Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Semi-Portable Tying Bench/Table

Default Semi-Portable Tying Bench/Table

So over the weekend I had a look on the internet for some ideas for a small fly tying setup (materials & tools all in one) that I can move around the house and not have to carry materials in boxes and create a mess when I intend tying in front of the TV or outside. Then I found creeknuts.com and all the tick boxes were ticked.

Check it out! http://www.creeknuts.com/the_salt_49.html

Now I don't plan on buying this thing and shipping to SA for obvious reasons, plus I do intend modifying it slightly to suite my needs for example add drawers in stead of shelving and making it only 400mm wide to fit between my legs plus few more things.

I was busy putting my ideas down on "paper",CAD, and thought maybe one of you have a similar setup that you could possible share a few pics of or share a few things I need to look out for in the design?

What do you guys think of this little setup?
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

FlyFanatic Banned User

Hmm, looks good!

One thing which I do not like though, the 3rd time I bump my knees against the cabinet since there is no place to put them, the whole thing will go over the balcony..

Cant help it, but I need to sit confortably, being able to move about freely without bumping my legs, otherwise I get irritated very quickly, difficult enough to tie flies as it is!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    Hmm, looks good!

One thing which I do not like though, the 3rd time I bump my knees against the cabinet since there is no place to put them, the whole thing will go over the balcony..

Cant help it, but I need to sit confortably, being able to move about freely without bumping my legs, otherwise I get irritated very quickly, difficult enough to tie flies as it is!
    I completely agree, I would rather have a portable table top bench, and then store your materials in a similar cabinet so that you can move them all to the lounge at once and just take your table top bench that keeps all your threads, wires and tools to the dining room table. ok it's one more trip from the tying room to the lounge but for the legroom and comfort it's worth it.

What I do is I have a document tray, so if I know more or less what flies I am tying that session i just fill that tray with the appropriate materials, and take that together with my table top bench to the lounge, so you still avoid the clutter in the living room or lounge.

I guess leg space is the biggest downside of this setup, but remember your knees will be on either side of the bench and only go pass the front about 100mm till you have the correct position to tie with a straight back.. The photo on their website is a but misleading, I tested the size with a few cabinets plus adding castor wheels will help to move the bench out of the way if you want to stand up or get something out the drawers. I guess the only true test is building it!
    www.flyordie.co.za

IMAG0249.jpgIMAG0248.jpgIMAG0250.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Ko7Ad View Post
    I guess leg space is the biggest downside of this setup, but remember your knees will be on either side of the bench and only go pass the front about 100mm till you have the correct position to tie with a straight back.. The photo on their website is a but misleading, I tested the size with a few cabinets plus adding castor wheels will help to move the bench out of the way if you want to stand up or get something out the drawers. I guess the only true test is building it!
    I have built a buro type of station that transports OK and folds up quickly when called by the better half.
    See my version in the attached pics. It even has led lights and 12V outlet for camera ring light! The next to be added will be the rotating fly dryer.
    My tying material is kept in a zip up clip ring folder with pockets. This allows for easy paging through the selection and is portable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Obvious; 11-12-12 at 06:15 PM.
    Wet Nets!

That's a really nice setup with lots of thought put into it! If I had spare desk space then I would definitely consider something like that! But I don't and hence the idea of a self standing unit.

I got my new vice yesterday so I can finally start progressing with my idea... hope to be sharing a drawing by the weekend! Weather permitting...
    www.flyordie.co.za

FlyFanatic Banned User

Nice!

What vice did you get?

FlyFanatic Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Obvious View Post
    IMAG0249.jpgIMAG0248.jpgIMAG0250.jpg

I have built a buro type of station that transports OK and folds up quickly when called by the better half.
    See my version in the attached pics. It even has led lights and 12V outlet for camera ring light! The next to be added will be the rotating fly dryer.
    My tying material is kept in a zip up clip ring folder with pockets. This allows for easy paging through the selection and is portable.
    This is one awesome looking tying station! This would work perfectly for me! I have a big sturdy table which I have for my fly tying stuff, this would organize it all very nicely!

Would you care to share some building plans/drawings with us? I would be able to duplicate this from the pictures, would just make life much easier with drawings!

Again, well thought out system, well done!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    Nice!

What vice did you get?
    Finally bit the bullet and got myself a Jvice!! I have to say its one of the most awesome feelings upgrading from a AAA-Vice to a piece of perfection like a Jvice.
    www.flyordie.co.za

FlyFanatic Banned User

Great!

Have you compared it with other vices like the renzetti's etc?

Reason Im asking is I want to buy one as well, got some mixed reviews, so im not sure anymore..

But your confident answer is very convincing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast