Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First Aussie catch!

Quote Originally Posted by William Ewels View Post

When you get a gap try heading up to Exmouth or Dampier. I did a 6 day trip with to Dampier with Jono Shales and a couple other guys during June a few years ago - we got 39 species on fly - astonishing fishing
    I'm planning on sending the missus and kids to SA for a visit...I need to stay behind to work...
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Nice one Rendier, congrats on popping your Aussie cherry!

When you head up this way, give me a buzz. Best, Jono

ps, those herring make great live bait for the big salmon which are around at this time of year

Hi Rendier,

If you feel like a spot of trout fishing, just head south west. I am down in Melbourne and the trout fishing between here and Sydney is phenomenal to say the least. Tasmania and New Zealand seems to overshadow the trout fishing on mainland Australia, so I was pleasantly surprised how good it is (the closest trout stream is about half an hour from my house).

As a matter of fact this coming week I am heading out to the Victorian high country for a few days of camping, 4x4ing and trout fishing, but I recon it would be a bit short notice for you to get away.

Anyway, have fun (and stop trying to convert everything you buy into rands... I found that as soon as you start thinking in AUD you can recon yourself settling in).

Arno

Latest catch. Unfortunately not on fly, but I tried real hard to get this one.

The juvenile garfish (Belone belone) are quite plentiful in the shallow surf, but detecting the take can be very hard. They usually catch themselves on the retrieve.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    Latest catch. Unfortunately not on fly, but I tried real hard to get this one.

The juvenile garfish (Belone belone) are quite plentiful in the shallow surf, but detecting the take can be very hard. They usually catch themselves on the retrieve.
    I'm no saltwater whizz by any stretch of the imagination but isnt that a half beak (think they're called bally hoo in Oz)?
    Check your knots!

Looks like a halfbeak to me too ... catch them for bait in Moz.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    I'm no saltwater whizz by any stretch of the imagination but isnt that a half beak (think they're called bally hoo in Oz)?
    They are part of the same generea Hemiramphinae.

Locals in WA call them garfish (http://www.fishingwa.com/content.php...econdtierid=16)
    Rudolph
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    They are part of the same generea Hemiramphinae.

Locals in WA call them garfish (http://www.fishingwa.com/content.php...econdtierid=16)
    Cool - the only reason I commented was because we often get both of them in the surf at vidal/sodwana etc and the tactics needed to catch each of them are quite different.

I've found the gars need a very fast stripped fly on the surface and the halfbeaks need to be chummed and given the old "bread fly" trick.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Cool - the only reason I commented was because we often get both of them in the surf at vidal/sodwana etc and the tactics needed to catch each of them are quite different.

I've found the gars need a very fast stripped fly on the surface and the halfbeaks need to be chummed and given the old "bread fly" trick.
    Learn something everyday. I'm sh1t scared of most fish, cause I don't know which can kill you
    Rudolph
    Confucius

When you do catch a Gar, just watch out, they have big teeth and can fold that long slender body double when they try to bite you ... quite amusing really
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast