Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tying in weighted eyes?

Arrow Tying in weighted eyes?

Quick question for the salty fly tyers; how do you tie in your weighted eyes,(dumbbells, sea,etc) what thread do you use and do you use cement at all? If yes what? (glue,varnish,etc) My question is actually freshwater related but I'm interested to hear if the tying procedure differs. Do you also do fig of 8 wraps with additional wraps before and after the eyes or is it completely different?

Thanx.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 19-04-12 at 01:31 PM.

i may not be correct, but i tie it in the same for the fresh and for the salt application...

all i do for the salt, is use some epoxy on the thread before tying in the materials and let it set with the materials tied in.

finally I epoxy the rest of the thread
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Quote Originally Posted by gazzarowan View Post
    all i do for the salt, is use some epoxy on the thread before tying in the materials and let it set with the materials tied in.
    Only problem with that is that Epoxy doesn't penetrate the thread wraps, bulks up and provides a slippery surface when it sets.

Try seating your bumbells and when done saturate the thread with Super Glue which incidentally will also penetrate back to the hook shank and make it all sit like the hook was cast that way

It takes a few minutes to set properly so I usually "make" 5/10 eye/hook combos (speed tying style) then proceed to finish my first fly (which should be well dried and set by then)
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    ....Try seating your bumbells and when done saturate the thread with Super Glue which incidentally will also penetrate back to the hook shank and make it all sit like the hook was cast that way...)
    I agree with Bertu here on the superglue, but I add epoxy over alles when I'm done. I wrap the eyes on, superglue them down, spraypaint, paint the pupils and then cover the whole lot in epoxy.
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    I wrap the eyes on, superglue them down, spraypaint, paint the pupils and then cover the whole lot in epoxy.
    Ja, the Epoxy over the paint makes it a bit more resilient, especially if you're fishing structure like rocks etc ... I hate it when you tie a lovely (virtually indestructible) fly that loses it's appeal because the eyes are chipped/damaged/etc.
    Last edited by Scythe; 19-04-12 at 11:30 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Ja, the Epoxy over the paint makes it a bit more resilient, especially if you're fishing structure like rocks etc ... I have it when you tie a lovely (virtually indestructible) fly that loses it's appeal because the eyes are chipped/damaged/etc.
    Spot on. I suppose for freshwater application its not necessary to epoxy, up to the individual.
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Hi Gerrit

I put two small bumps of thread on the shank (1 to 1.5 mm apart - depending on hook & eye size), then simply fig 8 wrap with a touch of super glue when you are halfway with the fig 8 wraps.

Finish the wrapping, wrap pearl flash over shank and over fig 8 thread wraps. Use stick on eyes, dip just the flat surfaces of the eyes in High Build as well as body and fig 8 wraps and allow to set in a rotisserie.

Onse fully cured, tie in wing and finish head with High Build - this will then seep into the base of the wing and secure everything in place.

I don't like using mono thread or the thick saltwater thread preferring 6/0 white thread for all saltwater applications.

Cheers
    MC

Anyoen used this before?

Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

These were tied with it ....

Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Hi Gerrit

I put two small bumps of thread on the shank (1 to 1.5 mm apart - depending on hook & eye size), then simply fig 8 wrap with a touch of super glue when you are halfway with the fig 8 wraps.
    Thanks Mc, never gone the thread bump route but I am familiar with it. Just did 12 eyes that way and it felt really strong. I also used normal thread instead of fine mono thread which obviously absorbs vs to the mono.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 19-04-12 at 12:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast