Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Lilydale report back

I cant believe, maybe I just dont want to, that poaching is effecting the Riet for Smallies. Largies yes, I has seen the guys standing at the top of runs and handlining spinners down. Unless many poachers are subsistence fishing, or even commercially? Its such a special river, I hate to hear about this kind of stuff happening there.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Anybody got an idea what the fishing is like at Lilydale lately?

The Riet is a fickle bitch, there is no set pattern. I have been there for a week and had stable conditions, but the fish behaviour is vastly different day to day. Some days there are fish everywhere, fighting eat other to eat dries, other days, there is nothing, other days fish spook from 30ms. Man, I love that place. Cant wait to go back.

Spot on Jade. First two times I were there I thought its so easy people are making it sound much more difficult than it is. I caught fish easily, my wife caught fish easily.

Next two times I got brought down to earth hard..... super super tough fishing
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    Spot on Jade. First two times I were there I thought its so easy people are making it sound much more difficult than it is. I caught fish easily, my wife caught fish easily.

Next two times I got brought down to earth hard..... super super tough fishing
    I can relate, when I last fished there, I literally was brought down to earth by slipping on one of those super smooth volcanic rocks, landed on my back, wading boots and all.
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Anyone know the condition of the water? Just booked a few days there in Dec. Hoping the river got a flush, and the water isnt too clear.

Hello fellow fisherman

I am seriously considering going to check out Lilydale within the next month. Has anyone been recently and could perhaps share some info?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, I was there about a month ago. There was loads of fish, not in the rapids anymore, but taking dries in the heads and tails of pools. Was awesome fishing....
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    Hi, I was there about a month ago. There was loads of fish, not in the rapids anymore, but taking dries in the heads and tails of pools. Was awesome fishing....
    Sounds lekka - Would love to get up there again soon. Maybe for the first rains of summer once the water levels have risen a bit.

Jade I want to go check it out in the middle of winter too - the vaal fishes well in winter so I want to see if the same holds there at Lilydale.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast