PDA

View Full Version : Unique thoughts and inspirations

Chris Shelton
30-10-06, 04:37 PM
Given the wealth of information that is available on the net and in some of the fantastic books on flyfishing that are out there, I got to thinking; From our collective experiences we have it in us to put together a few books of our own I am sure. I notice a reluctance on the part of a lot of you to initiate or share your ideas on any of the meatier topics that we all have in us to share, perhaps because you feel you are not worthy, or perhaps you feel that others will laugh at you. I would like to discourage this train of thought as much as possible. True, we can get whatever information we need from any amount of literature out there, and I would encourage that too, but I do think the forum should be about sharing our own unique thoughts and ideas, however trivial they might seem. There is enough experience among us to keep things on the right track and I dont think any of us should be putting ourselves or others down ever. Let's keep it fresh and let's keep it alive! The last thing I want to do is to be reading a lot of boring quotations from books on here. I have the books for that. I personally enjoy reading your personal thoughts and ideas and the ensuing discussions that arise from these.

My 2c

Nepptune
30-10-06, 05:06 PM
Chris,

After getting to know a few of us on this forum, are you REALLY sure you want to know any of our inner thoughts and workings of the minds of this motley crew??? :eek:

Andre :D

Fario
30-10-06, 05:09 PM
You do'nt want to know my inner thoughts:D

Chris Shelton
30-10-06, 05:15 PM
sh1t, here we go again! You okes are just too much! :D

Nepptune
30-10-06, 05:25 PM
Sorry Chris, I guess I should have known that my post would start us off on the wrong foot.......... Oh well..... :-)

Gimme a few days to compaose my inner thoughts into something coherent and I'll post them up!!! :-)

In seriousness, I think this is a great idea though. Flyfishers, and all TRUE anglers, are generally strong individuals with a very different way at looking at the world around us, and I think each and every one of us has a view or opinion that, without blowing our own horns too much, could certainly be inspiring or at least informative to others, both anglers and non anglers....

I just have to think of one now! ;-)

NeilRowe
30-10-06, 05:31 PM
And some of us remain true to the heritage of Halford!

fish
30-10-06, 08:21 PM
Thanks Chris and all who are actively involved in this forum,

I want to see more beginners posting on the forum, ask questions and get involved. A young boy of around 8 years told me today he went fly fishing with his uncle, after seeing his uncle fly casting he told him to leave the fly in the water to give the fish time to eat it. Consequently his uncle explained to him it was to let out more line and present the fly after some false casting. Well needless to say he can't wait to get his own rod.

Just by "listening" to the more experienced fly fishers on the forum I know beginners obtain some very useful information. After all the vision of Fly Talk is and will always be to share our passion and information.

Thanks again.

Nepptune
31-10-06, 10:01 AM
Fish

I'm sure we all would love to share any knowledge we have with any youngsters are new comers to flyfishing, and what better and more accesible place than here on the net.....
But as you can see, we are also guilty of wondering of, either into *** praat, which we all enjoy immensely, or babbling along on esoteric subjects which at times, though perhaps amusing to a newbie, might make it a little more difficult for them to actually learn things.....

Perhpas, and I know we have a huge number of Topics/Forums already, but maybe a beginners area would be a good thing with a few Stickys on the basics, where people who have the knowledge to impart to youngsters, or newbies could ask basic questions to get them started could be set up.
Maybe a weekely tutorial on a different aspect of fly angling could be set up and done by one of the Steelheaders on here. The reason I suggest it here, rather than on the front page is that folks can ask questions and get direct feedback very quickly from the author as well as others.
You could also moderate this area very strictly, just to make sure no one rambles off in the wrong direction or too much *** praating goes on etc.....there is planty of space on the rest of the board for that!!!!

What you guys think?

Umhlangarox
31-10-06, 10:27 AM
Fish

I'm sure we all would love to share any knowledge we have with any youngsters are new comers to flyfishing, and what better and more accesible place than here on the net.....
But as you can see, we are also guilty of wondering of, either into *** praat, which we all enjoy immensely, or babbling along on esoteric subjects which at times, though perhaps amusing to a newbie, might make it a little more difficult for them to actually learn things.....

