PDA

View Full Version : An Emergency

Korrie
04-10-15, 11:20 AM
I have always been concerned about the way the standard or Catskill dry flies sit on the water.
The same applied to a Parachute fly. They all had have a Halo effect with the hackle.
Standard mayflies does not have a HALO leg setup.
All of the flies mentioned, does catch plenty of fish.
With one of my previous creations, X-FACTOR. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?12067-X-FACTOR-do-you-have-it

It was tied to resemble the profile of the fly and create a similar silhouette and foot print on the water.
Have a look at the photos of the mayflies and look at the legs

Korrie
04-10-15, 11:23 AM
If you look at the photos of Parachute flies that I have googled it also does not "look like a mayfly"

Korrie
04-10-15, 11:25 AM
Make no mistake, they are SUPER efficient flies and catch lots and lots of fish.

Since the X-Factor, I have been thinking about a more "life like" Parachute fly
How do get a better profile?
How do I get a better foot print?
Well I think I finally found it.

Korrie
04-10-15, 11:29 AM
This is a variant on the standard Parachute fly.
I have taken a Parachute fly and altered the tying a little and according to my humble reasoning, improved it a bit. :)

You tie any standard parachute fly. Adams as an example.
You can tie the parachute the way that you prefer
The difference comes after you have tied in the hackle.

Jax
04-10-15, 12:12 PM
Waiting with bated breath for the Punch Line and Photos

Korrie
04-10-15, 12:13 PM
Some photos of the process

Korrie
04-10-15, 12:16 PM
The difference starts once you have tied of the parachute hackle.
Apply dubbing to the thread and split the parachute and the hackle in front and back along the hookshank.
Do a figure 8 wrap thru the parachute and thru the hackle, swinging around the hook shank.
You can also do a criss cross wrap along the same lines to build up the thorax section.

Korrie
04-10-15, 12:17 PM
Waiting with bated breath for the Punch Line and Photos

Hi Jax
will come, struggling a bit with Windows 10 and resizing and computer wanting to restart. :( :(
Had to resize everything again and start all over

Korrie
04-10-15, 12:25 PM
You can tie the abodmen first or last depending on what or which style you prefer.
You can have a quill abdomen, dubbed abdomen, this is only applicable to the parachute and hackle.

Korrie
04-10-15, 12:29 PM
The photos are of the very first ones I have tied, one or 2 small changes have been made.
the idea is to create a fly with the perfect foot print, silhouette and profile

Korrie
04-10-15, 12:32 PM
You can use the same method on a Wulff style wing to split the hackle.
one or 2 have mentioned the A symetrical form of the legs due the the rotation of the hackle.
one way to counter this is to have 2 hackles and wind it in different directions.
When split it is Symetrical

As for the name "An Emergency" well if you jumped out of an aeroplane and your parachute had a split in, it would be "AN EMERGENCY" :) :)

Korrie
04-10-15, 12:34 PM
I will post more photos of the more recent models I tied, plus some of the testing in the wash tub and glass of water "look at the bottom and side view"
I have not tried this on the water, due to work pressure, but cannot wait to throw some of these to the trout.

gkieser
04-10-15, 06:44 PM
Here's how i like to do it:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee262/gkieser/DSC05904crop.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee262/gkieser/DSC05916crop2.jpg

gkieser
04-10-15, 06:48 PM
Hook is Grip 14723BL - upside down it makes a lovely Aduly mayfly shape with head lifted up off water.

All you need to do is tie in a normal Katskill style hackle, and then you cut the bottom third off. Tie the rest Elk Hair caddis style and koki the dear hear head black and you have a lovely Adult Mayfly semi realistic fly.

Another very good technique to achieve the same thing is to use the Stacked Hackle technique. This also makes a fly with a beautiful profile on the surface.

Jax
04-10-15, 11:51 PM
I must say I like the effect. I am sure to use it. Thanks.

dollar
05-10-15, 05:43 AM
nice fly Gkieser, some more info please, with the hackle cut one third underneath to the thorax does the fly land most times up right (i would think one should cut it completly off - flush to the thorax) and have you ever tried using cdc for the wing instead of elk hair

dollar
05-10-15, 06:28 AM
thanks Korrie, nice post and will certainly try out this clever idea

Korrie
05-10-15, 07:44 AM
Hook is Grip 14723BL - upside down it makes a lovely Aduly mayfly shape with head lifted up off water.

All you need to do is tie in a normal Katskill style hackle, and then you cut the bottom third off. Tie the rest Elk Hair caddis style and koki the dear hear head black and you have a lovely Adult Mayfly semi realistic fly.

Another very good technique to achieve the same thing is to use the Stacked Hackle technique. This also makes a fly with a beautiful profile on the surface.

Many years ago, I saw a very similar pattern, but without the hackle
http://www.lurebg.com/FlyFishing/dry_flyes/dry_flyes.htm
(PS: a very good site, although very difficult to understand. :(

Korrie
05-10-15, 04:25 PM
Many years ago, I saw a very similar pattern, but without the hackle
http://www.lurebg.com/FlyFishing/dry_flyes/dry_flyes.htm
(PS: a very good site, although very difficult to understand. :(

This link opens to all the dry flies, this is the one I refered to

gkieser
06-10-15, 06:19 PM
nice fly Gkieser, some more info please, with the hackle cut one third underneath to the thorax does the fly land most times up right (i would think one should cut it completly off - flush to the thorax) and have you ever tried using cdc for the wing instead of elk hair

Thanks dollar - i meant that 1 third of the entire circumference is cut, ie 120 degrees - so the hackle to the sides of the dear hair is like legs pushing out at an angle. This is something that i saw in a fly pattern that Kevin showed me called a Green Drake, where in that particular variation they also cut the underside of the hackle to make the fly sit lower on the water. It just made sense to me so i tried it with these hooks to try get a shape of a mayfly as it sits on the surface.

You could substitute the Dear hair for whatever you want - it's not fundamental to how the fly will sit on the water. I just like it because it is easy to tie into the fly, is nice and aerodynamic for casting, floats well and is very very visible (most NB for me - if i cant see it, it can be the best fly in the world and i aint gonna catch with it).

The fish do really like it too!

gkieser
06-10-15, 06:20 PM
This link opens to all the dry flies, this is the one I refered to

Thats an interesting one too! I think tied with a standard catskills hackle it would sit nicer on the water though.

Jean Bence
07-10-15, 08:47 AM
Very nice Grant. Thanks for the share. Really like the way it sits.

dollar
07-10-15, 11:05 AM
thank you Gkieser