Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Tigers on the Komati river

WOW, very eventful and exciting fishing trip.
    Some lovely fish in that river.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

That is a great report. Just one thing. Crocs!! I don't think I could fish in a river where one of the residents would consider me a Snack.

Here in New Zealand things are a lot Tamer just right for me. CROCS not for me thanks.
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

Very nice report, well done. At one point you mention you blanked because of clear water. I would have thought that clear water would increase the chances not decrease them. Ouch for the boga grip, but apart from that, looks to have been a trip to remember. Some good fish there.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Very nice report, well done. At one point you mention you blanked because of clear water. I would have thought that clear water would increase the chances not decrease them. Ouch for the boga grip, but apart from that, looks to have been a trip to remember. Some good fish there.
    Hi Andre

It's more an observation than a fact.

Tigers have keen eyesight and I watched them chase my fly and bail after following for a few meters. So they're having a good look before committing.

Craig tried with a silver spoon and reeled that in pretty fast, far faster than you can strip a fly and that elicited a take immediately.

Now a spoon looks even less like a fish than a fly but because it travels so fast it elicited a reactionary strike.

The fly looks more realistic but in the clear water and slower retrieve gives the fish more time to look at what it's about to eat and I think that's the difference in clear water.

Dirty water gives the slower fly a better chance of success as it's less visible and therefore has a better chance of being taken.

My example would be look to ook t a streamer fly, now take your glasses off. It's lines are smoothed, the wire leader pretty much disasters and it looks more like a bait fish. I think slightly dirty water has the same effect for a tiger.

Well that's my theory at least.

Any news on a special introductory offer to Flytalkers?
    Maybe your report was to "hardcore" for most.
    Or would you say the low water levels are not the best for now?
    Get 8 forumers to go and "test the water"
    Your dad could be sitting on a tiger fly fishing gold mine.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Any news on a special introductory offer to Flytalkers?
    Maybe your report was to "hardcore" for most.
    Or would you say the low water levels are not the best for now?
    Get 8 forumers to go and "test the water"
    Your dad could be sitting on a tiger fly fishing gold mine.
    Right I was told to tone it down. Yes the bush is dangerous and yes their is the potential for something to happen but in 30 years of guiding there they have never had a death or anything like that. So to those who are now concerned please don't be. There is also only one stretch on water about 800m long that has this potential anyway. The rest of the fishable water in the area is big five free but you might see the occasional hippo.

As long as you are vigilant and give these animals a wide berth you will be fine. Common sense prevails with wild animals.

You are thousands of times more likely to died going to work.

Right so now that that's out the way, what type of trip would you guys like.

I was thinking 4 fly fisherman in a group. You can't really take more than that on the same stretch of water. So if you're 8 you will need to be split up into 2 groups and fish 1 session in the morning and another that afternoon.

So you effectively switch places/venues in the afternoon.

Here's a proposed package from my point of view:

I would say you leave Friday at 1ish - it's 420km from my house in Boksburg. So without kids and wives it's 4 hours.

You arrive at the lodge around 5, quick set up and hit the rocks in front of the lodge till sun set. Boma braai and sit in the pub till 10 - 11ish. You don't want to drink to much as a full day in the sun is going to hurt, trust me. That place is hot like musina and humid like Durban. It's no fun with a hungover.

Early start around 6am where the guides will pick you up. Lodge can provide a packed breakfast. Hit the water around 6:15.

Fish till 11 - 12

Head to the golf course and have lunch at one of the prettiest club houses in SA. Have lunch and a cold one on the veranda overlooking the Crocodile river and Kruger Park.

At 2 head back to another venue and fish till sun set.

Back to lodge when you can Braai at the large family chalets. Or order dinner from the lodge and sit in the pub and discuss the days events. Either way It depends on your preferences.

Early Sunday start, 6am again. Fish till 10 - 11 and back for quick shower and then hit the road. Have lunch at Viva stop in Schoemans pass. Buy some local produce and head home. For those who prefer the road less traveled you could turn off in Nelspruit and head to Kaapschehoop. I think it's about 30 km longer but is worth the effort. Have lunch in this very quaint little town high on the escarpment. You may even see their famous wild horses that live in the area.

So does that sound like a good trip?

For those outside of JHB you can fly to Nelspruit and then hire a car from there.
    The Kumbaku golf course in Komatipoort is also a little gem to play. It has 9 holes with 2 tees to make it 18. For those lucky few who know people, Leopard Creek is only 50 km away.

Crocodile gate is 8 km away for those who like the Kruger Park.

Grant I wouldn't need a second invite, put a pricetag to the excursion, I'd be very keen
    "Only when the last tree has died,and the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

Right Gents.

Between all of you let's get 8 guys together. Here's the deal for the first 8.

I Quote:

"I presume these guys will share in a 6 sleeper (2 per bedroom - must have an air-con - 42 degrees*right now). We can use the 2 bedroom unit as well if it must be 8 persons (6 + 2). My*discounted rate will be R1080.00pp. Accommodation R600pp and meals R480.00 which is 2 x packed breakfasts, a potjie dinner on Friday night and a braai on Saturday night. Just need to add the fishing which will be*R800.00pp (1 full day and a morning session on Sunday)*

The only date that I have the Lodge open is 30 and 31 October"

Right so you're in for R1880.

Add petrol, tolls, lunch on Saturday and drinks.

I only have one request for this special.

The special if for the members on fly talk and not for someone to take the whole special and then take work clients! That as not the idea, DEAL?

So if 8 complete strangers go all the better.

So discuss here first who wants to go and let's get a group together and then I'll make the booking for that first group.

Then that first group can provide feedback for the other members once back, so the other members can make an informed decision as I'm bias for obvious reasons

Grant, that sounds very reasonable. For the fishing do you provide boats, are they necessary, etc?
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

That is a super package.
    A bit short notice for me in the Cape.
    Going up this weekend for a wedding.
    But let me see how I can "arrange my production schedule"
    Fly up Thursday PM and fly back Sunday PM.
    Will let you know
    Korrie Broos

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast