Thread: Spekboom Red Trout

Default Spekboom Red Trout

Just what exactly is a "Spekboom Red"? A variation of a rainbow like blue or golden trout? How long have they been around and what's their story?
    "The best way to shrink a fish is with with a ruler - the best way to grow a fish is with a beer."

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Just what exactly is a "Spekboom Red"? A variation of a rainbow like blue or golden trout? How long have they been around and what's their story?
    Rainbow variation
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Photo maybe? Sounds interesting
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    Photo maybe? Sounds interesting
    They're not as blood red as "golden trout" are butter yellow. It's not significantly noticeable till you hold one up close and see the additional red/pink hues.

As Mario said, they're a rainbow trout variation that arrived in ZA accidentally.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Here is a photo from one of the albums on here. It was this photo which led me to start this thread as I know nothing of these fish. It does look pretty "red" in the image.

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album...chmentid=16306

Not much information appears online. I did find this, although it is a bit of a stretch to claim the Spekboom Red as an indigenous fish - I appreciate that they may be present only in one location or a limited range.

http://www.outdoorpages.co.za/letter...LL+DISCIPLINES

The only indigenous trout that are (according to Bill Hansford –Steele’s in his Book “African Fly Fishing”) to be found in Africa are Brown Trout that are found in the waters of the Atlas Mountains in Algeria. This is however not totally correct because, as a result of the introduction of Rainbow trout, there is a new sub-species that is only found in the Spekboom River near Lydenburg, (called the Spekboom Red) so, although these fish have arisen as a result of mans influence, they are also only indigenous to a certain area of South Africa, do we remove them as well?

Does the Spekboom Red have any fighting qualities? Blue trout are supposed to fight harder than regular rainbows, and golden (albino) trout generally have a reputation for not fighting as well as rainbows. Where does the Spekboom Red stand?

How long have they been around?
    "The best way to shrink a fish is with with a ruler - the best way to grow a fish is with a beer."

Their Favourite food is the spekboom shrimp.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline