has never been a failure.
    I used to use the 35 and then 50 lb gudebrod nylon type loops and whip them to finish.
    In my experience though, you are better off with dacron loops. They last longer and do not have the same affinity to weak spots on the hinging like in the nylon type loops.

I have put a lot of guys I fish with onto this type of connection and it works exceptionally well.

The dacron loops are finished in exactly the same way with the whip finishing along sections of the line.
    I like to blind splice the initial part of the dacron and shoot the flyline up the dacron core. A drop (and it's a pinhead size drop) of superglue that is then whipped over is all that is needed to hold everything in place.

Hope this makes sense.

Edit
    PS Just thinking, I have to do some new lines for an upcoming trip, so if you like I can perhaps do a SBS tutorial and stick it up here for future reference. Maybe mods might be interested??
    Let me know.
    Last edited by Kevin James; 09-05-12 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Add some shit

Thanks so much for the info.

Im using the sinking in the salt.. Ive been using the 80lbs dacron one for my surf gear when catching big sharks but was not sure if I could just use the 50lbs on my fly gear. The braided mono one looks a bit flimsy for me but ok im not targeting 100kg+ Bronze Whalers and Raggies..all though that would be a spectacular catch hahaha *dream on* :-p

Maybe a tutorial would be awesome as Im sure there are lots more guys like me starting out fly fishing that needs info like this

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtooth View Post

If yes, by all means use the nail knot and ignore the rest of what is typed below.

I used to use the 35 and then 50 lb gudebrod nylon type loops and whip them to finish.
    In my experience though, you are better off with dacron loops. They last longer and do not have the same affinity to weak spots on the hinging like in the nylon type loops.

I have put a lot of guys I fish with onto this type of connection and it works exceptionally well.

The dacron loops are finished in exactly the same way with the whip finishing along sections of the line.
    I like to blind splice the initial part of the dacron and shoot the flyline up the dacron core. A drop (and it's a pinhead size drop) of superglue that is then whipped over is all that is needed to hold everything in place.

Hope this makes sense.

Edit
    PS Just thinking, I have to do some new lines for an upcoming trip, so if you like I can perhaps do a SBS tutorial and stick it up here for future reference. Maybe mods might be interested??
    Let me know.

Hope this makes sense.

Edit
    Let me know.
    Spot on, I think you put me onto using blind spliced dacron loops.

I used them this past weekend on my 12 weight with a 400grain sinker and while I only connected with some small tuna, the loops worked perfectly. Reefed my fly on 30lb tippet and managed to pop that off with no slippage, fraying etc.
    Check your knots!

... what I meant to say is braided loops on the ends of the fly line secured with three nail knots (one immediately
    at end of loop, another halfway down and the final one at the vey end of the braided loop into which the fly line is
    inserted, then you finish this off by trimming the tag ends o your braided loop and the base of the final nail knot,
    without cutting your fly line, then applying superglue over all three of the resultant nail knots to ensure they don't
    fray or loosen and that all tag ends are properly covered.

Then you obviously loop to loop and cats-paw your line to leader.
    Last edited by Scythe; 09-05-12 at 04:25 PM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.