Thread: Elandskloof Trout Farm dullies

Default Elandskloof Trout Farm dullies

Hi guys...
    Anyone been to Elandskloof Trout Farm near Dullstroom lately? What's the place like, the fishing, the accommodation, etc?
    Would appreciate comments, thanks.
    Cheers, Mike

I was there in May of last year for two days. Really decent value for money accommodation. They breed and stock their own trout. The fishing I found to be on the tough side. There were about 15 anglers actively fishing, of which I could always see between 3 to 5. I only saw 2 fish come out in the two days. I blanked both days. But my performance is suspect. I have not been fishing a lot over the last few years, and I am pretty rusty.

The dam right in front of the cottages/chalets seems to be the most regularly stocked, as it takes the most fishing pressure. On that dam, and the one next to it, is where I have seen the most fish activity. The dam in front of the cottages is the most accessible, with open banks, and lots of room to cast. The one right next to it, is accessible mostly only from the dam wall and areas close to it. That dam looks like a very nice one to fish off a float tube or kick-boat.

If you can bring along a float-tube or kick-boat, it will greatly improve your chances, that is for sure. (Kick-boat will be a lot warmer though, too cold for float tube now methinks)

If you do a search, you will find a number of threads regarding the quality of the fishing at Elandskloof.

When I used to stockie bash years ago, I went there a few times.

If you're going there for the rustic quiet experience ... It's very busy especially over long weekends.

If you're going there for the fishing, be prepared to work way too hard for very little reward.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Mike, where have you been fella? Missed you on here...
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Wooohoooo....look whose back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Hi guys...
    Anyone been to Elandskloof Trout Farm near Dullstroom lately? What's the place like, the fishing, the accommodation, etc?
    Would appreciate comments, thanks.
    Cheers, Mike
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Wooohoooo....look whose back.
    100% agreed Andre!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

My friend and I went last weekend (weekend after the long weekend). we tubed Saturday dam 15 (the dam that get the least pressure). Unfortunately we blanked that day but I must admit that is a lovely dam. Got so much potential for trophy trout. The Sunday we fished dam 13 without our tubes. we both manage to catch 4 fish and the biggest was a 1.8Kg cock fish.

Thanks for the welcome back Guys.... haha. Eish, work's been very busy. Seems I have no time for anything else these days. I have not even touched my rod building for about a year...

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm just looking to go fishing more. However I'm never one for crowds so if I don't see another angler the whole day I'm happy. But sometimes, unavoidable I guess. Around Dullies the good fishing AND good for family venues seem very limited. You either have great fishing and rustic accommodation, or great accommodation and mediocre fishing.

I see they allow day visitors, maybe I'll go somewhere else and just go check it out for a day. A 1.8kg fish is not too shabby, and I bet bigger ones are lurking.

No-one want to share their Millstream weeks....? hehe :biggrin:

Welcome back Mike. Looooong time no hear.
    Has your cell no changed ? If so please PM me your number.
    Time we fished again.....
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659