Thread: Hopper and Beatle Foam

Default Hopper and Beatle Foam

I bought some cheap foam recently from a craft shop. it was magic as they had all sorts of colours and it came in 2mm thick sheets. After tying a beatle and a hopper or two with this foam I realized that they do float but do not sit otop of the water.

The question is where should these flies sit and where can I get proper closed cell foam as this stuff obviosly is not.

Please help!!!

Good morning

Sitting very low in the surface film is not bad at all. Closed cell foam will often sink if the foam is compressed too much during tying. My favourite hopper pattern (deerhair) hits the water very hard and sinks after twenty drifts or so but it's extremely effective in windy conditions.

You can get "proper" foam from any of the fly shops or from craft shops.

Cheers
    MC

I read in this months fly fishing mag that Ed herbst gets his foam from Morne @african fly fishing blog, Morne if your reading this maybe you can enlighten us.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    I read in this months fly fishing mag that Ed herbst gets his foam from Morne @african fly fishing blog, Morne if your reading this maybe you can enlighten us.
    So do a few of us Quick, efficient etc and he seems to carry loads of stuff you battle to find up here in GP without driving to three or four stores.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    So do a few of us Quick, efficient etc and he seems to carry loads of stuff you battle to find up here in GP without driving to three or four stores.
    I do not have the mag to hand,what foam was it he brings in?
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Here is a link to his website: http://www.theafricanflyangler.co.za/

You can also give Streamx, Frontier fly-fishing or Flyfisher Unlimited a call. If you want a hopper that does not sink you should paint and seal the foam

Here is a very usefull link: http://www.presentafly.com/fly-tying.php

Don't hesitate to PM me I love to tie hopper patterns and fish them!

Quote Originally Posted by Monster View Post
    I bought some cheap foam recently from a craft shop. it was magic as they had all sorts of colours and it came in 2mm thick sheets. After tying a beatle and a hopper or two with this foam I realized that they do float but do not sit otop of the water.

The question is where should these flies sit and where can I get proper closed cell foam as this stuff obviosly is not.

Please help!!!
    Best (= lightest) closed cell foam products are "Evazote" - Hareline does this in white & black. NOTE - this is NOT the normal Hareline foam, which is a lot denser. (Frontiers has stock).

Rainy's also does Evazote - I recently bought some in Yellow, Chartreuse & Olive in Australia. It did come in Camel (brown) - but this was noticably more dense than the others, so I did not buy it (was no different from "normal" fly foam).

Not sure where you can get Rainy's in SA.
    Last edited by GGY; 01-03-12 at 12:33 PM.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Best (= lightest) closed cell foam products are "Evazote" - Hareline does this in white & black. NOTE - this is NOT the normal Hareline foam, which is a lot denser. (Frontiers has stock).

Rainy's also does Evazote - I recently bought some in Yellow, Chartreuse & Olive in Australia. It did come in Camel (brown) - but this was noticably more dense than the others, so I did not buy it (was no diffrent from "normal" fly foam).

Not sure where you can get Rainy's in SA.
    Any issues with thread cutting into this foam Gar? Recommended thread on this?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Any issues with thread cutting into this foam Gar? Recommended thread on this?
    Have not had more problems than normal with foam.
    Normal 70 Denier threads (8/0) are fine to use, but would suggest one stays away from very thin thread and/or kevlar.
    I do use Benecchi 12/0 & Gordon Griffiths 14/0 on foam too, but when working with foam, it is best to use multiple wraps on top of one another, with increasing pressure in the later wraps. This usually prevents cutting.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Hey Nick. It is the Larva lace foam that Ed uses and that he mentioned in the mag and on Tom's site.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly