PDA

View Full Version : Jan 2008 - Salt Fly Swap

Wiets
10-11-07, 04:47 AM
Saltwater Fly Swap - January 2008

Let's have an early start for Saltwater Fly Swap - January 2008.
This time there is a reward for the best fly! :D

Here are the rules;

1. You can tie any saltwater pattern.
2. You are required to tie one fly for each participating member including yourself.
3. The flies must be mailed before 31 January 2008.
4. List your name here before 30 November 2007 if you intend participating - please be serious and committed about it.
5. Mail your flies to:

Wiets Wilken
P.O. Box 90
Isando 1600

6. Package your flies properly so that it's not damaged in the mail.
7. It is strongly recommended to get a mail tracking number and post it here once mailed.
8. Remember to include you forum name, proper name and return address.
9. Do not worry about self addressed envelopes or stamps - I will take care of that.

Reward! :D
Once all the flies have been received, individual photo's of the flies will be posted here and the forum members will be able to vote for the best fly. The member with the most votes will receive a similar beautiful brand new badger saddle as per image below. Hopefully other members will also sponsor additional rewards which will also be for the winning member. In the event of a tie, Phillip or MCC will be asked to make the casting vote to break the tie.

http://www.weizter.org/Images/FlySwapJan2008.jpg

Wiets
10-11-07, 04:55 AM
Participants
Wiets
Rols???
Rory???
Rols???
FishWhisperer???
Honda2???
Richy Fish-Fingers???
Pezvela???

Deneys
10-11-07, 06:26 AM
If I could only tie a good fly I then would put my name down so Im not even gana try.

Is there any ways I can swop my Ringneck for this skin or am I pushing it :D

All of the best to the rest that are gana enter

PezVela
10-11-07, 08:39 AM
Okay !! Thats betta! I am in.....send the cape so long!!

;)

Wiets
10-11-07, 08:30 PM
If I could only tie a good fly I then would put my name down so Im not even gana try. Is there any ways I can swop my Ringneck for this skin or am I pushing it :D All of the best to the rest that are gana enter

Hi Deneys

It's not about tying good flies. It's about tying what you can,
sharing yours and receiving flies tied by others.

I am a beginner myself and have only tied about 20 flies of
which about 95% was for fly swaps here on this forum.

You are more than welcome to join!

Wiets
10-11-07, 08:31 PM
Participants
Wiets
Pezvela

FishWhisperer
11-11-07, 12:37 AM
Im keen, REALY nice Cape that!

Wiets
11-11-07, 09:40 AM
Participants
Wiets
Pezvela
FishWhisperer

rols
11-11-07, 10:33 AM
ok, ink me in.
Cheers

Wiets
11-11-07, 10:37 AM
Participants
Wiets
Pezvela
FishWhisperer
Rols

rory
12-11-07, 09:56 AM
I'm in!! :D

honda2
12-11-07, 02:48 PM
Im in!! :D - Looks like fun.

Wiets
12-11-07, 04:27 PM
Participants
Wiets
Pezvela
FishWhisperer
Rols
rory
honda2

dpammenter
13-11-07, 06:55 AM
right! i'm in!
i'll make sure i get them all tied up in time

nice gesture Wiets, thanks again

Wiets
13-11-07, 08:52 AM
Participants
Wiets
Pezvela
FishWhisperer
Rols
rory
honda2
dpammenter

Wiets
15-11-07, 11:48 AM
BUMP

Any body else???

Participants
Wiets
Pezvela
FishWhisperer
Rols
rory
honda2
dpammenter

dpammenter
15-11-07, 11:55 AM
nice BUMP ;)
well done

(see, i disguised mine too ;) )

garwat
16-11-07, 01:44 PM
yeah man! im very new to the scene, but am very keen to give it a bash. sign me up.
gareth

Wiets
16-11-07, 01:56 PM
8 Participants

Wiets
Pezvela
FishWhisperer
Rols
rory
honda2
dpammenter
garwat

draadkar
16-11-07, 03:53 PM
Ek's in! My last flies i tied in 24hrs, hopefully i give myself some more time this time around. What's the winning prize again , lifetime membership at teasers.?:D
Cheers

Wiets
16-11-07, 04:13 PM
9 Participants

Wiets
Pezvela
FishWhisperer
Rols
rory
honda2
dpammenter
garwat
draadkar

Wiets
20-11-07, 10:05 PM
BUMP - Any more participants?

9 Participants

Wiets
Pezvela
FishWhisperer
Rols
rory
honda2
dpammenter
garwat
draadkar

rory
26-11-07, 10:34 AM
OK if there aren't anymore I'd like to get cracking. :D

Wiets
26-11-07, 11:04 AM
OK if there aren't anymore I'd like to get cracking. :D I'll be tying up some whistlers.

Hi Rory

The deadline is at 30 November 2007.
Just a couple more days! :D

rory
26-11-07, 12:25 PM
Hi Rory

The deadline is at 30 November 2007.
Just a couple more days! :D

OK, cool stuff I can get started in the meantime!

Wiets
29-11-07, 01:27 AM
Last Call

Please join the Jan 2008 - Salt Fly Swap!

Wiets
30-11-07, 04:17 PM
Here is the final list of 9 participants

Wiets
Pezvela
FishWhisperer
Rols
rory
honda2
dpammenter
garwat
draadkar

OK, listen up!
1. Each participant must tie 9 flies.
2. Please ensure that the flies are mailed by no later than 31 January 2008 to;

Saltwater Fly Swap Jan 2008
Attention: Wiets Wilken
P.O. Box 90
Isando 1600
South Africa

3. You can also deliver the flies to Centurion Pretoria, Northriding Johannesburg and Isando Johannesburg - PM me for the address.
4. Once mailed or delivered, please post that you have mailed/delivered here on this forum (tracking numbers will greatly assist).
5. Remember to include your forum name, your real name and return address.
6. No need for self addressed envelopes or stamps.
7. This time around, I will take pictures of the flies and post it on this forum.
8. I hope to mail the flies back to everybody sometime early in February 2008.
9. I will also post mail tracking numbers here on this forum.

Before posting the flies back to you, I will create a thread where the forum members can vote for the best fly.
The fly tier with the most votes, will win the fly tying prize as shown in the firts message of this thread.
In the event of a tie, Phillip or MCC will be asked to make the casting vote to break the tie.

Happy tying! :D

Wiets
02-12-07, 05:27 PM
Flies received

9 - dpammenter (1 December 2007)

FishWhisperer
04-12-07, 04:15 PM
Sent my flies off this morning. Should be with you soon. (Please excuse the packaging :o )

Wiets
05-12-07, 03:53 PM
Flies received

9 - Honda2 (5 December 2007)

garwat
06-12-07, 02:44 PM
hola! sent my flies off today. ordinary parcel, tracking number is PE542659530ZA. hope they get there safe and sound. nice 1! G!

rory
14-12-07, 08:54 AM
I should be finished tying on the weekend and I'll drop them off at Wiets' shop on monday. First time I've tied these flies. I downloaded the tying instructions from Dan Blantons website, you can see he's spent a lot of time developing this fly, he's very specific and methodical on every step. Simplified the tying big time.

rols
14-12-07, 08:58 AM
eish, can't wait to get one of these rory. nice one

Spilogaster
14-12-07, 09:08 AM
Nice looking fly !

dizzy
14-12-07, 09:31 AM
Rory, I dont think Wiets' shop will be open on Monday, its a public holiday. :)

Nice fly though! :)

rory
14-12-07, 09:41 AM
Rory, I dont think Wiets' shop will be open on Monday, its a public holiday. :)

Nice fly though! :)

Thanks Dizz, I dunno where my mind is at:o Must be a lack of alcohol or something:rolleyes:

chris williams
14-12-07, 09:49 AM
Doubt it...!

Nice fly!, I've got an original of Dan's old book when he first described the Whistler - great fly and it works a treat on barbel in murky conditions adding a bit of 'push'. I saw a BIG one this morning at school dam, toruble with the rain vis is only about a foot. Maybe a black Whistler with extra head hackles may do the trick early evening..

rory
14-12-07, 09:59 AM
I just hope it catches fish! Another fly which caught my attention on his site is a epoxy type minnow, similar to a surf candy, which swims with the hook pointing up. I'll keep it in reserve for Flyswap 5 ;)

chris williams
14-12-07, 10:50 AM
Yes I've also got that one in the book as well as a few others of his inventions - seems a good lad!

rory
14-12-07, 11:45 AM
Its called the SST?

chris williams
14-12-07, 02:58 PM
Yes, Sellers Striper Teaser (it was this guy not Blanton who actually invented it) - like an inverted Surf candy

Blanton's other famous one is a semi-deceiver type called the Sar-Mul-Mac because it gnerally imimated these three types of abbreviated fish names

I know you won't be reading this at you're in the Valley Tavern with Werner so shame on you!!!:o

Wiets
25-12-07, 11:56 PM
Flies received

9 - Honda2 (5 December 2007)
9 - garwat
9 - FishWhisperer

rory
04-01-08, 10:13 AM
Sorry guys I left mine a bit late. :o I got to Wiets' shop on monday but they closed till this coming monday. So I'll drop them off after work on monday.

