Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sinking fly line for Tigers

Default Sinking fly line for Tigers

Hi guys please recommend a sinking fly line i need to buy. I will be fishing Pongola river next month and plan to do a trip to Zambezi river (Sekoma) hopefully next year. I have done some reading on this forum but still not sure. The rod i will be using is a TFO BVK 8wt. I understand you can buy a full sinking line or the other option is a running line with a shooting head. Not sure on the advantages but read somewhere that a full sinking line is thin and prone to tangles. Any recommendations? I've seen a RIO tigerfish line 9wt Di7at the local Sollys fishing tackle shop, not sure if that's a good line.

Thx

all DI 7 lines are thin and prone to tangles, Nature of the beast.
    that is where a good stripping basket comes in handy.
    Or line management on the deck of the boat.
    What works very well, is a you can get a flattish plastic tub type of container.
    FIll with 50mm of water, and strip into the water.
    When casting, the line stays wet, for easier shooting and slight drag or inertia provided by the water prevents a lot of tangles.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Give the Rio Tigerfish line a skip, great coating, but it's a high stretch core.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Have to agree with you there....My opinion is that a tigerfish line should be the fastest sinker that you can find, and have as little stretch as possible to aid with the hook set.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Give the Rio Tigerfish line a skip, great coating, but it's a high stretch core.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks for the feedback and tips Korrie and Scythe, so what which fly line would you recommend, i see Frontiers have a Scientific Anglers Streamer Express is this decent?

I used an airflo, think its called 40plus. It worked well for me.

Yes, the 40 plus is a reasonably good tigerfish line, provided that you can manage it...its not the easiest line to cast accurately, especially if you need to get it up close to papyrus as you do when fishing the Delta. On my trips to the Delta, the guys who fished that line, had difficulty judging the distance of the cast. Its a line that either goes all the way, or not as all.
    Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    I used an airflo, think its called 40plus. It worked well for me.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I have fished Pongola and used a 300 grain fast siinker witha BVK 7wt. Was the perfect line for getting down into the deeper holes quickly before the current gets hold of your line.

Definitely take a stripping basket.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yes, the 40 plus is a reasonably good tigerfish line, provided that you can manage it...its not the easiest line to cast accurately, especially if you need to get it up close to papyrus as you do when fishing the Delta. On my trips to the Delta, the guys who fished that line, had difficulty judging the distance of the cast. Its a line that either goes all the way, or not as all.
    It helps to practice with the line a couple of times before going - it takes getting used to. But I guess thats true of any new line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I have fished Pongola and used a 300 grain fast siinker witha BVK 7wt. Was the perfect line for getting down into the deeper holes quickly before the current gets hold of your line.

Definitely take a stripping basket.
    Thx Bryan can you please give the brand of the 300 grain fast sinker you used?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast