Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Bow fishing

This guy has hooked you all
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Hi vicus thanks for your post. At last there is one flyfisher with an open and realistic mind and thought process. As said before i do not hunt and kill for the fun but only for the pot and the odd trout will not be a problem as more probably die from stupid people handling them wrong and then throw the fish back instead of eating the fish.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

All good buddy. Just as long as you keep clear of them fishies in the spawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicus View Post
    Was a fun read, must say.

Pesonally, I have no issue with bow hunting what so ever...... as long as the bow hunters leave the fish alone in spawn time. As as for bow hunting for fish (except for spawn time):

- Carp will be the easiest targets. There are literally billions of them, and waters all over the world. Even if we all try to kill them all, we would never manage it. People can take bakkie load of them for all I care. So obviously, as a bow hunting target carp presents no problem, ecologically, or morally.

- Barbel, same as Carp, really.

-Trout will be pretty tough to shoot. I cannot see any bow hunter bagging more than two or three in a day. It will have less effect on the river than a single resident cormorant. Certainly, considerable skill will be required.

-Bass will be a bit easier, but except for spawning season, the bigger ones will be harder to find. I would just suggest that in spawning season, leave them alone, as it would be un-sporting to shoot them, and have serious effect on the population.

- Yellowfish the same as bass, just leave them alone in the spawn.

-Kurper, you can find schools, but they are vary wary and will not be easy to shoot.

In general, I do not understand the "hoo-ha" about the bow fishing. We have much more serious threats to our fish stocks. Like pollution, netting etc. And actually the "hook-and-cook" rod and line brigade removes more trout, bass and yellows than any amount of bow hunters could ever hope to do, by an exponential margin. Even the most protected cape streams have the occasional hook and cooker visit with some earthworms. And face it they are catching way more trout than any bow fisher could ever hope to do. A couple of bow hunters will have no impact what so ever. Even a couple of hundred bow hunters for that matter. Simply because with the exception of carp, the bow hunters will not be able to shoot many fish, as it is just not easy to do.....as long as they leave the fish alone in the spawn.

Then there is of course the fact that catch and release fishing does not have 100% survival rate for the fish. In fact research suggests that even the most careful handling of the fish still results in 20%-40% mortality rate. Yep, at least 1 in 5 fish you release, die within a few days. So before preaching at bow hunter toooo much, just realize, that as catch and release fishers we kill our fair share of fish as well. (So why have an issue with a bow hunter who kills 2 or three fish for the pot only?)

So...Mr Bow hunter, as far as I am concerned, you can hunt fish with your bow as much as you like.......except for spawn time. Leave the fish alone in spawn.....please.

-
    Hi Vicus.
    Some of it that you say is not good for the Cape Streams.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Hi Vicus.
    Some of it that you say is not good for the Cape Streams.
    Hi Korrie

As I have limited exposure to cape streams, I believe you. Just clarify for me a bit?

I have this vision of a bow hunter trying to shoot small trout in a gin clear trout stream. He will have to be friggin good to hit those small, wary fish?
    Maybe I am forgetting something?

Ah, Korrie I think I have caught your hint, and edited a few words out of my post.

Just edit them from your quoting of my post as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicus View Post
    Ah, Korrie I think I have caught your hint, and edited a few words out of my post.
    Too late, as I have copied your message and all the info is in there, (I think???? )
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

You should be able to edit that as well?
    Guess I thought it was common knowledge to just about everyone. But as you say, the info can do more harm than good.
    Apologies, anyway. Was thoughtless of me.
    Last edited by Vicus; 13-06-16 at 09:54 AM.

I managed to get an appointment with the officials on friday and i wondered if there are any other pertinent questions you guys want me to ask the guys re the bowfishing in the cape especially for alien invasive fish species?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    I managed to get an appointment with the officials on friday and i wondered if there are any other pertinent questions you guys want me to ask the guys re the bowfishing in the cape especially for alien invasive fish species?

Interesting.... I have also spoken to an official of CN, and a very senior person in the management of the reserve where the Cape Streams are located. Lets see if your story correlates with the story that i have been given.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast