Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Elandspad / Smalblaar juntion

Default Elandspad / Smalblaar junction

As you walk down from the parking area on the Worcester side of the tunnel, you get a cement bridge crossing the river. Facing upstream there is a long pool above this bridge, and another just below the juntion of the Smalblaar and Elandspad.

I just popped into CPS to book some beats for December, and tried to get clarity on which beat contains these 2 pools.

Spoke to Chris about this on Monday, his view is that the pools are part of Smalblaar #6, but looking at the beat maps at CPS, I am now starting to think they are more likely to be in Elandspad #1.

The way I am reading the CPS maps are that Smalblaar #6 starts above the junction pool, and that Elandspad starts at the bridge and includes the junction pool ?

Anyone want to try and clear up the confusion
    Last edited by ebf; 02-11-06 at 12:53 PM.

I always thought that EP1 and SB6 started at the junction pool. The pools downstream of this are not CPS waters (although we all fish them anyway!)

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    As you walk down from the parking area on the Worcester side of the tunnel, you get a cement bridge crossing the river. Facing upstream there is a long pool above this bridge, and another just below the juntion of the Smalblaar and Elandspad.

I just popped into CPS to book some beats for December, and tried to get clarity on which beat contains these 2 pools.

Spoke to Chris about this on Monday, his view is that the pools are part of Smalblaar #6, but looking at the beat maps at CPS, I am now starting to think they are more likely to be in Elandspad #1.

The way I am reading the CPS maps are that Smalblaar #6 starts above the junction pool, and that Elandspad starts at the bridge and includes the junction pool ?

Anyone want to try and clear up the confusion
    Hi Eben,

Elandspad 1 starts where the Elandspad is joined by the Smalblaar i.o.w. at junction pool (otherwise it wouldn't be called the Elandspad it would be called Smalblaar 6 ext 13 . As to who gets to fish the junction pool is a moot point as it belongs to both beats although probably more part of Smalblaar 6. Smalblaar 6 starts at the first run just above the long pool which in turn is above the low water bridge which crosses the river.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

The pool above that bridge is apparently private land, and I thought the run and the other pool below junction pool were also private land.

I was under the impression that both beats start at the junction and anything below that is private. That is the information Kevin and I got from Graham Avery (CPS Chairman?) a few weeks ago.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    The pool above that bridge is apparently private land, and I thought the run and the other pool below junction pool were also private land.

I was under the impression that both beats start at the junction and anything below that is private. That is the information Kevin and I got from Graham Avery (CPS Chairman?) a few weeks ago.
    From the CPS website

Elandspad River Beat #1

Beat one of the Elandspad offers fishing very close to the road with little walking required, the lower section of the beat provides fishing in both large pools and some pocket water, the upper half of the beat provides fishing in some superb pocket water in addition to some beautiful runs suitable for dry fly and nymphing techniques.

The start of beat one is at the confluence with the inflow of the Smalblaar River as the old road bridge crosses the river.

NB: Old road bridge should not be confused with low water bridge.

BEAT SIX Beat six on the Smalblaar River is separated from the other beats by private land. Access to beat six is the same as for the Elandspad river and the same parking area should be utilised. Beat six starts at the top of "swingbridge pool" a large still pool upstream of the low water bridge and then branches to the right (facing upstream) at the confluence with the Elandspad. The top of the beat is indicated by impassable water in the kloof above the junction with the Krom River.

Sounds pretty clear to me, perhaps Graham should read the information on his website and have it updated if it's wrong.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Was watching Joan Wulff casting dvd last night, she's got this thing of turning around in the middle of a back cast to turn it into a forward cast...
    Perhaps to show that the back and forward casts are essentially identical. Other then highlighting this I cannot see the point in doing it.

Rgds,
    Darryl

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Tight brush on your right as you look upstream. If you can't cast left handed then it may help there?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Isn’t she trying to prove that the 2 halves of a cast are identical? That’s the way I read it.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Tight brush on your right as you look upstream. If you can't cast left handed then it may help there?
    Hi Grant,

Explain a bit more ? Are you talking about turning 180 degrees during your cast as Joan was doing or are you talking about standing side-on and casting backwards upstream ?

Regards,
    Darryl

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

I have no idea Darryl. What I was actually thinking about is a video I saw on Youtube:

The lady is standing facing with feet upstream, casting right handed but bringing the rod to the left side of her body. I will try find the clip tonight on youtube and post it later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast