Thread: Frustrated!!!

Angry Frustrated!!!

I live in Cape Town (Tableview) and have been fly fishing now for only a few months.
    Most of my experience has come from outings to local troiut farms and dams where fishing is akin to canned lion hunting!

I am really frustarted becuase I really want to experience the true wonder of fly fishing in the rivers or in the bigger dams.

Problem I have is that I don't know any dams or rivers to go to. I also believe that you must book a "beat"...but pray tell me how this works and how the hell you are supposed to know where and how far your "beat' is. Also....when is the best time of the day/month/year to fish....so much is made of water temperature and low/high river marks.

The dams seem to be the worse as fishing here is unsighted....how do you fish if you can't see the fish!!!!

Som many frustarting questions to be anserwed.

Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Fish View Post
    I live in Cape Town (Tableview) and have been fly fishing now for only a few months.
    Most of my experience has come from outings to local troiut farms and dams where fishing is akin to canned lion hunting!

I am really frustarted becuase I really want to experience the true wonder of fly fishing in the rivers or in the bigger dams.

Problem I have is that I don't know any dams or rivers to go to. I also believe that you must book a "beat"...but pray tell me how this works and how the hell you are supposed to know where and how far your "beat' is. Also....when is the best time of the day/month/year to fish....so much is made of water temperature and low/high river marks.

The dams seem to be the worse as fishing here is unsighted....how do you fish if you can't see the fish!!!!

Please help.

Keep it simple.. email the CPS (Cape Piscatorial Society) and Jean will guide you through things. With you being based in Table View, you can also pop into StreamX and they will advise you further. They based in Milnerton. You can google StreamX and CPS.

There are also a lot of guys in the western cape who could help you along. Perhaps one of them would be kind enough to let you tag along and could learn a lot!!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Default Thanks

Thanks for those words of encouragement...I will try

Please help.
    most dams you'll fish will be unsighted?

just persevere here and you'll be fine...

lots of river fishing is unsighted as well unless you are seriously capable on the river and have had a lot of experience spotting the trout in their lies...it's really not easy.

nevertheless, no need to get frustrated...lots of willing guys all round on here, lots of opportunities to chat and find out info on where to go and where you're going.

like Ryan said, have a look into StreamX and go from there.
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Default Zandvlei - not for the faint at heart

Howzit Fresh Fish,

If you are thinking about drowning your sorrows with a bit of saltwater flyfishing, give me a PM. I try to go to Zandvlei every weekend, and have yet to experience an outing where I do not see leeries busting up baitfish within casting distance... Had quite a few chases, but only one take, no hookup... The experienced fellow fly angler (standing next to me usually) is catching all of the fish... I see it as a gradual learning curve for the next few years (hopefully months). If you in this for the long haul, you will be fine. PERSEVERE.

Regards
    Barend Badenhorst

"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~by Chuck Clark~

Quote Originally Posted by Flubber View Post
    PERSEVERE.
    like!

Thats what fly fishing is about Fresh Fish - perseverance, and you're in the right place to start learning - SO much to learn on this forum and many people to learn from.

I studied in cape town and that was also when i just started getting in to fly fishing, just like you I was slightly overwhelmed by booking a beat on a river and figuring out where to go, none of my mates fished and i never took up any of the offers i got on this very forum to go for a fish with someone in the know. I'm now in JHB and have huge regrets that I have never fished the cape streams. So dont let it frustrate you and like ryan said - keep it simple. hell even fork out some bucks for a guide - you'll learn more in a day than you'll learn on your own in years.

The best time of the year to fish anywhere is today!

Good luck

Fishing is a bit tough at the moment for a "first time trip" The water is low and the fish are full of sheet. Rather wait for a while and hopefully we have gentle rain first, to boost the water and help get the thought of Summer hooks out of the fishes brains. I will send you a pm with details if you want to hook up, but not right now. It's hell out there.
    Cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Smile Many Thanks

To all of you that posted to my rantings...thank you.

I guess the old addage rings true that its not the final destination that counts but rather the journey.

To all of you that posted to my rantings...thank you.

I guess the old addage rings true that its not the final destination that counts but rather the journey.
    Fresh, that is so true. However hook up with the CPS, take Rols up on his offer ( He is after all my personal guide on the Cape Streams , ,{ only because he can stay the course }, and then ask the other blokes for help.

Read the forums, work out who seems to know the specific river and then PM them. 99% of the people on here will either invite you to fish, or give you valauble pointers.

The other 1% have left anyway.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Fresh, that is so true. However hook up with the CPS, take Rols up on his offer ( He is after all my personal guide on the Cape Streams , ,{ only because he can stay the course }, and then ask the other blokes for help.

Read the forums, work out who seems to know the specific river and then PM them. 99% of the people on here will either invite you to fish, or give you valauble pointers.

The other 1% have left anyway.
    Fark, that reminds me I still have to refund your guiding money.... mwah
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]