Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 9wt Rod advice please...

Default 9wt Rod advice please...

Hi all.

I'm looking to purchase a 9wt rod for general saltwater use. I want a fast action rod, the faster the better.

Can you please recommend rods that are in the R1000 to R1500 bracket and fast action.

Thank you

Hey,

You're going to battle to find anything worthwhile in that price bracket.

Your best bet would be to start looking at a TFO BVK, the factory builds start at around ~R3K (but a custom build might cost you less if you shop around) where your next closest competitor would start at ~R5K (less if you buy a custom build second hand rod, ask Smallstreams.co.za or E.T. on this forum, they both build great rods and might know of something) or I might know of a second hand 9WT that has seen some quality fish that might still be for sale for around half the new price, which would put it at around the R1K5 mark (excluding postage/shipping, depending on where you are ofcourse)
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Hey,

You're going to battle to find anything worthwhile in that price bracket.

Your best bet would be to start looking at a TFO BVK, the factory builds start at around ~R3K (but a custom build might cost you less if you shop around) where your next closest competitor would start at ~R5K (less if you buy a custom build second hand rod, ask Smallstreams.co.za or E.T. on this forum, they both build great rods and might know of something) or I might know of a second hand 9WT that has seen some quality fish that might still be for sale for around half the new price, which would put it at around the R1K5 mark (excluding postage/shipping, depending on where you are ofcourse)
    What you guys think of xplorer guide 2 9wt rod? Isn't that near the R1.8K mark?

Quote Originally Posted by karoo View Post
    What you guys think of xplorer guide 2 9wt rod? Isn't that near the R1.8K mark?
    I have one of those, it's been tiger fishing in zambia twice, and server it's purpose well, all round not a bad rod. Got mine for just over 1k though

Stealth bomber.....cant go wrong
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

I would second the bomber.

Does the Bomber have a good fast action? I will use a Rio Clouser wf9f line with and it loads my old stealth xtreme to quick.

So I really want a fast rod.

I have a bomber in 7WT which I never use, in my book the bombers are old technology, fast ... but too heavy.

I have also fished them in 6WT, 8WT and 12WT ... same applies ... old, heavy and they're just not "slick" enough, the guides are noisy when you cast, my grip on the 7WT essentially disintegrated, stuff like that.

There are better rods than the Bomber, I would not rate the Exploder Guide Series as one of them.
    Last edited by Scythe; 29-04-14 at 01:42 PM.

Stealth Bomber is the way to go in terms of quality at a reasonable price. The next decent fast action rod is the BVK but its a fair jump in price. I have the Bomber in a 9wt and the BVK in a 7wt and love them both.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Stealth Bomber is the way to go in terms of quality at a reasonable price. The next decent fast action rod is the BVK but its a fair jump in price. I have the Bomber in a 9wt and the BVK in a 7wt and love them both.
    What do the Bombers price new these days?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast