Thread: Saltwater fly fishing with 6wt

Default Saltwater fly fishing with 6wt

Hi did anyone tried fly fishing with a 6wt from the rocks. I will be in kzn this December and would like to try some salties. I've never tried saltwater fly fishing and if anyone have some tips and advice it would be appreciated alot. Thus I don't want to buy a 10 or 9wt I would barely use it in the vaal river.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Depends what flies you will be fishing with. Most 6wt's don't have the power to cast the flies that you need for most saltwater work. There of course are other factors that make it unsuitable, but but the size of the flies and their weight, are big factors.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

What about a 9wt Stealth Bomber? Held one last week and I could easily fish that rod on the Vaal for LM or Barbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Niel_Botha View Post
    Hi did anyone tried fly fishing with a 6wt from the rocks. I will be in kzn this December and would like to try some salties. I've never tried saltwater fly fishing and if anyone have some tips and advice it would be appreciated alot. Thus I don't want to buy a 10 or 9wt I would barely use it in the vaal river.

It's definitely not ideal but can be done, you will just need to fish much smaller flies then you typically would in the salt.

When I lived in Umhlanga I used to fish the small gullies and stuff, you catch small Kingies and Black Tail etc. On a 6wt it was actually really good fun, the obvious issues are casting into wind and not being able to fish bigger flies.
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

And maybe look at getting a cheapie fresh water reel you don't mind getting wrecked by the salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@uhmlangarox Thanx thats what I hope I would hear buy then again I think maybe it will be worth it to get some big fish action with a 9 or 10 wt. A nother thing is it possible to rent a 10wt fly rod or equipment in and around scotsburgh? That is where I will go.
    Beast I like a good fight. Are you from the vaal. I usually target small mouth because where I go fishing there is plenty of them and never actually try targeting barbel or large mouth!

And any advice on how to deal with wind, casting from rocks.?

Mark that sounds like a great plan guz I see them saltwater reels can get expensive for a one time saltwater fly fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Niel_Botha View Post

And any advice on how to deal with wind, casting from rocks.?

Same way you would deal with wind casting from any other place. If theres wind, theres wind. not going to be much that you would be able to do about it. If its blowing from behind, open the loop and let the wind help. If you casting into the wind, a nice tight loop to cut through.
    Last edited by Andre; 06-11-15 at 05:39 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Go for it.
    Estauries around South Natal coast have lots of smaller species.
    PLUS if you do get smashed up on a big fish, it was worth it.

In the Florida Keys, we fished for bones and lady fish (springer) with #6
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Most of my salty fishing is with 5wt, lots of fun. Use smaller flies and use the wind as André said.

Biggest problem when starting in the salt is to organise your line, especially on the rocks. Loose line get tangled on the rocks with waves etc. Try and get a basket if you on the rocks. On estuaries it is not such a big problem, fish from the sand and always stand back from the drop-off as the leeries will chase the fly right up to your feet.