PDA

View Full Version : Invaders!!!

George Thom
12-09-07, 11:35 AM
One thing I noticed was all the ranting about bass being alien and the king of the problem.But what about carp.It is also an alien specie.I've seen a carp polish Talipa's nests clean of eggs.I've never come accros this in a river, but have sighted it in numerous stillwaters.So why kill all the bass and do nothing about the carp?

pieterkriel
12-09-07, 11:46 AM
One thing I noticed was all the ranting about bass being alien and the king of the problem.But what about carp.It is also an alien specie.I've seen a carp polish Talipa's nests clean of eggs.I've never come across this in a river, but have sighted it in numerous still waters.So why kill all the bass and do nothing about the carp?

You are a 100% correct, effectively the Carp in the Vaal, and all our Water systems in South Africa are also invaders, and yes if they can find other fish's spawn they will eat it. However in the Vaal Yellowfish the indigenous species in the Vaal spawn in water that Carp rarely frequent, but they do compete for food with the Yellowfish. I don't know however how carp impacts on yellows in stillwater in SA, probably also only with regard to what they do to the water quality(causing discoloration) and competing with feed, because in stillwater where Yellowfish spawn is also in areas I don't suspect carp to frequent.

Another thing about carp is the huge carp fishing industry around it, if we kill all carp a lot of the economic benefit will disappear.

So in short I imagine the answer is yes they do impact in a way, but not directly.

Fact is, and this has been discussed in length in other threads, is that exotic fish should never have been introduced in any body of water they did not naturally occur, but now years after our wise fore fathers have done all this, it might just be to late, and we can only manage the situation as good as we can.

dizzy
12-09-07, 01:14 PM
Another thing about carp is the huge carp fishing industry around it, if we kill all carp a lot of the economic benefit will disappear.The same can be said for bass!

What about the blue gills(?) and other introduced species in the Cape, how did they impact on indigenous species

Andre
12-09-07, 01:24 PM
The same can be said for bass!

What about the blue gills(?) and other introduced species in the Cape, how did they impact on indigenous species

Ja , this topic has come up regularly on the forum. At some point, trout will be brought into it. I certainly don't want the trout to be taken away, but realistically, they are as alien as bass, carp, bluegill etc. So we have to be consistent in our opinions. If we want to eradicate alien species from our rivers, it should be all or nothing. Dams are different as the alien species can be contained.

pieterkriel
12-09-07, 01:56 PM
Ja , this topic has come up regularly on the forum. At some point, trout will be brought into it. I certainly don't want the trout to be taken away, but realistically, they are as alien as bass, carp, bluegill etc. So we have to be consistent in our opinions. If we want to eradicate alien species from our rivers, it should be all or nothing. Dams are different as the alien species can be contained.

Accept however if that dam is connected to one of our bigger rivers

MaXiMuM
12-09-07, 03:32 PM
Kill the infidels

Out with them

By By Bass

By By Carp

By By all that other Craap

Save our Yellow

Save our Fish

Save our heritage

The last thing we need, Is another extinct species

Jasper
13-09-07, 09:07 AM
trout
bass
carp
sparrows
minah birds
squirrels
fallow deer
oak trees
roses .... etc etc etc etc
people of European, Asian, Oriental descent :eek:

KILL THEM ALL!!!! :D

pieterkriel
13-09-07, 09:15 AM
reading this, I realize that soon I might be a endangered species, o wait I am already, in the workplace, on the road, at my house, when fishing that secluded spot :(

Wade
13-09-07, 09:16 AM
trout
bass
carp
sparrows
minah birds
squirrels
fallow deer
oak trees

Here here

and lets not forget all those things that are made in other countries (Sage, Abel, Orvis, Merc, BM, Playstation, Microsoft,...)

(Singing): "It's the end of the world as we know it.."

Jasper
13-09-07, 09:23 AM
Here here

and lets not forget all those things that are made in other countries (Sage, Abel, Orvis, Merc, BM, Playstation, Microsoft,...)

(Singing): "It's the end of the world as we know it.."

and cars ... well actually the wheel
horses
Beethoven
electricity
running water
antibiotics
writing
tobacco
wine
whiskey and whisky
... in fact EVERYTHING except fynbos, Yellowfish & Galaxia Minnows!! :eek::D

smallstreams.co.za
13-09-07, 09:51 AM
trout
bass
carp
sparrows
minah birds
squirrels
fallow deer
oak trees

Add

Pork
Lamb
Beef
Corn
Maize
Chicken

Nice selection of groceries to cross off your shopping lists eh :rolleyes:

harry
13-09-07, 11:20 AM
You okes are nuts! We are supposed to be the Rainbow Nation. So what is the problem with a few alien species swimming around in our rivers hell-bent on completely annihilating our endemic species? (humming dementedly: It's the end of the world as we know it...)

smallstreams.co.za
13-09-07, 11:48 AM
You okes are nuts! We are supposed to be the Rainbow Nation. So what is the problem with a few alien species swimming around in our rivers hell-bent on completely annihilating our endemic species? (humming dementedly: It's the end of the world as we know it...)

I was being a little sarcastic (read any of my previous posts regarding trout), but yeah, we as the Rainbow Nation need to save our Rainbow Trout, and with BEE the Brown Trout should also be kept :D :D

Matuka
13-09-07, 12:26 PM
and don't forget to exterminate:

Nigerians
Fat spoilt children
Taxi drivers
Milk cartons
Telephone answering machines
Chewing gum
Maltese poodles
Civil servants
Osama Bin Laden

Jasper
13-09-07, 12:38 PM
More aliens worthy of total annihilation:

ALL politicians!!
BMWs with tinted windows
hazard lights on cars
taxis
taxis
taxis
taxis
taxis
toy-toying
dancing at "cricket" matches (same as Toy-toying)
shopping malls
Xmas music in shopping malls
hooters (on cars not on chicks)
chick fuel drinks
anything incorporatin the word "designer"
people who use cell phones in public places

smallstreams.co.za
14-09-07, 08:41 AM
More aliens worthy of total annihilation:
taxis
taxis
taxis
taxis
taxis
toy-toying

Indigenous boet!!!!

Jasper
14-09-07, 08:43 AM
Indigenous boet!!!!

TRUE!! .... maybe we should form a Protection Group ..... CAR for Taxis maybe??? :D

smallstreams.co.za
14-09-07, 08:49 AM
TRUE!! .... maybe we should form a Protection Group ..... CAR for Taxis maybe??? :D

If you can catch them that is ...

chris williams
14-09-07, 08:58 AM

Use a Boga grip not a gaff on the driver - it's humane.

Jasper
14-09-07, 09:01 AM

easy!! ... just park near a taxi rank ... leave a wallet hiding a 10/0 hook on a 10' steel trace bolted to the chassis on the passenger seat.

chris williams
14-09-07, 04:43 PM
Or use Chris Shelton's 12-bore. The pellets go marginally faster than the taxis