PDA

View Full Version : ESA expo on the weekend

rory
23-10-07, 02:47 PM
Anybody else going to go to the ESA expo? They claim they going to have some fly fishing exhibitors.

pieterkriel
23-10-07, 02:55 PM
Would rather go fishing:) :p

Byron
23-10-07, 03:53 PM
off their site: "More importantly, come and meet the entire ESA team. Get their autographs and hear what they have to say."

no thanks i'd rather stick a drop-shot jig head in my eye :p

Do they say anything other than YES PLEASE! ON DAD! and SCHWEET?

pieterkriel
23-10-07, 04:31 PM
off their site: "More importantly, come and meet the entire ESA team. Get their autographs and hear what they have to say."

at least the chick says more than that, but then again it sounds like she is reading it from somewhere, assuming reading and writing is one of their talents:p

Byron
23-10-07, 04:36 PM
at least the chick says more than that, but then again it sounds like she is reading it from somewhere, assuming reading and writing is one of their talents:p

If she is reading her lines, then her reading ability is clearly not why she got the job :D

chris williams
23-10-07, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=Byron;43537]off their site: [BB]

May I witness this event and check it's a proper barbed hook?

They're expecting over 20,000 people and it's also 4x4's and resorts etc - I'd rather have a quiet time with you gentle Gautie ffishing folk with another one or two of Rory's kegs...

nicholas
23-10-07, 05:01 PM
I am going out on i limb and guessing that this event is as popular as a bacon sandwich at a jewish wedding........;)

Surly Ghillie
23-10-07, 06:16 PM
some of my best friends are jewish & we all dig bacon sandwiches!!!!. I cannot tell a lie. I am going. More, I am exhibiting. We have taken a stand to promote Giants Cup Wildernesss. Lake Navarone will also be there. We are sharing a stand. Also, I am using the opportunity to launch B*TCH-CREEK NYMIHING & THE MILLENNIUM BUG. Will be offering awesome show specials.

If the weather perchance should turn Krap and blow ya'll off the water, come past & visit our stand. I'll dibs any member of this forum to a bunch of free WOLF'S WONDERFUL WEIGHTED WOOLY WORMS if you come past...

gkieser
23-10-07, 07:18 PM
I don't know why you flyfishers hate us dropshotters. :mad:

All we ever get is flack!

Umhlangarox
23-10-07, 07:26 PM
bud you gotta catch something on Dropshot before you can call yourself one:D

Pierre
23-10-07, 08:00 PM
More, I am exhibiting. We have taken a stand to promote Giants Cup Wildernesss.

Eish, drop shotting at Giants Cup :eek:

Michael
23-10-07, 08:53 PM

They're from Durbs, Bru...what do you expect, like? :p

Michael
23-10-07, 08:55 PM
some of my best friends are jewish & we all dig bacon sandwiches!!!!. I cannot tell a lie. I am going. More, I am exhibiting. We have taken a stand to promote Giants Cup Wildernesss. Lake Navarone will also be there. We are sharing a stand. Also, I am using the opportunity to launch B*TCH-CREEK NYMIHING & THE MILLENNIUM BUG. Will be offering awesome show specials.

If the weather perchance should turn Krap and blow ya'll off the water, come past & visit our stand. I'll dibs any member of this forum to a bunch of free WOLF'S WONDERFUL WEIGHTED WOOLY WORMS if you come past...

You're on Wolf! I will be there...I was actually planning on visiting Andrew from Intrepid Fly there, to discuss some business. But will take a walk around of course, see if there's any other worthwhile fly fishing stands. I was going to exhibit...until I saw the stand prices per square meter...*gulp* :eek:

Pierre
23-10-07, 08:57 PM
ON DAD!

Whats this ON DAD thing ??? :confused:

Michael
23-10-07, 09:02 PM
When they hook a fish...they say "On Dad!"

Some guys say "Yes!"...."Inside!"..."That's him, Jim!"....
They say..."on Dad!"

gkieser
23-10-07, 09:04 PM

Nevermind. It's a dropshot thing.

Matt - I AM a dropshotter. I have 1 blaasoppie and 1 hottentot to my name thank you very much! hehehe.

Pierre
23-10-07, 09:08 PM
When they hook a fish...they say "On Dad!"

Some guys say "Yes!"...."Inside!"..."That's him, Jim!"....
They say..."on Dad!"

It doesnt make sence...i dont get it, why say on DAD ?

Grant what do you mean its a drop shot thing ?

Michael
23-10-07, 09:11 PM
It doesnt make sence...i dont get it, why say on DAD ?

I think it's just a Durban thing. Like..."One time"...or similar.

Pierre
23-10-07, 09:16 PM
No One time is still fine, makes perfect sense. But , do they mean DAD as in father or does it get pronounced differently ?

Michael
23-10-07, 09:19 PM
No, they pronounce it like you normally say "Dad"...it's just an expression they invented.

Pierre
23-10-07, 09:23 PM
No, they pronounce it like you normally say "Dad"...it's just an expression they invented.

I give up

Ok so lets invent our own one. Lets see some creativity here..:D

Pierre
23-10-07, 09:24 PM
Nevermind. It's a dropshot thing.

Grant do you also say it ? :D

Michael
23-10-07, 09:25 PM
I give up

Ok so lets invent our own one. Lets see some creativity here..:D

Good idea! The flytalk "strike" or "fish on" slogan!
i.e. Something like "Inside Sister!" (No...that just sounds wrong) :p

Pierre
23-10-07, 09:27 PM
"Inside Sister!"

WHAHAHA classic, you cracked me up with that one !!!!! Good one

smallstreams.co.za
23-10-07, 09:31 PM
I've always been biased to "Kap hom Pappie"!!! Brakpan/Boksburg accent probably needs to be applied!!

Deneys
23-10-07, 09:48 PM

Pierre
23-10-07, 09:50 PM
I think your post got lost , its empty....:D

gkieser
23-10-07, 10:02 PM
Grant do you also say it ? :D

hehe - not yet - you have to catch a real fish before you can say it.

It's also the name of their boat...

Pierre
24-10-07, 08:11 AM
It's also the name of their boat...

Ohhh no, :eek:

Byron
24-10-07, 08:30 AM

Pierre, even the ski boat they fish off is called the On Dad. I don't even try and understand it.

I have caught myself shouting "Yes Please" when i'm into a fish. My mates and I started doing it as a laugh (just taking the p1ss when we where in Notties) but it stuck...

chris williams
24-10-07, 08:59 AM
Byron, I've noticed that is one of your catch phrases when you hook fish, but I think with all respect you borrowed it from me as I shout that whenever Rory is offering draft beer..

I shout out 'More tea, Vicar?' whenever I'm lucky enough to hook a fish - something from my hazy Pommie days - don't ask me it's origin! I think it's a retort to when a Lager Lout is swearing his head off.

Byron
24-10-07, 09:21 AM
aaah of course - YES PLEASE - is just so universal. It applies to so many more things that men could be offered: Fish on the hook, Beer, Women ...

jock0
24-10-07, 09:27 AM
"On Dad" comes from a fishing trip they had where they took their sons with them. One of the young'ns hooked something decent and started shouting for his dad. Apparently...

I am a big fan of "Sak Sarel", "Over" (from Phil Kearns) or "Yes please) depending on which of my mates I'm fishing with :)

nicholas
24-10-07, 09:30 AM
Byron, I've noticed that is one of your catch phrases when you hook fish, but I think with all respect you borrowed it from me as I shout that whenever Rory is offering draft beer..

I shout out 'More tea, Vicar?' whenever I'm lucky enough to hook a fish - something from my hazy Pommie days - don't ask me it's origin! I think it's a retort to when a Lager Lout is swearing his head off.

"more tea vicar" was used in the old parlour days when the host would want to steer the conversasion away from topics that where inapropriate if the vicar was present or when conversasion dryed up.

Today if you are in a room full of blokes and someone f@rts the call in a very upper class royal accent is "mooore tea vicar":D :D

Byron
24-10-07, 09:31 AM
depending on who you are fishing near - DURKA DURKA JIHAD - is also a favourite and bound get some hairy eyeballs

Byron
24-10-07, 09:32 AM
"more tea vicar" was used in the old parlour days when the host would want to steer the conversasion away from topics that where inapropriate if the vicar was present or when conversasion dryed up.

Today if you are in a room full of blokes and someone f@rts the call in a very upper class royal accent is "mooore tea vicar":D :D

When I fart in a room full of blokes i shout YES PLEASE!

Nymph+O-
24-10-07, 10:08 AM
When I fart in a room full of blokes i shout YES PLEASE!

That would be a foolish thing to do in a queer night club...:o :p

Byron
24-10-07, 10:16 AM
That would be a foolish thing to do in a queer night club...:o :p

I wouldn't know, wouldn't even know where to find one.

chris williams
24-10-07, 10:20 AM
I'm starting to get worried about you lot - 'old parlour days' and 'queer night clubs'?? I think for Vaal % the two chalets should be divided between those of different gender preferences?:p

Byron
24-10-07, 10:25 AM
That's why I'm taking a tent - with a door that can lock. I realised there was a reason why on the last trip Ferdie "left his tent at home... "

Nymph+O-
24-10-07, 11:00 AM
...and you guys were so insensitive not to offer me a bunk.... at least Tye let me share his double bedroom:rolleyes:

Byron
24-10-07, 11:10 AM
...and you guys were so insensitive not to offer me a bunk.... at least Tye let me share his double bedroom:rolleyes:

you didn't look desperate enough :D

You also didn't look as though you were keen to trade a nice warm double bed with Tye in it for a muddy wet groundsheet?

swsmith
24-10-07, 11:57 AM
On Dad!!!!!!!!!

Nymph+O-
24-10-07, 12:23 PM
On Dad!!!!!!!!!
Eina!!!!!!!

BuzzLiteBeer
24-10-07, 01:15 PM
depending on who you are fishing near - DURKA DURKA JIHAD - is also a favourite and bound get some hairy eyeballs

Just don't fish with Sean Penn:D

Michael
25-10-07, 11:36 PM
I've always been partial to "That's him, Jim!" (pronounced "Thats'im, Jeem!")
When hooking a fish, or when a buddy blasts a 250m plus drive off the tee box.

chris williams
26-10-07, 03:36 AM
'Top shop' is another odd but catching expression!