Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Help with Yellows Rig

Default Help with Yellows Rig

Hi, I have searched through the forums on rigs, but have not really found my answer. I have been fishing NZ style (truck and trailer) with an indicator, and my catch rate is disappointing to say the least. My foul hooked muddie catch rate is very good . Do you guys fish with a three fly rig with split shot, or do you just rely on the control caddis. Can anyone provide me with a diagram so that I can try it?

The NZ rig seems to work well in rapids, when fished upstream, but in slower water like Oord Nebo, the catch rate is poor. I was fishing in knee deep water, and could see the yellows, got one hookup on a hotspot, but then went dead even after changing fly combinations (but not rig).

Fishing the slower water with the NZ rig resulted in foul hooked muddies, always on the point fly.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyr View Post
    Hi, I have searched through the forums on rigs, but have not really found my answer. I have been fishing NZ style (truck and trailer) with an indicator, and my catch rate is disappointing to say the least. My foul hooked muddie catch rate is very good . Do you guys fish with a three fly rig with split shot, or do you just rely on the control caddis. Can anyone provide me with a diagram so that I can try it?

The NZ rig seems to work well in rapids, when fished upstream, but in slower water like Oord Nebo, the catch rate is poor. I was fishing in knee deep water, and could see the yellows, got one hookup on a hotspot, but then went dead even after changing fly combinations (but not rig).

Fishing the slower water with the NZ rig resulted in foul hooked muddies, always on the point fly.
    Hi Jeremy,

Have a look here for some answers:
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...ymphing+leader

Maybe ask some questions once you have read these. You can also do a search for leaders or rigs and you will pick up additional info.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

quick on the draw Darryl. I was looking for the same thread
    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing" - Einstein

Hi Jeremy

Definitely a good thread to go look at.

Few notes however.

1. It is not absolutely a must to fish with 3 flies, work with 2 flies on the new rig till you are confident then change to three.
    2. When fishing multiple flies on a rig, distance between flies are your friend, at bear minimim 40cm between flies, to up to 60cm.
    3. Nothing stops you from using splitshot, but bare your fly weight combination in mind as well(if you can rely only on fly weight it is better as to the natural swim of the team)
    4. Even with a complete new rig, your drift is still key.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

There is 2 very import thing you must remember when check nymphing.

Get your flies down, you don't have to use splitshot, if you have a heavy caddis and maybe a heavy brassie you will be all right, when you start catching muddies (in the mouth) you know your on the right track.

Use minimum fly line out of your rod, it feels stupid catching fish with a 1 or 2 meter of fly line out of your rod, but you'll get used to it and will catch MUCH more fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Niel Myburgh View Post

Get your flies down, you don't have to use splitshot, if you have a heavy caddis and maybe a heavy brassie you will be all right, when you start catching muddies (in the mouth) you know your on the right track.

Use minimum fly line out of your rod, it feels stupid catching fish with a 1 or 2 meter of fly line out of your rod, but you'll get used to it and will catch MUCH more fish.
    Valid points, but also with the new rig, it is not needed to limit yourself to only CZ Nymphing
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Hi Jeremy,

Have a look here for some answers:
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...ymphing+leader

Maybe ask some questions once you have read these. You can also do a search for leaders or rigs and you will pick up additional info.

Regards,
    Darryl
    Thanks Darryl. This helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Niel Myburgh View Post

Niel, is it possible I am missing the takes from the muddies and then the point fly is foul hooking them, as some of the foul hooks are on the pectoral fin, so the fly is drifting at the right level?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyr View Post
    Niel, is it possible I am missing the takes from the muddies and then the point fly is foul hooking them, as some of the foul hooks are on the pectoral fin, so the fly is drifting at the right level?
    Jeremy, remember where the muddies mouth is, right at the bottom. I don't think you will catch a muddie with NZ style in a stream. Maybe in a slower stream where the water is not that fast but in a rapid like we know at the vaal I don't think it is possible. I think your fly's drift over the muddie about 10 -20cm to high, and that's where you foul hook them.

I've caught plenty of muddies in the orange river over Dec with a heavy check rig. Most of them in the mouth. The 2 I did foulhook was in the tail fin and that's just because they didn't see the fly's as it drifted past.

Your theory can happen on yellow fish though when your 2 flies is tied to long apart. I've heard reports where the yellow take the point fly and then as you fight the fish the other fly hooks onto it's tail and pulls the point fly out of his mouth, then you think you foul hooked the fish but actually the take was with the mouth. To elimante this don't tie your flies to far apart from each other.

Just a quick thing on the heavy flies. I don't tie my own flies but most of the controller flies you buy in the store is not heavy enough for fast rapids. Either tie your own of use split shot.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast