Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Eikendal Reports

Hi Andre, I am not a very technical fisherman and tie down my leader and tippet just by the feel of what is happening. Long leader in my book is about 1,5 X my rod lenght. More than that and there is no way I can turn over the fly in any competant way, if at all. Especially not when fishing from my float tube. That mean not more than 14 ft if my maths ad up for the leader and tippet set-up.

If you want to fish deep, use a sinking line and heavy fly. In my book it is more important to fish upper layers early morning and late afternoon and that mean I will be surprised if the fly, even when fishing it very slowly and letting it sink down, will go down more that 1.5 metres. Maybe something to check in my swimming pool.

This very slow, big dragon fly nymph fishing also worked good in Bluegum Dam in the very deep corner next to the outlet tower. Water must be at least 20m deep there, but the trout would feed in upper levels.

Something else that I love to do in my Float Tube is to chase the rise. This not necesarily at Eikendal, but use to do it a lot on Bluegum and Brinksburg dams. I fished all round with my 5wt using nymphs and Olive Wooly Buggers, but as soon as I see a rise anywhere on the water, I would try and chase all the way there and cast my 3wt with a dry. You will be surprised how long a trout will stay to feed in the same area, willing to take a fly offered to them.

This manner of fishing might also mean you can catch the odd platanna as they rise for air might look a bit like the feeding fish...
    Last edited by Booger Rose; 21-08-15 at 03:37 PM.

Hi Booger,
    Thanks for all the info. I have been chasing the rise at Eikendal with my 4 weight and small nymphs. Nothing however. I'll try a dry next time. I tell you the rises are prolific at Eikendal. However I cannot chase after every rise as I'll just p@ss the bank anglers off. I have not tried the slow floating technique, I'll do so and see. If I could imitate the hatch at Eikendal I tell you the fun would be unmatched as the fish are a good size. Ryan and Philip did tell me that the anglers fishing slow have caught the most fish.
    Regarding Bluegum, I have found that fishing a fast intermediate in the top left corner And at the main inlet have been most successful. You cast out and you're taken on the drop. So your advice of letting it sink and fishing slow is spot on. At the main inlet( cottages), drifting a pair of nymphs below a strike indicator was extremely successful for the wild fish.
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Something else that I love to do in my Float Tube is to chase the rise. This not necesarily at Eikendal, but use to do it a lot on Bluegum and Brinksburg dams. I fished all round with my 5wt using nymphs and Olive Wooly Buggers, but as soon as I see a rise anywhere on the water, I would try and chase all the way there and cast my 3wt with a dry. You will be surprised how long a trout will stay to feed in the same area, willing to take a fly offered to them.

This manner of fishing might also mean you can catch the odd platanna as they rise for air might look a bit like the feeding fish...

Ok, I hear you... 1,5 times the rod length, or 4 meters is definatly not a long leader. its actually a very short leader for stillwaterts. When you are bank fishing and not drifting with the wind, I can understand not being able to fish effectively with a longer leader, but if you are drifting, the longer the rod, and the type of action, enables you to use the wind, with a nice open loop, to assist in carrying the leader out. With your leader setup, you not going to be able to fish an effective , three fly rig, with the flies a meter and a half apart. for me, two rod lengths or is a medium length leader, and a comfortable length for a three fly rig when using the breeze from behind. When bank fishing into the wind, then it needs to be shortened, and perhaps decreased to two flies a little closer together. Weight of the flies is also a factor to consider
    Hi Andre, I am not a very technical fisherman and tie down my leader and tippet just by the feel of what is happening. Long leader in my book is about 1,5 X my rod lenght. More than that and there is no way I can turn over the fly in any competant way, if at all. Especially not when fishing from my float tube. That mean not more than 14 ft if my maths ad up for the leader and tippet set-up.

If you want to fish deep, use a sinking line and heavy fly. In my book it is more important to fish upper layers early morning and late afternoon and that mean I will be surprised if the fly, even when fishing it very slowly and letting it sink down, will go down more that 1.5 metres. Maybe something to check in my swimming pool.

This very slow, big dragon fly nymph fishing also worked good in Bluegum Dam in the very deep corner next to the outlet tower. Water must be at least 20m deep there, but the trout would feed in upper levels.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I normally prefer to only fish one fly at a time, at most I will go with two, on a still water. I also prefer to cast a lekker big open loop with a fly landing softly whith shorter casts when fishing from the float tube.

Bankfishing gives you some extra options. Especially at Eikendal where you have a lot of open space for the back cast. Then distance can become an option and I think next time I might try the loooonnnngggeerrrr leader and tie on three flies - at least for a while! One of them will have to be a Olive Woolie Bugger. :biggrin:

Saltwater is a different story. Big flies and distance using the wind as far as possible with tight loops, but that is for another thread.

Andre, why do you tie your multi-fly rig so far appart, 1,5m? When I tie on more than one fly it would normally not be more than 40cm between flies.

Basically to cover more water, both vertically and horizontally. If the fish are hanging in a thermocline, theres no way you would know that, if your flies are so close.
    Look, Im not the worlds greatest still water angler, but I do enjoy trying to work it out.
    At Lakensvlei, I have found far more success with flies distanced a meter or more. I don't see any advantage in having them closer.
    I normally prefer to only fish one fly at a time, at most I will go with two, on a still water. I also prefer to cast a lekker big open loop with a fly landing softly whith shorter casts when fishing from the float tube.

Bankfishing gives you some extra options. Especially at Eikendal where you have a lot of open space for the back cast. Then distance can become an option and I think next time I might try the loooonnnngggeerrrr leader and tie on three flies - at least for a while! One of them will have to be a Olive Woolie Bugger. :biggrin:

Saltwater is a different story. Big flies and distance using the wind as far as possible with tight loops, but that is for another thread.

Andre, why do you tie your multi-fly rig so far appart, 1,5m? When I tie on more than one fly it would normally not be more than 40cm between flies.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Make sense, will try next time and see if I can cast the rig in any competent way.

Open loop, use the breeze. It will take some getting used to. Its easier with a long rod.
    Make sense, will try next time and see if I can cast the rig in any competent way.

Hi Philip,

Again, thank you for the info. Would you be so kind to place a scaling on the attached picture?

Regards,
    Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by Winelands Fly Fishing View Post
    Hi Pierre,

The fish in the bottom dam have always been selective in terms of their feeding. This is due to the richness of the food chain in the dam, also the clarity of the water. These fish feed hard on buzzers during the evening and for most part of the day, heavily on daphnia, damsels and snails. Dragons will also feature more often when spring sets in. We have a size 14 - 16 rusty mayfly which also features on some sunny/balmy winter days.

Below is the stomach contents of a fish caught last week.

However, leader setup/tippet diameter and presentation is paramount. Often fishing a single fly is the only way to go and when fishing dry flies, the tippet needs to be subsurface, especially when it is a flat calm.

Also staying low when fishing from the bank.

Hope this helps

Morning Pierre,

To give you an idea.

The snails are from 7mm - 15mm
    Damsels are from 20mm - 30mm
    Midge Pupae 8mm - 10mm

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by FlyCraft; 25-08-15 at 11:35 AM.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast