Thread: West Coast

Default West Coast

Are there any fly fishers going to the West Coast in the near future? I'm going there for a few days from the 7th Dec. Would be nice to have some fly fishing company.

Default Where & what!

Where are you going to be on the west coast.What is your plan , fishing land-based or offshore????

I'm not sure if there are any shad in the Berg River Estuary yet. If there are they are fun to catch. I was also thinking of targeting Steenbras next to the Carinus bridge as you come in to Velddrift, otherwise trying in the Langebaan Lagoon. From where are you Big Jim?

There is shad, kob, sand sharks etc in the Berg river. Shad mostly smallish.
    Good spots are all over, the Port Owen Marina has some super places, where you can park close to the water.
    Upstream fromm the bridge in Velddrift is good.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by RenierBez View Post
    I'm not sure if there are any shad in the Berg River Estuary yet. If there are they are fun to catch. I was also thinking of targeting Steenbras next to the Carinus bridge as you come in to Velddrift, otherwise trying in the Langebaan Lagoon. From where are you Big Jim?
    Was going to be on the west coast , but now packing for flight tomorrow.Not to happy about it.But that is the way the cooky crumbled.
    Best bet for shad is at the railway bridge and further up stream.
    There was 7 people arrested last week for netting in the berg river , something like R30 000 worth of harder was netted in the river.Saw the photo's and it was a lot of harder did not see other species of fish.That is probably way there is only small shad.The big sandies are coming in at this time of the year , saw an absolute monster this week.It was the biggest I have ever seen ,did not believe that they get that big.The 27 Kg S.A record does not sound that crazy to me any more.
    Good luck and let us know what you caught.

Thanks and pity you have to fly. The shad are not in the estuary yet. They will only rive later. The Train bridge is the best spot by far for shad and then you might also pick up a monster cob. My brother caught one there years ago of 37kg on conventional tackle and a spoon.. Another good spot is close to our house at the yacht club when the shad is about. The Steenbras are normally at the Carinus bridge. But as yet I've only seen barbel coming out...