PDA

View Full Version : Port Alfred / Kenton

chickenpie
28-08-07, 05:03 PM
Hi, can anyone give information on where & what to fish in the port alfred / kenton area in december ?
thanks

Jasper
29-08-07, 10:14 AM
Hi there

Kowie River ... on a pushing tide ... follow the salt water preferably in a boat .... grunter, leervis, kob ... I would not suggest a tube or deep wading as there are some big sharks in the river.

Bushmans and Kariega ... pretty much the same ... although on the Kariega it is sometimes profitable to wade. Also LOTS of sharks (mainly raggies) in the pool below the old car park near the mouth of the Bushmans. We caught most of our Grunter on a slow drift in a boat along teh fringes of the prawn banks.

It is also well worth fishing the Fish River .. but also works best when fishing the interface between the clean green sea water and teh murky river woater on an incoming tide. Drifting in a small boat works best.

When wading the flats beware of electric rays!! :D .. they call them "***** Fish" there ... because the shockee inevitably walks on water!!

Jasper
29-08-07, 10:20 AM
for sea fishing ... probably mainly "Hottentot" ... not the WC variety, Go to Kasuka and walk up the beach towards Port Alfred until you reach the rocks. Another spot well worth a visit is "Diaz Cross" on the coast near Alexandria - a fair walk over the dunes but some excellent fishing.

Boats can also be chartered offering excellent offshore fishing - from reef fish to yellowtail, hake (YES .. hake!), Kob, and sometimes even a few small tuna.

Do not go out with a skpper who does not know the area - lots of up-country skiboat owners come short launching and beaching!

Jasper
29-08-07, 10:24 AM
for FRESHWATER fishing .. nearly every farm dam has a thriving population of Black Bass, and there are some excellent trout waters around Grahamstown. Contact the famous/notorious Martin Davies (Rhodes Ichthyology Dept) for information. Don't try e-mail him because he does not believe in modern technology!! :D

noweeds
29-08-07, 10:47 AM
Spent a lot of time at Kenton.........the sandbanks just upstream of the bridge are really good for leeries on a pushing tide. Also seen some good cob taken here!

chickenpie
31-08-07, 09:36 AM
WOW!!!

Thank you all for your response,
its fantastic!!!

Are there any flies that you recommend?

Cheers
ChickenPie:D

croozer
31-08-07, 10:34 AM
And then , if you head out from port alfred towards Bathurst there is lil shopping centre/village type on the right hand side ----awesome pies !:D

noweeds
31-08-07, 11:29 AM
Boet you DON'T go to that part of the world without having a Beavers Pie.............open 24/7/365...........

chickenpie
29-09-07, 10:46 AM
there is a reason im called chickenpie . . .

thanks we had beaves pies last year and will definitelty be going again this year . . .

:D
chickenpie

Matuka
29-09-07, 01:07 PM
Some very comprehensive info here!

Try contacting an old mate of mine in Grahamstown, he fishes mainly with bait these days, but knows the waters in the area very well.
I'm sure he would join you for an outing if you supply the beer! :D .

Chris Warren 083 229 3263

JamesW
02-09-09, 03:38 PM
Hi guys :)

Heading to Kleinemonde (North of PA) next week for a bit of relaxing and obviously fishing. . .

Could someone please guide me in the right direction for targeting estuarine species in Spring?

It is a closed river, which occasionally opens up to the sea on high tides. . . On conventional tackle i have caught grunter, kob and leerie. . .

Will also be heading to Kenton for a couple of days and PA. . .
What is the fishing like this time of year?

cheers

James

poppernel
02-09-09, 03:48 PM

Heading to Kleinemonde (North of PA) next week for a bit of relaxing and obviously fishing. . .

Could someone please guide me in the right direction for targeting estuarine species in Spring?

It is a closed river, which occasionally opens up to the sea on high tides. . . On conventional tackle i have caught grunter, kob and leerie. . .

cheers

James

HI James,

Best to get hold of Skerpieoen ( Jauno), he has a beach house in this area. Also remember!! September is cob time in estuaries in the E.C. Leeries should start being more abundant as well with elf always around as long as baitfish are there. Warmer currents seem to come in close from now on.

DAVE

Byron
02-09-09, 03:58 PM

cheers

James

There are span of mullet in the rivers at klienemonde, if you know how to catch them that could be fun on light tackle (i haven't cracked the mullet code - but I know how to catch them with a bat and net behind a motor on a duck). If the lagoon is blind then there might be some hungry leeries in there - but unless you have a boat you may battle as the banks are pretty bushed up, a canoe or paddle ski will get you around them nicely as they are pretty small.

As for Kenton I can't help much as I'm never really there at this time of year but there is always something to be caught in the rivers - best to check with the locals what is on and where. Flick a fly off the sand bar floating restaurant at night and you will pick up some cob and other species. Take some drop shot you will have a blast around the mouths on an incoming tide.

FishWhisperer
02-09-09, 06:51 PM
Just some extra info to add to this thread: On the Bushmans river there is a floating restaurant. Go have some dinner there and then when it is dark have a throw from there. They have a light on the water 24/7 and the little moonies and baitfish swarm around there. If you cast just outside the light, that is where the kobbies hang out. We got ours at about 3am though. Otherwise there are a ton of grunter all over the banks further up river. Enjoy.

poppernel
02-09-09, 07:07 PM
Just some extra info to add to this thread: On the Bushmans river there is a floating restaurant. Go have some dinner there and then when it is dark have a throw from there. They have a light on the water 24/7 and the little moonies and baitfish swarm around there. If you cast just outside the light, that is where the kobbies hang out. We got ours at about 3am though. Otherwise there are a ton of grunter all over the banks further up river. Enjoy.

We did the same while dining there.:D Good fun!! clapped some skippies in our ''mellow'' moods. Was good fun anyways.!!!!!

DAVE

poppernel
02-09-09, 07:09 PM
By the way: Snapper prawn= Rule BUSHMENS.

DAVE