Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Barbless flies

Default Barbless flies

This weekend in a competition i was told that barbless flies cause more damage to a trouts mouth then a barbed hook ? The mans reason was because when a trout shakes it head the fly makes more holes in the fishes mouth . i believe its a load of ... but what are yours guys views on this ?

Makes MORE holes hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    This weekend in a competition i was told that barbless flies cause more damage to a trouts mouth then a barbed hook ? The mans reason was because when a trout shakes it head the fly makes more holes in the fishes mouth . i believe its a load of ... but what are yours guys views on this ?
    Hmmm the idea that the hook could shake loose and repierce a few time in the fight certainly seems feasible but i'd still think that four holes from a barbless hook would heal easier and quicker than one tear from a barbed one.

Does not make sense at all. Go babrless and stop listening/worrying about crap like this.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thats some of the biggest crap ive heard in aages... Whoever said that with a straight face is not someome id like to play poker against!
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

You heard it in a competition???? the guy who told you, probably wanted you to fish a barbed hook so you would be disqualified.... shows you some of the bollocks that you get from competitions. No seriously, competition is not all bad, mostly good, but that is a complete load of hughey. Go barbless all the way.
    What causes the damage, and yes barbs do, is the way the fly is handled when removed. I have seen fly fishermen lift a fish out of the water by the fly. Even a barbless hook is going to cause damage if it supports the fish's full weight, especially if hooked in the scissors. so, handle the hook properly, and a barbless hook will do very little long term damage. The way the fish is brought to the net and released, is far more critical that the possibility of hook damage.
    Last edited by Andre; 13-08-12 at 12:24 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

The next conscious environmental step is to limit the hook size thickness and penetration length. The future here we come.
    Step one: Scan the waters first to determent the maximum fish size
    Step two: Use table to match the hook size to the smallest fish that you probably could catch.
    Step three: Select the hook size fly from your fly box.

Beware if you get caught with one size to big for certain waters.

haha i didn't listen to this guy . Just thought i would share some of the great advice i was given! haha .
    Last edited by craig1; 13-08-12 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    haha i didn't listen to this guy . Just thought i would share some of the great advice i was given! haha .
    Ya, it is quite funny, but you will be surprised at how many fly fishermen believe this. There was a thread on a UK based forum a while back, where this was being debated, and some of the opinions were quite interesting. Also you need to remember that a plattened barb, is not always the same a barbless hook. Some hook brands dont flatten well, leaving a very ugly micro barb which can also cause problems. Flettening the barb is better than a full barb, but it's important to know that the barb has been flattened properly.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

He probably had some OBS hidden in his waterpack and was to wasted by the time he gave you the advice to realise this isn't 1926 anymore
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast