PDA

View Full Version : The Importance of Fly Casting

FlyCraft
31-03-15, 07:45 PM
A while back some guys went to one of the Indian Ocean islands on a trip and wanted advice on flies etc. After Mark Yelland visited us on Eikendal in December I called him to get some hands on info ito fly patterns etc. for this specific location. We had a lengthy discussion of which most most part was about taking clients to great locations and their casting ability leave very little to be desired. I have seen this so many times and it is really frustrating for the guide/host if all the factors when it comes to weather, fish availability etc. are just perfect but the client can not deliver the fly.

Often the wind is hectic when it comes to the salt and you can not simply walk around the flat/estuary/ocean to cast from the opposite shore. Double hauling is often essential especially when it comes to covering water, casting bigger flies and dealing with wind. "The Beast Tamer" just started his operation targeting largemouth yellows and his frustration will come in the form of the client being able to cast accurately, often the case when river/stream fishing for many species.

A fly casting lesson or two, or just simply practising your casting before a trip will add so much more to the trip and quite often lots more fish.

If you plan a golfing trip to St Andrews surely it would be wise to practise before the time and know what the effect of wind is on a golf ball, or just accept shooting a 60 over the first nine and rather enjoy the whisky :encouragement:

Gerrit Viljoen
31-03-15, 08:07 PM
Good post! (the part about the booz) ;)

Casting is by far the most crucial element for LM fishing. Saw it again today the client did exactly what I told him to do and within 3 casts he got picked up! He continued to do as he was told and missed another fish later in the day. He wasn't casting 70m,he was fishing in close but accurately and it landed him a fish of a lifetime.But, if you've never done it before (casting lone lines, fishing from boat,etc) off course it's gonna be difficult.

FlyCraft
31-03-15, 08:17 PM
Good post! (the part about the booz) ;)

Casting is by far the most crucial element for LM fishing. Saw it again today the client did exactly what I told him to do and within 3 casts he got picked up! He continued to do as he was told and missed another fish later in the day. He wasn't casting 70m,he was fishing in close but accurately and it landed him a fish of a lifetime.

The above makes your job way lot easier. You will get the days when the client can't cast 8m within 10 false casts, spooking all the 5" smallmouth yellows never mind a 500 gram largemouth. Then it is better to troll the fly :biggrin: Probably a great idea to tell them this prior to the trip. "Practise your casting, I will tell you where, but it is up to you to deliver the fly"

The problem is, many will blame you for not delivering a pic.

Gerrit Viljoen
31-03-15, 08:25 PM
Ek gaan my internet connection blame! :cheerful:

FlyCraft
31-03-15, 08:28 PM
Dis nou n blink plan! Anders, photoshop is jou maat.

core fly
01-04-15, 08:03 AM
I had the exact conversation with Mark yelland this past weekend.
I think many clients believe they can cast and dont like to be told what to do when it comes to casting.
Most people say they can cast a full line,but as we discused this past weekend,put him waist deep in a river or flats and he struggles.
Casting a long line is hard sometimes,but its when you have other factors involved that makes it damn right difficult,and that is when a good caster comes into his own.
I think if you cant at least pick up half a flyline of the grass or water and give one haul to get it out you are not a good distance caster.

Andre
01-04-15, 08:19 AM
I think the real test of a casters distance ability, is to be able to cast a full line, while sitting down on the pontoon of an Ark, next to another guy, whose also casting. Using a 5 or 6 wt, with a 20 foot leader, and three flies spaced a meter apart. If you can get a full line out in those circumstances, then youre good.
I had the exact conversation with Mark yelland this past weekend.
I think many clients believe they can cast and dont like to be told what to do when it comes to casting.
Most people say they can cast a full line,but as we discused this past weekend,put him waist deep in a river or flats and he struggles.
Casting a long line is hard sometimes,but its when you have other factors involved that makes it damn right difficult,and that is when a good caster comes into his own.
I think if you cant at least pick up half a flyline of the grass or water and give one haul to get it out you are not a good distance caster.

core fly
01-04-15, 08:43 AM
Jip.then you very good.And do that without getting a wind knot and you a pro :-)

Andre
01-04-15, 08:58 AM
For sure....most guys cant cast a three fly rig standing up, let alone sitting.
Jip.then you very good.And do that without getting a wind knot and you a pro :-)

FlyCraft
01-04-15, 10:10 AM
Watching the Italian team last year in Czech roll casting almost an entire fly line from the bank was simply amazing and just emphasized what can be achieved. The banks were very steep behind you on the bank session lake. One of the French guys on the bank session lake could cast an Airflo 40+, really 40 +.