PDA

View Full Version : Posion - Midge control

BrianNel
12-03-12, 10:39 AM
Morning
This weekend I heard, with obvious concern, about poison used to control midges at one of my venues on the Orange River. Apparently it is some kind of brown liquid and they spray it onto the water from a chopper. Does anybody know this kind of poison? Since the time it was sprayed last year I have not noticed any fish kills or change in aquatic insect life. In fact the system seems very healthy especially with the apex predators :D. If they are healthy then the system usually is healthy.
Thanks,
B

Korrie
13-03-12, 07:39 AM
This happens every year.
The BITTING midges becomes a plague.
It becomes intolerable next to the river with thousands and thousands swarming and biting every living thing.

BansheeZA
13-03-12, 08:10 AM
those biting midges are a real pest on the vaal. i allways look like a war veteran when coming from orkney golf club even with long trousers and tabard. and those bites swell and makes all kind of nastys befor healing

Andre
13-03-12, 08:33 AM
http://www.techletter.com/Archive/Technical%20Articles/midgechemicalctrl.html

Here's some interesting reading on the matter. I know that many of the proponents of midge control, view it as harmless to the rest of the system, but i wonder....

BuzzLiteBeer
13-03-12, 11:26 AM
I thought Chironomids were yellowfish food.

BrianNel
13-03-12, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was wondering how concerned I should be, but as I said the whole area around the river there seems more than fine. Oh ja, there are still lots of midges left, got the itches to prove it!:p

jdwet1980
13-03-12, 12:56 PM
As long as I can remeber have they being doing this and it hapens annually. A nice campfire usualy keeps these "brandassies" (Afr.) at bay.