Page 13 of 635 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 63 113 513 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaal River Update

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    All sounds good, well done and roll on winter OV!
    The trees around here are wearing their beutifull late autumn yellow already. Be ready for an early winter There again nature does not lie
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Beautiful time of the year this hey? I love it!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    The trees around here are wearing their beutifull late autumn yellow already. Be ready for an early winter There again nature does not lie
    Miss the autumnal change in the UK always beautiful,was in Massachusetts New England in the Autumn on holiday in 97 one of the great sites of the natural world.

Just so the thread stays on track,what are the flows lke in the Douglas AREA or is it slow water there..looking forward to seeing Shamwaris fish..
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Flies that worked: Orange PTN hotspot, FB nymph, and dark olive rockworm.
    What size hooks did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus View Post
    What size hooks did you use?
    Size 14 hotspot, size 16 - 18 the rest.

Don't be so happy about an early winter cats, you remember what happened with the cold water last year right ? Oh I forget, most of you were inside snuggling while I was fishing !

The current temperature is already 18 odd deg C. If the temperatures average the same as last year, it's going to be tough for the last two months of winter (at least) and we don't have nearly enough LargeMouth in the upper Vaal to keep us as busy as the middle/lower Vaal guys.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

I thought that for once we would follow the Slaaaaapenaaars and post one thread for updates on the guys fishing on the Vaal.

Took Shamwari for his second Vaal outing to Strome today. Flows were around 40 ( guestimate ) so did not pull the Noah trick. Even though Shamwari is young and fit rowing back upstream for 3k's against those flows would have been cruel.
    The good news is that Shamwari has NOT blanked on his first 2 trips to the Vaal. He got about 4 yellows and his VERY FIRST muddie today. A nice specimen of 1.9kg, on a 4# noggal. ( I'll leave it to him to post the pic's, which I hope he does, just so that you all can see that GRIN .)
    Flies that worked: Orange PTN hotspot, FB nymph, and dark olive rockworm.
    All in all a very pleasant morning.

Also nice to meet another forumer, Gerhard aka "Flashback" ( I hope I got that right ). He actually got me thinking about a WINTER Vaal 8?. at Strome, floatation devices, boats etc a MUST plus bloody warm clothes.
    Dry fly fishing ONLY for SM, other OK for LM.
    And you all say ??????????????
    Hi Herman

It was good to actually meet some of the guys on the forum on the river.

I managed the following after you guys left
    6 X SM
    5 X Middies
    1 X Barber that kept me busy for almost a hour.
    Could not land it with my net as it was a bit big I think about 5kg.....

I stopped fishing at around 5 as the air got a bit cold and that barbel made sure I was wet right up to my shoulders.

Flies that worked
    GRHE variation with grey and red
    PTN orange and green
    Blood worms variation on a sixe 18 hook I will have to send you a photo of this fly !

I shoulb be going again this weekend but will let you guys know.

Howzit Chaps

Thanks Herman for the report. I thoroughly enjoyed the day...again!!!! I will be going back for more and more.

Hey Flashback, flippit, welldone on the catch report there....

As Herman said, my grin was almost as big as the muddie.....that fish gave me a moerse skrik.....thought my 4wt would give in at a stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    Howzit Chaps

Thanks Herman for the report. I thoroughly enjoyed the day...again!!!! I will be going back for more and more.

Hey Flashback, flippit, welldone on the catch report there....

As Herman said, my grin was almost as big as the muddie.....that fish gave me a moerse skrik.....thought my 4wt would give in at a stage.
    First Muddie ever at 1.9KG, well done to the young man.
    Must admit though I had to chuckle to myself, Jules' reaction after he realised this fish fought deep, stubborn & dirty.

First Muddie ever at 1.9KG, well done to the young man.
    Must admit though I had to chuckle to myself, Jules' reaction after he realised this fish fought deep, stubborn & dirty.
    I got the fright of my life! What a pleasure on 1 4 wt.....

ps: Herman, thanks for the usage of your landing net....saved the day

Page 13 of 635 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 63 113 513 ... LastLast