Thread: Fly Fishing Champs - Pilgrims Rest

Default Fly Fishing Champs - Pilgrims Rest

I believe the Youth Fly Fishing National Champs were held at Pilgrims Rest last week. Does anyone know more about this event, anyone actually participate? I would like to find out what the fishing was like, was it on the Blyde, what number and size of fish came out.

Apparently the Senior A Flyfishing Champs will be held at Pilgrims in 2018. The Blyde has been closed to the public for some time, hence my interest in how the river is fishing, having not been up there in 2 years.
    "Only when the last tree has died,and the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

Quote Originally Posted by sybie99 View Post
    I believe the Youth Fly Fishing National Champs were held at Pilgrims Rest last week. Does anyone know more about this event, anyone actually participate? I would like to find out what the fishing was like, was it on the Blyde, what number and size of fish came out.

Apparently the Senior A Flyfishing Champs will be held at Pilgrims in 2018. The Blyde has been closed to the public for some time, hence my interest in how the river is fishing, having not been up there in 2 years.
    Many fish were caught I'll try to get the final results from my phone (they are in there somewhere) and post.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Many fish were caught I'll try to get the final results from my phone (they are in there somewhere) and post.
    Stocked for the event I guess? actually interested in how the wild population of fish is doing, sure some were caught
    "Only when the last tree has died,and the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

Albe Nel, coach of the WP teams said the fishing was amazing.
    And that was even in the very dry conditions.
    Wild fish and some stock fish, chisel mouth, and large scales.
    he said for him it is almost better than Rhodes.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    he said for him it is almost better than Rhodes.
    Anything would have been better than Rhodes last year. Virtually no water, and the water that was there was badly allocated Most people went away from Rhodes saying they would not be back
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

the fishing was very good i didn't go myself but a few of my friends did
    western cape a won

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

So to answer your questions from what I know.

Yes it was stocked just prior to the event but plenty wild fish came out. Not sure of the ratio though.

MFFA wanted the kids to catch and enjoy the event and minimise the blanks, so as not to discourage the kids. These are kids at the end of the day and they must have fun so that they stay in the sport.
    Parents also fork out lots of money to get them there and to blank 3 of your 5 sessions is just not fun.

So 1016 fish were caught over the event. I think that's a testimony to the organisers and the fishing talent on show.

You can get access to the river from the Vine Restaurant in down town Pilgrims.

Speak to Johnny and he'll arrange a guide for the day and I think there's also minimal day fee.

MFFA have been training and developing the youth in the area so you need to take a guide to show you the spots and to raise some much needed money in that area.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Weepee jou leke deng! Jammer die nulle het hulle gister bietjie pakslae gegee...oh ja Vrystaat!!!!

thanks for feedback grant, good to know its accessible again, will definitely head up there soon for a guided day