Wiets
04-01-08, 01:49 PM
Sorry guys I left mine a bit late. :o I got to Wiets' shop on monday but they closed till this coming monday. So I'll drop them off after work on monday.

Hi Rory

No worries! The deadline is anyway only 31 January 2008. :D

rory
04-01-08, 06:34 PM
Hi Rory

No worries! The deadline is anyway only 31 January 2008. :D

The 31st! Strafdop! :D I thought the deadline was the 1st:o

rols
04-01-08, 07:30 PM
The 31st! Strafdop! :D I thought the deadline was the 1st:o

Rory, you have to have one for me because you just made me poop myself, as mine are also not finished...jou bliksem :D

rory
20-01-08, 09:25 PM
Right things have been crazy at the salt mines I call work the last two weeks, so I'll drop my flies off at northriding this week. I'll try to make sure the flies haven't been to badly flattened:o

Rols, strafdop taken. Or was it five? Eish ek weet hom nie daai ding!

Wiets
21-01-08, 09:09 AM
Flies received

9 - dpammenter
9 - Honda2
9 - garwat
9 - FishWhisperer
9 - Wiets

Wiets
21-01-08, 09:12 AM
Early Warning!
Guys, there are only 10 days left to get the flies to me.

Awaiting flies from the following members;

Pezvela
Rols
rory
draadkar

rory
24-01-08, 06:25 PM

Pezvela
Rols
rory
draadkar

Wiets, I dropped my flies off at northriding this afternoon.

Wiets
26-01-08, 07:53 PM
5 DAY WARNING!
Guys, there are only 5 days left to get the flies to me.
Time is running out!

Pezvela
Rols
rory - waiting for feedback from Centurion.
draadkar

rols
27-01-08, 08:55 AM
Sent mine Friday

rory
27-01-08, 09:36 AM
rory - waiting for feedback from Centurion.

I dropped them off at northriding Wiets!:D

chris williams
27-01-08, 10:32 AM
Where did you drop off Tye?

I've Werner's rod/reel/stuff in the back of my car, will arrange to drop off with you Werner

draadkar
28-01-08, 03:02 PM
posted mine today, priority post.
Apparently it will be there 2 morrow after 11am.
must i pm you the tracking numer wiets? not to sure how all of this works as i am Not a frequent user of our postal services!:confused:

cheers

Wiets
29-01-08, 03:26 PM
Flies received

9 - dpammenter
9 - Honda2
9 - garwat
9 - FishWhisperer
9 - Wiets
9 - Rory
9 - Draadkar

Pezvela
Rols

Rory - thank you for the extra flies! :D

PezVela
29-01-08, 10:54 PM
heya Wiets

I needed that bucktail to complete my flies.........:confused:

:D :D just kidding , my flies should be there by 31 Jan

Later Vela

Wiets
30-01-08, 01:46 AM
heya Wiets I needed that bucktail to complete my flies.........:confused: :D :D just kidding , my flies should be there by 31 Jan
Later Vela

You had me worried there for a second! :D
Great stuff - I will be on the look out for them.

draadkar
30-01-08, 02:14 AM
heya Wiets

I needed that bucktail to complete my flies.........:confused:

:D :D just kidding , my flies should be there by 31 Jan

Later Vela

we should go for a beer more often, i see it speeds up the flytying!:D
draadkar

PezVela
30-01-08, 04:31 PM
beer and pending divorce = speedy flytying :D :D :D

Wiets my track nr is w614503052095

PezVela
30-01-08, 04:33 PM
Ta 653 351 478 Za

PezVela
30-01-08, 04:33 PM
Sorry:d :d

Wiets
31-01-08, 07:04 PM
Flies received

9 - dpammenter
9 - Honda2
9 - garwat
9 - FishWhisperer
9 - Wiets
9 - Rory
9 - Draadkar
9 - Pezvela

Rols - What's up boet?
I still haven't received your flies.
Do you have a tracking number?

Rory - thank you for the extra flies! :D

PezVela
31-01-08, 08:59 PM
YEAH ROLS WHATS YOUR TRACKING NUMBER....:mad: :D :D

rols
31-01-08, 09:04 PM
YEAH ROLS WHATS YOUR TRACKING NUMBER....:mad: :D :D
stop shouting....you making me nervous.....just got in and trying to find out:o

rols
31-01-08, 09:17 PM
I posted the items on Friday last and Alan in Durban has recieved his goods so far. Paul is away, I know. My wife did the posting and she is fishin in kimberly for the next week and a half. these are the numbers she gave me.
PE563111559ZA
PE563111576ZA
I will go to the PO tomoro and try find answers. Sorry for any inconvenience guys, but they definately left last Friday from my place

PezVela
31-01-08, 09:40 PM
come on Rols we want our flys Rols...why are you always the last one Rols! Geez Rolz get with it Rols!!:D :D :D

Its my best Mr.Woodcock impersonation!

rols
31-01-08, 09:57 PM
sorry sorry sorry.....:o at this point in time.... one finger is my left ear and the other is in my right ear and my tongue is showing the post office and maybe some of you, some weird signs as my daughter is typing this for me...as my hands are busy.:D
My flies, (sorry, my dads) were posted before some of you chaps. can't answer about the holdup....sooooo.....i'm gonna have another beer:eek:

Herman Jooste
31-01-08, 10:05 PM
My kinda man. Please look at Vaal/Orange thread.

Wiets
31-01-08, 11:04 PM
Hi Rols

I know you won't talk sh!t about this.
The 2 tracking numbers you have posted are for some other parcels - see images below.
It must therefor be another tracking number - see what you can find out.

http://www.weizter.org/Images/Rols1.jpg

http://www.weizter.org/Images/Rols1.jpg

rols
31-01-08, 11:28 PM
thanks Wiets
will go first thing in the am. the name of the flies was also written on the envelope :confused:

draadkar
01-02-08, 02:10 PM
Strafdop!!!!!!:d

rols
01-02-08, 03:13 PM
Strafdop!!!!!!:d

a litre at least, looks like they've taken a walk :mad:

chris williams
01-02-08, 03:28 PM
Know how you feels, my CdL for Chris S also took a walk, but at least that's only filthy lucre down the drain not lovingly-tied flies.. - hope they do turn up..:)

rols
01-02-08, 03:38 PM
Know how you feels, my CdL for Chris S also took a walk, but at least that's only filthy lucre down the drain not lovingly-tied flies.. - hope they do turn up..:)

yea and i really felt good about these flies, especially for our waters. my wife took 2 driers and the flies were in a padded envelope, and handed it over the counter. she never really clicked when they gave her only 2 tracking numbers, but it looks like they sent the envelope normal post. it's also difficult trying to converse with my wife as they are fishing and don't have too good coms where they are. i pm'd wiets what i'll do, but i'm really peed off. in fact after the day i've had i'm going right now for a beer. :D

chris williams
01-02-08, 04:09 PM
And I'll do the same up here in a show of Gautie sympathy!

Wiets
01-02-08, 05:47 PM
If it is OK with the other guys, I suggest we wait awhile longer before I distribute the flies. If not received
by end of next week, we can assume that Rols's flies are lost. I will then distribute the flies I have received.

Is this OK with everybody?

rols
01-02-08, 07:28 PM
If it is OK with the other guys, I suggest we wait awhile longer before I distribute the flies. If not received
by end of next week, we can assume that Rols's flies are lost. I will then distribute the flies I have received.

sorry guys. bums me off big time. thanks Wiets, as per my pm, if the parcel does not arrive i will go ahead. what pees me off is that when joe bloggs opens the parcel, sees it's nothing of value to him....instead of tossing it, just selotape it up and put it back in the queue?...then again it's like hoping the hijacker asks you to open the window rather than breaking it...:eek:

rory
01-02-08, 09:34 PM

OK by me! ;)

rory
01-02-08, 09:40 PM
sorry guys. bums me off big time. thanks Wiets, as per my pm, if the parcel does not arrive i will go ahead. what pees me off is that when joe bloggs opens the parcel, sees it's nothing of value to him....instead of tossing it, just selotape it up and put it back in the queue?...then again it's like hoping the hijacker asks you to open the window rather than breaking it...:eek:

Rols, I have just personally had a most delightful little strafdop on your behalf :D Please don't antagonise, we all know that when a parcel is handed over to the PO, things get ****up. Personally I'm sorry that I won't receive your flies cos they always good. Next time;)

draadkar
03-02-08, 09:33 PM
cool with me too. I suppose i was lucky when i sent mine as i havent used the PO in probably 5years or so. Funny how nervous i was to let "my presious" go. Slowly gave it to the clerk turned around and never looked back, a real emosional moment. I survived.:D

rols
06-02-08, 09:20 AM
Wiets, I think you must carry on with the voting. If the flies hav'nt arrived by now, I'm sure they are forever lost. My apologies.
Cheers

Wiets
06-02-08, 09:36 PM
I received word from my company that the Post Office apparently found a brown package with some fishing hooks with some green and white shiny hair tied onto it. The package have apparently been opened by somebody and was found lying underneath some rubbish. This package was found in Cape Mail, Cape Town and are now being transported to Isando Post Office. I believe that we will have the package by Monday - "guaranteed!". Yeah, right!

Let's hope that this is Rols' missing flies!

rols
06-02-08, 09:52 PM
geez i hope so. mine had a lot of flash and did have cactus chenile bodies in chartreuse, white, black and "root beer" . i got the fly from some website, i found by someone who posted something else. i will send the link.
thanks again for your trouble

Wiets
08-02-08, 02:20 PM
How did you manage that???? Sh!t I really feel much better now, I was thinking everyone thought I never tied mine and was pulling a move.....yay:D

Contacts! As mentioned, we started making enquiries about your flies at our local Post Office. Somebody we have been dealing with for years went the extra mile and they found your envelope in Cape Mail opened with some flies inside. Initially we did not know it was from you but further enquiries showed it is your package. The package will be here on Monday - 11 Feb. 2008 (at least, this is what they promised). So, all is cool! :D

Once I have your flies, I will take pictures and create a poll to determine the winning fly.

PezVela
08-02-08, 02:42 PM
Wiets !! FLys NEWS? Thanx:rolleyes:

rory
08-02-08, 03:32 PM
Great news!!:D
Rols I think I'll amble on over to the "Valley Tavern" shortly and force down a bitterly cold celebratory draught! Or six:rolleyes:

Wiets
11-02-08, 05:56 PM
I have no received word from my office that they have indeed collected Rols' flies from the Post Office - all 9 of them. It is safe, under lock and key at our company permises.

I am about to fly leave town for a few days and will only be able to take take pictures of his flies and then create the voting poll upon my return this coming Saturday evening. Once the winner have been decided upon, I will then mail you your flies and the winner will also received the cape prize as per opening thread.

Sorrry, but things did not work out time wise to do things sooner! :o

PezVela
11-02-08, 08:24 PM
Wiets , thanx for all the effort and grief you need to endure.....I also apologise for SA Postal and Rols :D :D

draadkar
11-02-08, 11:31 PM
I second that, i really apologise for Rols!!:D

Wiets
17-02-08, 12:55 PM
I have now created the voting poll and you can view the photographs of the flies submitted HERE (http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=2943).

Once the winner has been determined, I will distribute and mail the flies.

Thank you for another successful flyswap. :D

Wiets
24-02-08, 12:21 PM
The winner of this Fly Swap is Draadkar - see this thread (http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?p=64368#post64368).
Congratulations! :D
Your saddle will be mailed together with your flies.

I have also updated the images and you can now see who tied which fly.

The flies will now be sorted and mailed to you by no later than Monday/Tuesday.
Once mailed, I will post the tracking numbers here.

chris williams
24-02-08, 01:43 PM
Well done Draadkar and to all who entered - ant thanks to Wiets yet again!

rory
24-02-08, 07:33 PM
Nice one Draadkar!!;) Thanks Wiets, for your time and effort!

PezVela
25-02-08, 09:37 AM
Draadkar...now I know why you never voted for my fly!!!

:D :D :D

Well done boet...must be Dr.Phil's help??

rols
25-02-08, 10:04 AM
nice one draadkar. I actually thought that was rory's one. and to everyone who did'nt even give me a sympathy vote (shows browneye) :p

draadkar
25-02-08, 12:35 PM
Thank you wiets for organising. Thank you for all the votes guys appreciated.

I will skip the next one ( work crazy ) but i will join the one after.

Karlos, i don't think he had any help in this one (sy gat), old Dr phil has some serious work ahead of him, Fireworks all over the place. :D

Thanks again to everybody involved!

Wiets
26-02-08, 01:03 PM
Your flies have been mailed.
Here are your tracking numbers;

Draadkar PE 542887109 ZA
Matt Rich PE 542887090 ZA
Rory PE 542887086 ZA
Pezvela PE 542887072 ZA
Careth PE 542887069 ZA
Cornelius PE 542887055 ZA
Roland PE 542887041 ZA
dpammenter: I will give it to you when we meet.

FishWhisperer
26-02-08, 02:02 PM
Your flies have been mailed.
Here are your tracking numbers;

Draadkar PE 542887109 ZA
Matt Rich PE 542887090 ZA
Rory PE 542887086 ZA
Pezvela PE 542887072 ZA
Careth PE 542887069 ZA
Cornelius PE 542887055 ZA
Roland PE 542887041 ZA
dpammenter: I will give it to you when we meet.
Thanks so much for doing this again Wiets, your a STAR!

rory
12-03-08, 01:33 PM
I received my flies today, thanks for the time and effort guys, these flies are all excellent! Super stuff, its like Christmas in march!:D