Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Boron??

What are they?

Boron, is actually a cheap, graphite. Not as good as carbon fibre, They do this to bring the costs down and sound fancy, but in reality, its a load of bullsh1te.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    I have two Boron rods in the shop and they aren't Winston
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Boron, is actually a cheap, graphite. Not as good as carbon fibre, They do this to bring the costs down and sound fancy, but in reality, its a load of bullsh1te.
    So Winston has diversified from tobacco to boron as a raw material?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    hahaha....such a tjop
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

I have two Boron rods in the shop and they aren't Winston
    1 of them will most likely be the Don Phillips solid Boron rod with metal ferrules. The other is an open guess.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Ha ha ha Neil... you full of it today...... Like your humour....:biggrin::biggrin:
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Luckily I have not eaten something before I read this ...

Boron fibers are five times as strong and twice as stiff as steel. They are made by a chemical vapor deposition process in which boron vapors are deposited onto a fine tungsten or carbon filament. Boron provides strength, stiffness and light weight, and possesses excellent compressive properties and buckling resistance. Uses for boron composites range from sporting goods, such as fishing rods, golf club shafts, skis and bicycle frames, to aerospace applications as varied as aircraft empennage skins, truss members and prefabricated aircraft repair patches.

Boron fibers (boron filaments) are high-strength, lightweight materials that are used chiefly for advanced aerospace structures as a component of composite materials, as well as limited production consumer and sporting goods such as golf clubs and fishing rods. The fibers can be produced by chemical vapor deposition of boron on a tungsten filament.

Boron fibers and sub-millimeter sized crystalline boron springs are produced by laser-assisted chemical vapor deposition. Translation of the focused laser beam allows to produce even complex helical structures. Such structures show good mechanical properties (elastic modulus 450 GPa, fracture strain 3.7%, fracture stress 17 GPa) and can be applied as reinforcement of ceramics or in micromechanical systems.

http://composite.about.com/library/weekly/aa980323.htm

André, have you compared results with Young's Modulus between the 2 materials? What are your findings?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

What are they?
    Don Phillips
    Regards
    Craig

Andre
    Sometimes you exceed even yourself in the BS stakes. It is unusual, but it happens

Regards
    Craig

Andre
    Sometimes you exceed even yourself in the BS stakes. It is unusual, but it happens
    That's quite funny

In the words of the Kurgan ...

"... I have something to say! It's better to burn out, than to fade away!"
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast