Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rod for carp

Default Rod for carp

Hi people

I have 2/3WT, 5WT, and 9WT

I would like to target carp. the dam were I fish produces carp of 2.5kg on average biggest was 3.4kg and smallest 1.92kg...

I like catching them on my diowa laguna 6ft6 rod but it has allot of backbone very strong nothing wrong with it, but the fight on fly would be better I believe.

now I do not want to go out to break one of my rods.

What one should I use?

any extra tipps?

I have some bread flies and I intend to chum bread.

Use the 5wt. search Sean Mills here on fly talk he knows a thing or two about carp.
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Baie dankie!

5 wt is the way to go. Even a smallish carp need some backbone, the 3wt is beautiful to use in big open water, but most of the time carp are found near reeds or other water plants etc. then you need to be able to stop the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    5 wt is the way to go. Even a smallish carp need some backbone, the 3wt is beautiful to use in big open water, but most of the time carp are found near reeds or other water plants etc. then you need to be able to stop the fish.

thanks 5WT it is then!!!

going to try and get one sunday!

These days I prefer 12-15ft rods. I am talking Tenkara here whether its Smallstreams, Yellows or even fishing a pushing tide down at the coast.

A cheaper alternative that can handle some punishment is a Feeder Rod with an ML action. Medium Heavy will also work, but its tiring.

The Universal Tenkara namely the Unagi in 7:3 action is pure magic and can handle huge fish. The heaviest true tenkara rod available is the Nissin Pro Square 450(15ft) in 8:2 action. This rod is a beast and makes light work of Yellowfish too.

I am not telling you to get a Tenkara, I am merely showing you that there is an alternative.

There are some good Tenkarpa clips on the net, but I like the quality of this one. Enjoy!!!

Last edited by E.T.; 15-04-16 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    These days I prefer 12-15ft rods. I am talking Tenkara here whether its Smallstreams, Yellows or even fishing a pushing tide down at the coast.

A cheaper alternative that can handle some punishment is a Feeder Rod with an ML action. Medium Heavy will also work, but its tiring.

The Universal Tenkara namely the Unagi in 7:3 action is pure magic and can handle huge fish. The heaviest true tenkara rod available is the Nissin Pro Square 450(15ft) in 8:2 action. This rod is a beast and makes light work of Yellowfish too.

I am not telling you to get a Tenkara, I am merely showing you that there is an alternative.

There are some good Tenkarpa clips on the net, but I like the quality of this one. Enjoy!!!

cool video, here in the cape we call it fishing dipstick

just kidding
    :biggrin:

I do not want to/ can not afford to buy more FF equipment I have spent way to much to already.

Maybe one day when I am a Steelhead!

I use a 5 or 6 weight rod most of the time for carp. Landed plenty of carp between 9 to 12kg on the 6 weight

Fished for carp with Tencara... it handled carp to 1.5kg. A bigger carp broke the rod... game over...

Fished for carp on a 00wt. There's no going back after that

The highest form of existence is play.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast