PDA

View Full Version : art lee uni splice knot

nicholas
01-12-11, 05:05 PM
After all the knot chat l found this simple knot in toms book hunting trout it is so easy to attach it makes all other knots obsolete to me when joining leader to fly line,Will upload step by step later, sorry its the wrong way round but you get the idea, you can always turn your computer sideways:D

nicholas
01-12-11, 06:02 PM
Just a note on strenghth as it seems to be the key factor to some......i tied this knot on an old fly line with the butt end of a 4x tapered leader i tied it around a door handle and pulled, the knot did not budge all it did was stretch the line and i nearly took the door handle off:D

gkieser
01-12-11, 06:14 PM
If i am not mistaken, that looks like it ends up exactly the same as a nail knot, but just a different way of tying it which looks like an easier way.

nicholas
01-12-11, 06:25 PM
If i am not mistaken, that looks like it ends up exactly the same as a nail knot, but just a different way of tying it which looks like an easier way.

I think your right, grant its so easy its scary,its almost like something that simple should not work.

KevinE
02-12-11, 02:16 AM
I use this knot regularly. It is basically an easy to tie nail knot. By far the easiest way to join a leader to a flyline.

Korrie
02-12-11, 07:43 AM
Very easy, very efficient, but not recommend with fly lines with a monofilament core.

nail nots etc can strip the outer coating off when pulling hard.

nicholas
02-12-11, 07:54 AM
Very easy, very efficient, but not recommend with fly lines with a monofilament core.

nail nots etc can strip the outer coating off when pulling hard.

How hard would the pull have to be for this to happen, surley would not happen on the streams?

Korrie
02-12-11, 08:05 AM
Nick

definitley not on a 20 to 30cm trout. Even a 40cm trout will not have enough pulling power.

FishWhisperer
05-12-11, 08:00 PM
Ive been using this for a few years on all my trout lines and I havn't had any slip. The closest I ever came was the coating on a very old Di5 cracked at the knot - I just redid the knot on the water. Its that easy.

I dont know why they loop the fly line as well in the pics, its pointless. Keep the fly line and leader going in opposite directions, turn the leader tag and back to create the loop (keeping the flyline straight) and continue from there. 4 turns works great for me. Ive always just called it a nail-less nail knot :)