PDA

View Full Version : Flytalk get together - Lakensvlei

Chris Shelton
03-07-07, 06:36 PM
I was chatting to Roland about this at Lakies on Saturday. How about a get together at Lakies at the first available opening? What I am especially keen on is the frivolity around the evening campfire, with guitars and mouth organs...in fact anything goes! Those who want to try some night fishing with luminous beads instead are welcome to do so! Perhaps we can ask special permission to pitch tents? How about it guys, shall we try to organise this?

rols
03-07-07, 10:27 PM
I was chatting to Roland about this at Lakies on Saturday. How about a get together at Lakies at the first available opening? What I am especially keen on is the frivolity around the evening campfire, with guitars and mouth organs...in fact anything goes! Those who want to try some night fishing with luminous beads instead are welcome to do so! Perhaps we can ask special permission to pitch tents? How about it guys, shall we try to organise this?
I think this is a great idea. Having spoken to a few of the guys after this last weekends outing, the guys want to fish, and better in a crowd of friends. I will help as much as I can to help you organise something like this. (not a cps member, but will be soon)
cheers

Pierre
04-07-07, 08:31 AM
HI Guys

This sounds like a flippen good idea. I want to go in the next few weeks. Just having my tube repared. Chris , Roland how soon can we make this happen guys ? Do you plan a whole weekend there or just one night ?

Cheers

Dee
04-07-07, 08:45 AM
Hi Chris,
Where's Lakenvlei?
Excuse my ignorance but only been a FFman for 3 months now

Dee

Pierre
04-07-07, 08:47 AM
Hi Chris,
Where's Lakenvlei?
Excuse my ignorance but only been a FFman for 3 months now

Dee

Lakenvlei is in Ceres, Western Cape. Your drive out of ceres up the Matroosberg mountains. Its situated on the pass.

Cheers

Chris Shelton
04-07-07, 08:53 AM
Hi Pierre. We may as well do an all weekender, Friday after work until Sunday. It will obviously hinge on the hut availability in terms of when we can fit it in. I'll chat to Jean later today.

rols
04-07-07, 08:53 AM
HI Guys

This sounds like a flippen good idea. I want to go in the next few weeks. Just having my tube repared. Chris , Roland how soon can we make this happen guys ? Do you plan a whole weekend there or just one night ?

Cheers

hi pierre
i think it would be nice to at least spend one night, of course only if cps give permission to tent. i think thats the first step to find out. if not then we make it a day trip? maybe chris can find this out first and then we take it from there

Pierre
04-07-07, 08:58 AM
You gues to realise that it will be freaking cold at night there. Sleeping in a tent with sudden weather changes can be quite risky. You are also on the highest point in the Boland at 2249m with snow on the mountains...brrrrrrr.....tanne klap

Pierre
04-07-07, 09:02 AM
Hi Pierre. We may as well do an all weekender, Friday after work until Sunday. It will obviously hinge on the hut availability in terms of when we can fit it in. I'll chat to Jean later today.

A weekend sounds good to me. Thanks let us know, how many people can the hut take ? and is it strictly for CPS members ?

KevinC
04-07-07, 09:04 AM
Lekke idea guys but I doubt whether we would get the clearance to do it...

Another option is to stay at the cherry farm or Matroosberg or something... but then the group would be limited to 10 guys (also depending on whether guys are in the hut or not).

If it can be sorted then it would be cool, but Bob is pretty hectic re the rules.

izak
04-07-07, 09:05 AM
That sounds like a lekker plan.

Pierre, If the weather turns ugly, we can sleep in our cars.

izak
04-07-07, 09:10 AM
and is it strictly for CPS members ?

I would think so, at least youll have to be a temporary member. Unless you make friends with Bob :D

Chris Shelton
04-07-07, 11:59 AM
I will only be able to chat to Jean tomorrow, as she is off today. Like Kevin, I have my doubts if it will be passed, but I'll ask anyway. Obviously it will have to be discussed at committee level. The notion of a get together close to the water somewhere is appealing. If Lakies is out, I can't really think of any other options.

rols
04-07-07, 12:25 PM
I will only be able to chat to Jean tomorrow, as she is off today. Like Kevin, I have my doubts if it will be passed, but I'll ask anyway. Obviously it will have to be discussed at committee level. The notion of a get together close to the water somewhere is appealing. If Lakies is out, I can't really think of any other options.
just a suggestion, if no other venue can be organised, why don't we organise a meet up at eikendal, taking petrol costs etc to lakies, it won't sting too much to pay the R100.00 fee and i'm sure we can organise a braai like they did on opening day and those who want to fish, can and at least we get to meet and kuier a bit...or a lot
ideas?

Andre
04-07-07, 01:00 PM
This sounds like a great idea. As far as I am aware, there is a rod limit at Larkies, and pitching tents is not allowed. To get special permission would have to be from the water board, but I know that this has been declined in the past. Have you thought of camping at the Matroosberg reserve? they have awesome camping facilities with hot showers, and it is only a few minutes away.

Arthur
04-07-07, 01:22 PM
Excellent idea Chris - there should be places to stay in the vicinity if not at Lakies itsself. I think the hut is somewhat booked up as well.

Chris Shelton
04-07-07, 02:30 PM
Matroosberg is a good idea. We just need to see if CPS will allow us to exceed the daily rod limit at Lakies

Jasper
05-07-07, 08:12 AM
I would very much like to be included in BOTH suggested get-togethers .... Lakenvlei as well as Eikendal. With enough OBs sleeping is not a problem!!!! :D

KevinC
05-07-07, 08:18 AM
Matroosberg is a good idea. We just need to see if CPS will allow us to exceed the daily rod limit at Lakies

Chris as far as I know the rod limit has been imposed by the local okes and not the CPS... I know our guys down here were taking strain trying to get clearance for all provincial guys when nationals take place (which I think has subsequently been sorted out)... in any event I dont think the CPS can simply disregard it without Bob writing letters of disapproval...

Biscuit
05-07-07, 09:43 AM
Just to let you all know, there is another Lakenvlei near Dullstroom in Mpumalanga! They have a 20 hectare dam well stocked with rainbows and beautiful log cabins. They have just hosted the Presidents team against Swaziland - S A WON OF COURSE! Maybe one day you can check them out.

wernerm
05-07-07, 10:12 AM
Just to let you all know, there is another Lakenvlei near Dullstroom in Mpumalanga! They have a 20 hectare dam well stocked with rainbows and beautiful log cabins. They have just hosted the Presidents team against Swaziland - S A WON OF COURSE! Maybe one day you can check them out.

I'm visiting them for a few days in September, really looking forward to it.

Jasper
05-07-07, 01:32 PM

a 20 Hectare Dam stocked with beautiful log cabins!! .... WOW!!:D

gkieser
05-07-07, 08:35 PM
I think that Lakies' rod limit is 15 but this may be wrong. I would not put a group together of more than 10 before confirming that though.

You would also need to book well in advance to get the hut.

Andre
05-07-07, 08:37 PM
When is this planned for?

rols
05-07-07, 08:38 PM
Hi Grant
Can you check my post in the fly swap thread. We missing each other here

Jasper
10-07-07, 11:39 AM
Is this trip still happening? .... I don't think the rod limit will really be an issue as it is unlikely to get 10 guys all organised and available for a single weekend :D