Thread: Pretoria Fly Fishing

Default Pretoria Fly Fishing

Hi Everyone,

My fly fishing career depends on your help today! I am an avid yellowfish flyfisherman but would love to get my wife involved. Yellow are a bit tricky and the wading etc makes it challenging for a beginner (especially one with very little patience...)

I want to take her to catch a trout on fly so I need a venue close to Pretoria where she is guaranteed to catch something (pellet fed, over stocked kids dam)

I have been to Brookwood which was quite nice so it is currently my first choice. Any other suggestions around Pretoria/JHB? How is Wonderland or On the Rocks?

If she can just hook something and feel what its like then we can go on the dullstroom for nicer fishing and eventually yellowfish. Please help!

Ernst
    Ernst Conradie

I used to fish On The Rocks quite often when I lived in PTA and was pretty successful there. I saw recently on their FB page that they're about to restock on Wednesday. Definitely worth a trip out there.

besides fishing a pond full of easy fish, be patient, praise the lady's good moves, motivate, smile, help and never raise your voice. buy her goodies, flowers or a meal of champions. do it like your fishing career depends on it, another good idea/thing is to meet up with other lady flyfisher, good luck Ernst

Thanks for the tips guys!

Do you think fish released on Wednesday will feed immediately or not??
    Ernst Conradie

Quote Originally Posted by Ernst View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys!

Do you think fish released on Wednesday will feed immediately or not??
    Yes. Within the day. Millstream actually did a test on it, and the feed very soon after being released more actively than once they become used to the environment.
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

Wonderland definitely.
    Try the first dam at the reception area where you pay. Small dam with lots of fish. The catch and release dam just beneath it is bigger and deeper.
    Fish a team of buzzers under a indicator and I am sure she will catch a few. I usually go there during the week as weekends gets a bit busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ernst View Post
    Hi Everyone,

My fly fishing career depends on your help today! I am an avid yellowfish flyfisherman but would love to get my wife involved. Yellow are a bit tricky and the wading etc makes it challenging for a beginner (especially one with very little patience...)

I want to take her to catch a trout on fly so I need a venue close to Pretoria where she is guaranteed to catch something (pellet fed, over stocked kids dam)

I have been to Brookwood which was quite nice so it is currently my first choice. Any other suggestions around Pretoria/JHB? How is Wonderland or On the Rocks?

If she can just hook something and feel what its like then we can go on the dullstroom for nicer fishing and eventually yellowfish. Please help!

Ernst
    Emhlangeni and Kloofzicht would also be a good choice, often good to take a guide along that can assist your wife then you can also fish