Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fuzzy Bug yarn

Default Fuzzy Bug yarn

A buddy and I went off to the new shop that opened in Pretoria on Saturday. Not very big but they carry a good array of materials - one more shop up here cant hurt. Think that brings the us to five retaislers that carry decent amounts of fly stuff.

One of the materials I bought was a spool of "fuzzy bug" body yarn. Its basically a very sparse chennille and its marketed by fishient (http://www.fishient.com/materials_.html and then click on "fuzzy bug"). I tied a few flies with it today and its amazing! Its so much quicker than using dubbing while at the same time being stronger, easier to lay down evenly etc Unfortunately you cant blend colours like you can with dubbing but I'm sure you could experiment with underlying thread colours to get some interesting effects. For R25 a spool you cant go wrong...
    Check your knots!

Been using it for a long time now...used to bring it straight from the States. Mainly Gold...for bodies on MSP flies etc, and then olive and brown for nymphs, and also white for clousers. Awesome stuff...glad to see they stock it.

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    A buddy and I went off to the new shop that opened in Pretoria on Saturday. Not very big but they carry a good array of materials - one more shop up here cant hurt. Think that brings the us to five retaislers that carry decent amounts of fly stuff.

One of the materials I bought was a spool of "fuzzy bug" body yarn. Its basically a very sparse chennille and its marketed by fishient (http://www.fishient.com/materials_.html and then click on "fuzzy bug"). I tied a few flies with it today and its amazing! Its so much quicker than using dubbing while at the same time being stronger, easier to lay down evenly etc Unfortunately you cant blend colours like you can with dubbing but I'm sure you could experiment with underlying thread colours to get some interesting effects. For R25 a spool you cant go wrong...
    Me and Mario musta been to hammered to have seen u.

Leke shop that.

G

Love the sparse effect, nice stuff, price good and nice flies.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Ur best fly to date from what I've seen.Cool stuff.

It must be a bod send to chuck that spool in the bobbin hey???

G
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 17-11-08 at 06:23 PM.

that stuff looks great , what other colours do they have Dave ?

cheers

Ty

Nice fly, I'm sure it will work a treat. The stuff is very handy to make thorax's on caddis flies such as control patterns.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by tye2 View Post
    that stuff looks great , what other colours do they have Dave ?

cheers

Ty
    They only had it in the one colour, but on the fishient website they have links to loads of colours so Adrian could probably get it for you if you dont fancy ordering online.

Thanks for the compliments on the flies everyone, lets hope the fish agree.
    Check your knots!

They only had it in the one colour, but on the fishient website they have links to loads of colours so Adrian could probably get it for you if you dont fancy ordering online.

Thanks for the compliments on the flies everyone, lets hope the fish agree.
    Thanks Dave

Adrians been a busy man with the shop opening ! I'm still waiting for some feedback for you ! I'll push again this week if there is still no feedback !

thanks

Tye

Quote Originally Posted by tye2 View Post
    Thanks Dave

Adrians been a busy man with the shop opening ! I'm still waiting for some feedback for you ! I'll push again this week if there is still no feedback !

thanks

Tye
    Thanks boet, appreciate it!
    Check your knots!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast