PDA

View Full Version : Stellenbosch trout

LeRoy
02-05-07, 01:50 PM
Hi there, Guys!
I'm super bummed out, man. The Breede river trip I've been planning has fallen through the carpet of eternal dust. Also, this weekend's weather kept me from going after my first saltwater fish on fly, again.
However, we ARE heading to Stellenbosch next week. The Flywaters Eikendal braai you guys held obviously got me thinking. Now my questions, if I may. Who operates the venue, is there a possibility of meeting any flytalk guys there, and can one catch yourself a trout there? Bear in mind that my completely inexperienced SWAMBO is just as desperate as me to catch a trout, and I quite officially suck at trout fishing. But, man, we'd like to catch some. So if there's fish to catch, maybe with the help of a few pointers from someone more experienced, and a possibility of finally meeting some flytalkers, my depression has a fair chance of falling through said carpet itself.
Oh, yes, what are the rates? And flies are obviously available on site, ey? Can't find ANY decent fly tying materials around here at the moment, so I'll have to buy some for the trout. Post getting too long I see. Thanks, all!!:)

Rendier
02-05-07, 02:09 PM
Hi LeRoy

Missed the big launch of the venue, but it's run by Flywaters. Phillip is running the shop as far as I understood. Don't have his number, but give Sean a call: Sean Mills on 083-690-8523.

LeRoy
02-05-07, 02:22 PM
Thanks, Rendier!
I must not have made enough time for reading, or I've surrendered myself to self-chosen ignorance, but does that mean that it is a trout fishing venue with a Flywaters shop that's run by Phillip? Cos in that case it sounds worth a trip..
Cheers!

Rendier
02-05-07, 02:36 PM
Thanks, Rendier!
I must not have made enough time for reading, or I've surrendered myself to self-chosen ignorance, but does that mean that it is a trout fishing venue with a Flywaters shop that's run by Phillip? Cos in that case it sounds worth a trip..
Cheers!

That's my understanding as well. Trout, bass and tilapia(sp?) available.

LeRoy
02-05-07, 02:43 PM
Really!? That is cool. Never caught tilapia on fly before. No keeping me away any more now. Any idea of the rates? Do they have a website?
Thanks, Rendier!:)

rols
02-05-07, 02:44 PM
hi leroy
the shop is run by philip and he has a stock of equipment as well as flies. there are 2 dams. one with trout and kurper and one with nice bass and big kurpers. it is definately a venue for swambo to fish and get some nice fish. it is also on a wine farm where you can sample the wine and it has a restaurant. hav'nt eaten there. very very nice venue. give us a shout when you are going and maybe some of us can meet you. i will pm you philips number.
have fun
cheers
rols

BuzzLiteBeer
02-05-07, 02:45 PM
Philip can be reached at 082 376 3529.

LeRoy
02-05-07, 02:49 PM
Thanks a lot, Roland!
As of next week I won't have access to the web (Internet at work only:( ), but I'd love to meet some of you guys. Please PM me a cell number or two, so I will be able to give you that shout. Man, big kurper you say, and good for SWAMBO, wine, good food.. sounds fantastic! :) :)

rols
02-05-07, 02:50 PM
hey buzz
pity we did'nt get a chance to meet, i was also there and had a great day.
leroy
the tilapia are big. one guy hooked a 2.6kg and some serious bass
cheers

Pierre
02-05-07, 02:52 PM
It is best to fish the morning. The dam with the Bass and BIG kurpur is nice to sight fish. This is not possible in the afternoon with the glare.

Rendier
02-05-07, 02:54 PM
hey buzz
leroy
cheers

Almost made it there, but I went out to Zandvlei the morning and also did some fishing up in Knysna. SWAMBO gave me the "Sure you can go if you like" answer and I somehow knew this was not what she meant...

LeRoy
02-05-07, 03:00 PM
It is best to fish the morning. The dam with the Bass and BIG kurpur is nice to sight fish. This is not possible in the afternoon with the glare.

Thanks, Pierre!
We'll probably be staying a whole day, though. Target those monster sounding Kurper in the morning, and try for trout and bass for the rest of the day. Man it sounds great. Good substitute for my pet smallies!
Cheers..

rols
02-05-07, 03:00 PM
Almost made it there, but I went out to Zandvlei the morning and also did some fishing up in Knysna. SWAMBO gave me the "Sure you can go if you like" answer and I somehow knew this was not what she meant...
yep, sure sounds like a double barreled answer that. seen any new jewelry since you been back?:D
cheers

LeRoy
02-05-07, 03:01 PM

Man, it sounds like I'm a uniquely lucky guy..:D

LeRoy
02-05-07, 03:07 PM
hey buzz
leroy
cheers

I suppose advice on flies etc. for these horses is available on site? And if I don't have them in my box I just go buy some from Phillip? 2,6 kilo's is a big frickin' kurper. Hot damn!

rols
02-05-07, 03:18 PM
a variety of flies worked. green fritz did the trick for one guy who caught 15. black also came through, but philip has a range there.

LeRoy
02-05-07, 03:27 PM
Good to know, thanks, Roland. My box is chock full of smallmouth bass flies. That's it. So Philip's advice and shop will come in handy. Just out of curiosity (read "desperation to hook something, and to be prepared to do so") though, with 15, do you mean 15 fish, 15 kurper, 15 trout..?:o

LeRoy
02-05-07, 03:31 PM
Good to know, thanks, Roland. My box is chock full of smallmouth bass flies. That's it. So Philip's advice and shop will come in handy. Just out of curiosity (read "desperation to hook something, and to be prepared to do so") though, with 15, do you mean 15 fish, 15 kurper, 15 trout..?:o

That, by the way, will be my last silly question in this thread. I'm sounding like I like the sound of my own voice quite a lot. Maybe I'm just in the mood to talk too much. Beats concentrating on work. Sorry guys..

rols
02-05-07, 04:04 PM
That, by the way, will be my last silly question in this thread. I'm sounding like I like the sound of my own voice quite a lot. Maybe I'm just in the mood to talk too much. Beats concentrating on work. Sorry guys..
15 trout and he apparently lost 7

Rendier
02-05-07, 04:07 PM
yep, sure sounds like a double barreled answer that. seen any new jewelry since you been back?:D
cheers

Funny thing is, I popped in at a jeweler on my way back from Zandvlei. :D

That's Mother's Day sorted

LeRoy
02-05-07, 04:17 PM
Thank you all for the info. As always appreciated!:) I'll report on what happened on our trip there.
Cheers..