Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Contact adhesive for use on Zonker

Default Contact adhesive for use on Zonker

Howdy fellows,

I'm looking for a contact adhesive that would be suitable to join two pieces of Zonker, skin side to each other.

The main requirement is that it still remains soft and supple, where Superglue and Nail Varnish/Sally Hansens goes hard and stiffens the zonker.

I've heard of a product called "Val a Tearmender" but obviously it's not available locally.

Any suggestions ?

TIA,
    Last edited by Scythe; 12-02-08 at 10:10 AM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Howdy fellows,

I'm looking for a contact adhesive that would be suitable to join two pieces of Zonker, skin side to each other.

The main requirement is that it still remains soft and supple, where Superglue and Nail Varnish/sally Hansens goes hard and stiffens the zonker.

I've heard of a product called "Val a Tearmender" but obviously it's not available locally.

Any suggestions ?

TIA,
    Won't Gemkem work?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    Won't Gemkem work?
    yes .. it works!! ... You can also get a contact adhesive used for fixing the soles of shoes ... very good.
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Yes, Jasper, I've just fixed up my old leather wallet this morning that was 'leaking at the seams'. I use Alcolin Contact which works a treat on leather, is pliable, sticks like hell and is also waterproof. I'm not a DIY and there may well be lots better stuff around, but this stuff used as per the directions should work a treat for gluing zonker bits together. That incidentally sounds a great idea for e.g. bass, LM and some salt flies..

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    ... That incidentally sounds a great idea for e.g. bass, LM and some salt flies ...
    http://hipwader.com/2006/tying-the-d...bunny-streamer

Give thanks to that man MCC, obviously has a salty core (or chocolate salty balls)

Thanks, I'll go look for Genkem and take a look at the Alcolin.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Aaah, interesting! I'm at home today so will try to tie one and see what monstrosity eventuates from the tying vice! Good luck with yours. Will let u know if mine survives the acid Kreepy Krawly swimming pool test!

My wife owns some adhesive used for mending clothes (which I use regularly) ... it also works very well!! ... strong & waterproof. Obtainable at shops that sell sewing stuff.

While on the subject of adhesives - I use a VISCOUS "super glue" for my knifemaking - sticks anything to anything including stainless steel to wood!! To remove a handle one has to grind it off!! Trouble is it is very expensive and not available locally. Does anyone know of a similar product that IS available in SA?
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.

Is that VISCIOUS or VISCOUS glue???
    Last edited by smallstreams.co.za; 12-02-08 at 10:51 AM.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    Is the VISCIOUS or VISCOUS glue???
    BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .. got some on my lip the other day ... top lip stuck to my tooth for a while!! .. PAINFUL!!!

... ended up looking a bit like Matuka's avatar!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast