Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The great Rod debate

Default The great Rod debate

Much has been said about the ideal rod for particular applications etc. i have a feeling that the new or less experienced guys, get horribly confused by all this, so let me stick my neck out, and lay a few wyths to rest.
    Firstly, these deffinatly are ideal rods for certain applications, but unless you are seriously profficient at the "application" the ideal rod, is going to be no better than a less ideal rod for you. let me explain.....If fishing on a stillwater on a drift boat, a 10 foot rod, gives an advantage in casting a little further etc, from a sitting position. What good id this, if you cannot cast more than half a fly line anyway? If for yellows, a 10 foot rod is better, what difference does it make, if you are not experienced enough to know if the fly is in fact getting to the zone.
    I think some of us competition guys are a lot at fault here, where we often create the impression that a certain rod is the only rod that will work, when in fact, the ideal rod may only provide a small percentage advantage over a not so ideal rod. The other thing, is that you need to be good enough to understand why the ideal rod is in fact ideal, and know how to use it.
    Remember, the ideal rod, also must have an ideal reel, ideal line, and ideal angler behind it.
    So, to all the newbies and innexperienced guys, having feelings if "inadequacy with your tackle", remeber that you don't need the "ideal", rod, just one that works.

If you use a new set of Calloway's, Tiger is still gonna kick your butt using a set of dunlops.

Andre- looks like you are turning away from the dark side?
    When reading your comments the first thing that came to my mind was the question as to why you use Sage then?

You should be using elbe ekse!
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Enter Herman...

Andre,
    by no means am i a proficient caster, however i did have the opportunity, no scratch that, the privilege of casting one of the premium rods on the streams towards the end of last year and i can tell you i felt the difference immediatley!!!!! accuracy and delecate presentation were a breeze!!!! oh if only i could now aford to be a snob!!!!!!

Besides which its just a convenient excuse to horde tackle!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    When reading your comments the first thing that came to my mind was the question as to why you use Sage then?

You should be using elbe ekse!
    No heavens, I am not turning away from the dark side. I am a firm believer in quality brands..well one quality brand in particular, and I know what it offers me. all I am trying to get at, is that new guys shouldn't be put off by all the talk from us experienced guys about the best rod for the job. Of course there is the ideal setup for any given application, but it doesn't mean that nothing else will work.
    Besides, I wasn't refferring to brands anyway, I was more refferring to rod length, for an application, and other more "technical" stuff than brands.

Andre-When reading your comments the first thing that came to my mind was the question as to why you use Sage then?
    Is that why its up for auction
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

Quite right.I think with Czech nymphing being a major style of fishing on the vaal,many beginners never learn to throw a proper line and have very little presentation,mending and casting skill at distance.Learn the basics before you move up a level or try specific equipment for specific styles.

You should be using elbe ekse!:eek:
    There is nothing wrong with an ELBE especially in the hands of an oaf like me.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Great post Andre
    I think its HOW then WHAT you fish
    meaning that simply owning the bling wont make you a better fisherman
    but on the other hand once you know what you are doing you may choose the bling as it has all the characteristics you like

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast