PDA

View Full Version : Plett Area Advice

Mark S
12-12-07, 12:56 PM
Hi All
Heading down to Keurbooms over Xmas. Any advice would be great. I had good success down there for leeries about 10 years ago, but am not sure of changes due to flooding and construction.

Are the fish still there leeries, grunter, kob, skippies, elf... Would really love to get a grunter on fly... So please send me info from flies, to location and tactics particularly for grunter.

Many thanks
Mark
ps What a great site.:eek:

Yellowfever
12-12-07, 04:47 PM
Mark,

Firstly my advice don't go there over Christmas. ;-P. Okay to alte but the place is crazy with boats and plenty unwanteds.....

* Get out very early before the traffic.
* I got 4 good Leeries on a Flipper, they took with confidence. Great fly!
* I'm not sure what the conditions are like after the floods but should be back to normal.

Mark S
13-12-07, 09:34 AM
Yip unfortunately beggers can be choosers, so have to be there over Xmas. So when and where did you catch them. I used to catch mine in the bitou on the left hand side of the highway if you driving towards plett. Were you closer to the mouth or inland.

Ever had any luch with grunter, their are spans there but I am not sure if you can catch them, also loads of 'weed' coming in and out with the tide.

So early morning and late evening??

Thanks for the response
Mark

Yellowfever
13-12-07, 10:02 AM
Mark,

No mine was caught at Sedgefield - Swartvlei mouth. Did not even drive to Plett. Fish the visible channels and drop-offs. Early morning esp as then most people are sleeping;-)

Grunter no - once small one on a chrt clouser.

Mark S
13-12-07, 11:17 AM
Ok cool will try my luck on the new look keurbooms and bitou.

Come on guys there must be some grunter ctaching fundies out there!! Those river are both full of this species, surely someone knows something about them????
:cool:

FishWhisperer
13-12-07, 11:24 AM

Come on guys there must be some grunter ctaching fundies out there!! Those river are both full of this species, surely someone knows something about them????
They are bloody tough to catch.. unless you're MC.:D On the blue bar at the top of the screen on the right of 'new posts' and the left of 'quick links' click on 'search', there is a ton a grunter info on this site!!! A TON!!

Andre
13-12-07, 12:58 PM

I fished yesterday from 14h00 to 17h00, and got 8 leeries in the channel under the Bitou bribge, on the opposite bank to Hemmingways restaurant,
On the incomming tide. the higher the tide got, the quieter it became, until full high, when there was no action at all. Yeah, lots of floating grass, a real pain in the g@t, but what can you do.

Mark S
14-12-07, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

ANDRE Great news to hear they are still around pretty much in the same area I used to get them. What flies were working? U still gonna be in the area later this month? Im arriving on the 26th so leave some for me :D

Other then that ill use the search option to get info for grunter.

Cheers

Rendier
14-12-07, 09:26 AM
Just cancelled my trip up to Knysna last week! Damn :(

Andre
14-12-07, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

ANDRE Great news to hear they are still around pretty much in the same area I used to get them. What flies were working? U still gonna be in the area later this month? Im arriving on the 26th so leave some for me :D

Other then that ill use the search option to get info for grunter.

Cheers
The normal stuff mark, poppers, flippers, pink and white wool heads, and finger mullets.
I got a grunter on a olive charlie, plus a couple of kob and a steenbras (a first for me) fishing the drop offs and sandbanks on the incomming tide.
Ja the fish are there, and hungry. The river has got progressively better over the past 10 days.

I will be leaving Plett on Xmas eve, and heading to Sedgefield for Xmas and new year with the geriatrics. We going to try Swartvlei and kabeljou gat, so if you heading down that way, give me a call

Mark S
18-12-07, 08:58 AM
Hey Andre
Thats sounds pretty good, was that in the Keurbooms? Near the mouth or further inland. will definatley make contact if we are in the area at the same time. Do you tie or buy your flies?
Cheers
M

Rendier
20-12-07, 07:16 PM
The normal stuff mark, poppers, flippers, pink and white wool heads, and finger mullets.
I got a grunter on a olive charlie, plus a couple of kob and a steenbras (a first for me) fishing the drop offs and sandbanks on the incomming tide.
Ja the fish are there, and hungry. The river has got progressively better over the past 10 days.

I will be leaving Plett on Xmas eve, and heading to Sedgefield for Xmas and new year with the geriatrics. We going to try Swartvlei and kabeljou gat, so if you heading down that way, give me a call

Spent 2 days in Onrus and decided Knysna would be much nicer :)

Arrived this afternoon. Leaving on the 23rd and coming back in the new year. Bring on the leeries!

Andre
20-12-07, 11:09 PM
Hey Andre
Thats sounds pretty good, was that in the Keurbooms? Near the mouth or further inland. will definatley make contact if we are in the area at the same time. Do you tie or buy your flies?
Cheers
M
Mark, we have found most of the leeries in the Bitou. The N2 bridge that crosses the Bitou river is the first bridge. The next bridge is the keurbooms river bridge. You park at hemingways restarant, and walk over the bridge and down the other side. there are several sandbanks and channels. That's where you will get them.
I generally don't do much saltwater flyfishing, so most of my flies are bought. I do however tie the clousers and decievers and charlies. but most of my poppers and prawn flies are bought.
Although I will be leaving Plett on Xmas eve and heading down to Sedgies, give me a call anyway, it will be no problem to come back to Plett for a day and fish with you.
I will PM my number to you

KevinE
02-01-08, 11:35 AM
Nice to meet both Andre and Neil - thanks for the tips guys. Unfortunately the weather limited my fishing time in Plett but I did manage a few fish.

Into one - damn that poper is a killer Neil:
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/upstream_2006/IMGP0456_edited.jpg

My first leerie on fly. Pity my big hands make the fish look so small.....
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/upstream_2006/IMGP0463_edited.jpg

KevinE
02-01-08, 11:37 AM
A better one:
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/upstream_2006/IMGP0508_edited.jpg

Look mom, no hands:
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/upstream_2006/IMGP0455_edited.jpg

rols
02-01-08, 11:53 PM
hey kev
just saw this post now. great fish. i still have not got a saltwater fish this season......the streams have me mesmerised :D
compliments and wishes for the year ahead.
cheers

Herman Jooste
21-03-10, 03:59 PM
We will be in Plett from next Saterday untill the 9th April.

ANY ADVICE on Where, When and What to fish will be gratefully appreciated.

I know nothing about estuary or beach fishing. PLEEEEZZZEE HELP!!!!!!.

deewy
21-03-10, 04:27 PM
We will be in Plett from next Saterday untill the 9th April.

ANY ADVICE on Where, When and What to fish will be gratefully appreciated.

I know nothing about estuary or beach fishing. PLEEEEZZZEE HELP!!!!!!.

Give me a ring oom Herman 0829415344 will give you some pointers, I am getting married next weekend so I cant join and then I am off to the wildcoast for honeymoon, so will have to guide you over the phone.:D

Herman Jooste
21-03-10, 04:52 PM
Give me a ring oom Herman 0829415344 will give you some pointers, I am getting married next weekend so I cant join and then I am off to the wildcoast for honeymoon, so will have to guide you over the phone.:D

Thanks Dewald, your no. in my phone. I'll try not disturb you on the wedding night :p:D

Hope all goes according to plan for the wedding, and best wishes to you and bride to be as well.

Andre
21-03-10, 07:54 PM
Thanks Dewald, your no. in my phone. I'll try not disturb you on the wedding night :p:D

Hope all goes according to plan for the wedding, and best wishes to you and bride to be as well.

Hey herman, I will also be there. From Thursday, throiugh easter, and leaving on the Tuesday. I will have my boat as well, so lets go do some line wetting. I will show you all my good spots. If you bring a bassing flyrod, we can go do Groenvlei as well if you like.

Herman Jooste
22-03-10, 12:58 PM
Hey herman, I will also be there. From Thursday, throiugh easter, and leaving on the Tuesday. I will have my boat as well, so lets go do some line wetting. I will show you all my good spots. If you bring a bassing flyrod, we can go do Groenvlei as well if you like.

Thanks Andre,

I've still got your cell no, so will def. give you a call once you are down.:D