PDA

View Full Version : Full Moon Fishing

bloubul
02-10-07, 11:43 AM
We will be going to treeferns at the end of October. As it happens, the time we will be there it will also be full moon. I have heard many stories about fishing when its full moon. Some say its good and others again say its bad. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? Should we fish at night?, use small or big Flies ect. Any information would be appreciated

FishWhisperer
02-10-07, 12:46 PM
Not too sure what the effects of the full moon during the day will be, but fishing at night is always fun and the full moon should help a bit. Use bigger black flies that will give a better silhouette, flippers and these... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=1355&highlight=glow+in+the+dark+beads

Strikeforce
15-10-07, 09:44 AM
Yes, lets debate this subject and let us hear from other members' experiences. Myself and Bloubul fished another venue over September's full moon period and caught bugger'all. That got us seriously thinking about the effect of the moon on fish feeding habits. The fish were in the dying stages of the spawning season and should have taken to our flies. Dean Riphagen says that he never goes fishing over full moon, however scientific proof does not seem to exist?

Hughmeister
15-10-07, 10:44 AM
I have always thought it best to fish at night during the full moon. The way I see it is that night-time visiblity increases at this stage and the fish generally take advantage of this. All of the various food sources, whatever they may be, venture out at night because it is safer than during the day. Next minute, chomp chomp....:D

Strikeforce
16-10-07, 08:14 AM
Okay, then what is the right time to venture out on your nocturnal fishing adventure during full moon? If the fishing's no good and you stay up late you run the risk of being buggered the next day.....

Jasper
16-10-07, 08:50 AM
Okay, then what is the right time to venture out on your nocturnal fishing adventure during full moon? If the fishing's no good and you stay up late you run the risk of being buggered the next day.....

a small price to pay for the joy of just FISHING.

chris williams
16-10-07, 08:58 AM
Irrespective of the quality of the fishing, would you feel safe with Jasper in the middle of the night/nowhere with a blazing full moon?:D :eek:

Jasper
16-10-07, 09:33 AM
at MY age I take what I can get!!! :D

Byron
16-10-07, 09:50 AM
We will be going to treeferns at the end of October. As it happens, the time we will be there it will also be full moon. I have heard many stories about fishing when its full moon. Some say its good and others again say its bad. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? Should we fish at night?, use small or big Flies ect. Any information would be appreciated

My best advice is to use big dark flies fished just bellow the surface. I've never really bothered about what the moon phase is with trout. I’ve found that the dark flies have always worked really well just after sunset for a couple of hours, any later than that and you should be around a fire having a few.

chris williams
16-10-07, 10:54 AM
at MY age I take what I can get!!! :D

Well at least we're less likely to scare people than if they see our faces in broad sunlight!

chris williams
16-10-07, 10:56 AM
My best advice is to use big dark flies fished just bellow the surface. I've never really bothered about what the moon phase is with trout. I’ve found that the dark flies have always worked really well just after sunset for a couple of hours, any later than that and you should be around a fire having a few.

These also work well for sea trout fishing at night - black flies often with a bit of red or silver tinsel. Sea trout also preferred new moons (i.e. v dark nights) with the best fishing shortly after sunset, and shortly before sunrise - both times when the sky is still very dark. I think we also posted this elsewhere on Flytalk?

Byron
16-10-07, 11:05 AM
I guess the contrast of a dark buggy looking fly against the full moon, must be appealing to a trout.

I know that if you are fishing at night at the coast the new moon is always better. Especially if you are going for kob – the darker the better plus you have the added benefit of a spring tide. Last time I checked the dams at Treeferns weren’t tidal…

chris williams
16-10-07, 11:19 AM
Yes the sea trout are a lot more skittish in the day especially if they've just moved up from the sea - they've still got sea water in their veins and they're in unfamiliar surrounds. At night they seem less afraid with the dark sky maybe as they see this as protection from the big sea predators which they would've had in the briney?
Perhaps some big slower estuarine predators may prefer the dark as with a good sense of smell and the lateral line vibes they can startle baitfish that may be too quick for them in the day
I've found 'generally' (not a rule!) rainbows prefer daylight but browns will feed at after dark and before dawn often as they're more territorial
I'm sure there are lots of other reasons of other reasons come into this such as cooling of air and water temperatures.
A shame fish can't talk - as yet - I think we (or at least humans) kicked off in the swamps and legged it onto land like mudskippers? We may see some reenactments of this behaviour this coming weekend with the various ffishing meet-ups and rugby?

Byron
16-10-07, 12:58 PM
Chris - will you be doing your best mudskipper impersonation? I've only seen it once but it won't hurt to see it again - just remember mudskippers get out the water head first not tail first :D

chris williams
16-10-07, 01:15 PM
Thanks I actually did two last Saturday, glad you only saw the one! Am sure it will be arranged, not a case of if!

Byron
16-10-07, 01:28 PM
oh, I thought the second one was "baby seal hunting in the shallows" - sometimes I can't tell.

Herman Jooste
16-10-07, 02:49 PM
Well at least we're less likely to scare people than if they see our faces in broad sunlight!

Be scared people, VERY SCARED:eek: :D :p

Chris Shelton
16-10-07, 05:40 PM
Irrespective of the quality of the fishing, would you feel safe with Jasper in the middle of the night/nowhere with a blazing full moon?:D :eek:

He prowls the empty beach at night, his clothing shed with delight, he loves to spoon with his full moon, so watch out, he's got a big spike! :D :D :D

chris williams
16-10-07, 05:47 PM
I thought he was a dyke?

Chris Shelton
16-10-07, 05:51 PM
I thought he was a dyke?

He aint no dyke......I've seen his 'mike'! :eek: :eek:

chris williams
16-10-07, 06:57 PM
I hope you didn't hold it like that Michael Jackson tyke?

Chris Shelton
16-10-07, 07:11 PM
I hope you didn't hold it like that Michael Jackson tyke?

you gotto be crazy! I took flight!

rols
16-10-07, 09:21 PM
http://www.solunar.com/Bucher.htm
might help. there was a thread a good while ago about moon phases etc. i typed in moon phases in the search part and came upon it. don't know how to do the link part but see what you find
cheers