Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pongola River - Calverleys Camp Trip Report

If that lightie never catch any fish again after this trip ever, he could just tell the story of that Tiger on a 5wt.

More of a story than most can tell in a lifetime of fishing!!! Fantastic Stuff!!!

Nice report, always thought that whilst Jozini and Komatipoort are okay for a quick tiger fix, you really need to go to the Zambezi to get decent tiger fishing, but your report and some of the articles I've read on the Pongola below Jozini makes me think that we do in fact have a tiger fishery in SA that can almost compare. And catching tigers in rivers is so much more appealing than in dams. Got to plan a trip there!
    "Only when the last tree has died,and the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

What did it cost you per day for the camp and the fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Pipe View Post
    What did it cost you per day for the camp and the fishing?
    It was R750pp with overnight stay, food and drinks, but you will need a paddler to paddle you around on the river to fish it properly. So that's R100 per day to the paddler. Plus you need to pay a once off conservation fee that goes to the Nkosi of the area which is R150.

Hope I'm allowed to post this kind of info...

What is the best time of the year to visit there?

awesome report... catching tigers on the fly sounds fantastic. i'm definitely putting this one on the bucketlist!

would a kickboat be ok in the river? i've been doing a lot of reading about them, and they seem pretty damn cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Like thread through the bobbin holder... so are the days of our flies

Quote Originally Posted by VeeCee View Post

would a kickboat be ok in the river? i've been doing a lot of reading about them, and they seem pretty damn cool.
    Yes if you want to donate your legs to a Croc

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Yes if you want to donate your legs to a Croc
    LOL - forgot about that. DUH!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    Like thread through the bobbin holder... so are the days of our flies

LOL - forgot about that. DUH!!!
    Ja and don't carry a Chomp on you. I heard of a lady that lost her breast to a Hippo as she had a Chomp in her chest pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipe View Post
    What is the best time of the year to visit there?
    From what I recall they said the early season Aug-Oct has alot more fish but mostly smaller fish that get taken, but in mid summer you get less fish but more bigger ones..

awesome report... catching tigers on the fly sounds fantastic. i'm definitely putting this one on the bucketlist!

Well the rapids in some areas are very shallow so I guess not plus the possibility of a croc is always there. But the owner of the company is actually a croc researcher from what I was told and he said there ain't any crocs in that part of the river. The locals swim in it daily and I waded in it for a few hours and never did I see one croc.. but you never know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2