Perhpas, and I know we have a huge number of Topics/Forums already, but maybe a beginners area would be a good thing with a few Stickys on the basics, where people who have the knowledge to impart to youngsters, or newbies could ask basic questions to get them started could be set up.
Maybe a weekely tutorial on a different aspect of fly angling could be set up and done by one of the Steelheaders on here. The reason I suggest it here, rather than on the front page is that folks can ask questions and get direct feedback very quickly from the author as well as others.
You could also moderate this area very strictly, just to make sure no one rambles off in the wrong direction or too much *** praating goes on etc.....there is planty of space on the rest of the board for that!!!!

What you guys think?

I think its a great idea and i am all for it!

Pierre
31-10-06, 02:46 PM
Hi Guys, this is a very good idea. I can assign moderators. I can create a category " Beginners Guide" under that a few different threads can be created, namely.

Tackle - Flies, Flyline, Leaders, Flyrods, Backing, Reels
Casting - Different Casts - We can include the photos here, Philip and I will take some photos.
How to catch - Then list some main species.
Flies - Freshwater, Saltwater
Fly Tying

Please add to the list. Then we have to select modirators for those threads. You guys will have to select.

Umhlangarox
31-10-06, 03:04 PM
Well i know of one Steelhead who could be a moderator:)

KevinC
31-10-06, 03:05 PM
Hi Guys, this is a very good idea. I can assign moderators. I can create a category " Beginners Guide" under that a few different threads can be created, namely.

Tackle - Flies, Flyline, Leaders, Flyrods, Backing, Reels
Casting - Different Casts - We can include the photos here, Philip and I will take some photos.
How to catch - Then list some main species.
Flies - Freshwater, Saltwater
Fly Tying

Please add to the list. Then we have to select modirators for those threads. You guys will have to select.

This might also be a good place to have a conservation/ C&R thread and possibly an 'etiquette on the water/ at the water's edge' thread.

Fario
31-10-06, 03:06 PM
Given the wealth of information that is available on the net and in some of the fantastic books on flyfishing that are out there, I got to thinking; From our collective experiences we have it in us to put together a few books of our own I am sure. I notice a reluctance on the part of a lot of you to initiate or share your ideas on any of the meatier topics that we all have in us to share, perhaps because you feel you are not worthy, or perhaps you feel that others will laugh at you. I would like to discourage this train of thought as much as possible. True, we can get whatever information we need from any amount of literature out there, and I would encourage that too, but I do think the forum should be about sharing our own unique thoughts and ideas, however trivial they might seem. There is enough experience among us to keep things on the right track and I dont think any of us should be putting ourselves or others down ever. Let's keep it fresh and let's keep it alive! The last thing I want to do is to be reading a lot of boring quotations from books on here. I have the books for that. I personally enjoy reading your personal thoughts and ideas and the ensuing discussions that arise from these.

My 2c

What you been smoking bud?:D

Fario
31-10-06, 03:07 PM
Well i know of one Steelhead who could be a moderator:)

No, please, no!:eek:

Chris Shelton
31-10-06, 03:47 PM
No, please, no!:eek:

For once I agree with you :D

Fario
31-10-06, 03:53 PM
I'm crying with laughter!:D :D :D you're really funny man! Do well on the Jerry Springer show!

Chris Shelton
31-10-06, 04:13 PM
I'm crying with laughter!:D you're really funny man! Do well on the Jerry Springer show!

you think?:o Really?:) Oh, i'd like that:rolleyes:

Dyno
31-10-06, 10:52 PM
Wow, Chris on Springer, now that would be funny.

"What's that Jerry, no that fish aint my wife, she's my sister again, we got de-wors'ed"

harry
05-02-07, 12:46 PM
What happened to the original intention of this thead, which remains a great idea? Or did everybody get seriously p****d off by all the side-tracking? Being new to the site, my first remark would be on how much I'm learning from it. This site is a wonderful resource, too good to disappear without being recorded. It would most probably be justifible to publish an update every second or third year.

Chris Shelton
14-02-07, 10:23 AM
Hi Harry, the intention of this thread was never to be 'the' thread for sharing ideas. It was merely intended to get the ball rolling and I think that is coming together quite nicely now, if you look at all the topics that are being covered in the different sections on here.

Scythe
14-02-07, 10:33 AM
OTT I know ... but today is Valentine's day ... my innermost thoughts are all PG18 :D

swsmith
14-02-07, 10:53 AM
you would swear that this is the only day that some of us get "lucky" on.....

Scythe
14-02-07, 11:11 AM
Are you mad ... I'm mostly excited about fishing my new 10' tomorrow :p