PDA

View Full Version : I've had a pint at Saloon 2000

Byron
13-12-07, 09:43 AM
Since we aren't really doing any work this week, let's start a club.

I've had a pint Saloon 2000 (thanks to OMR and a very drunk aftertoon - believe it or not we actually caught fish on this expedition).

chris williams
13-12-07, 09:58 AM
As you've dropped me into it, I have to answer in the affirmative.:o
I foresee 'Steelhead' status being attached to the likes of us, Werner, Herman, Nympho, Rory and Lardbeast..:eek:

Shall we put in a Flytalk bid to buy the place out and replace anything smart like new beermats with old sticky versions to restore the place to it's former glory?? Maybe better than going into direct flyfishing business? Maybe we can get a sponsor, have a ho'house on the side and rename it Saloon Paris 2008?

PS - was at the dam moment ago, the level's risen about 10cm overnight what with all the rain runoff, and it's actually overflowing for the first time in yonks. Water's a tad muddy, but bass still rising and I feel a kurper or two being stalked at lunchtime..:cool:

rory
13-12-07, 10:03 AM
I must admit, I've stopped there once, but the place was locked up. Their locals obviously don't drink at 9 in the morning.:o :D So come on guys give us some details: Prices, atmosphere, inbred local patrons etc...:D

Byron
13-12-07, 10:13 AM
As you've dropped me into it, I have to answer in the affirmative.:o
I foresee 'Steelhead' status being attached to the likes of us, Werner, Herman, Nympho, Rory and Lardbeast..:eek:

Shall we put in a Flytalk bid to buy the place out and replace anything smart like new beermats with old sticky versions to restore the place to it's former glory?? Maybe better than going into direct flyfishing business? Maybe we can get a sponsor, have a ho'house on the side and rename it Saloon Paris 2008?

PS - was at the dam moment ago, the level's risen about 10cm overnight what with all the rain runoff, and it's actually overflowing for the first time in yonks. Water's a tad muddy, but bass still rising and I feel a kurper or two being stalked at lunchtime..:cool:

Might have to swing past the dam tomorrow after work to swing the new rig and maybe bash a bass or two.

Byron
13-12-07, 10:18 AM
I must admit, I've stopped there once, but the place was locked up. Their locals obviously don't drink at 9 in the morning.:o :D So come on guys give us some details: Prices, atmosphere, inbred local patrons etc...:D

Prices - like they were 10 years ago
Locals - nice mix of naive farm girls and junk yard murderers
Atmosphere - nothing that isn't determined by a number of factors, time of day, number of sheep in trailers outside, amount of spook and diesel consumed, rugby on telly, farm girls on bar counter, tannies giving you the hairy eyeball...
Inbred local patrons - see above.

garyb
13-12-07, 10:34 AM
Keith W and I used to stop off there often after a hard days fishing...Some interesting folk hang out there, I am sure they thought the same of us.
Saturday evenings you can even catch a band or two....

chris williams
13-12-07, 10:34 AM
Might have to swing past the dam tomorrow after work to swing the new rig and maybe bash a bass or two.

Gimme a shout, will join you

izak
13-12-07, 10:38 AM
Is this place similar to "The Ranch"?

Byron
13-12-07, 10:40 AM

More like "Hotel California"

Gerrit Viljoen
13-12-07, 10:44 AM

Ho ho ho ho ho ho ;)

chris williams
13-12-07, 10:49 AM
Atmosphere - nothing that isn't determined by a number of factors, time of day, number of sheep in trailers outside, amount of spook and diesel consumed, rugby on telly, farm girls on bar counter, tannies giving you the hairy eyeball...

All of this, plus more!

Car scrapheap in the back yard, nothing post 1960 Chevvies, cars zooming on the N1 to the left, petrol garage with a car perched on a tower to the fore, shady Indians in blackened-out Golfs trading drugs under the gum tree. Overflowing trash bins full of rotting condoms, McDonalds wrappers, empty brandewyn bottles, putrefying dogs and baby-vomit-covered discarded tanktop vests. And this is only the outside!
It reminds me of a mosque - if you wear shoes inside you feel kinda outta place and they look at you all funny..

Excellent and cheap venue for non Theta-registered guides to take their clients to!:eek: :D

rory
13-12-07, 11:10 AM

Excellent!:D Nothing like a wonderfully scummy pub full of die hard locals and characters. Did you guys get to see any fisticuffs, ala: "los haar uit sy's myne!"? Having a drink there is now on my to do list for the hols. Anyone know if they open sundays?:D

Byron
13-12-07, 11:20 AM
Excellent!:D Nothing like a wonderfully scummy pub full of die hard locals and characters. Did you guys get to see any fisticuffs, ala: "los haar uit sy's myne!"? Having a drink there is now on my to do list for the hols. Anyone know if they open sundays?:D

I think they are - with a "recover from the live band on saturday night" carvery.

We left just before the rugby ended so we missed the free-for-all, are you looking at my cherrie, no i'm looking at her rack, punch up in the car park...

chris williams
13-12-07, 11:31 AM
Well, almost....:o

I nearly got involved in a fight there with a Simian who'd lost both arms in the car crash that left his 1966 Hudson on one of the scrap heaps..so from his point of view, it'd have been kick-boxing rather than a punch-up..

rory
13-12-07, 11:31 AM
I think they are - with a "recover from the live band on saturday night" carvery.

We left just before the rugby ended so we missed the free-for-all, are you looking at my cherrie, no i'm looking at her rack, punch up in the car park...

Lovely stuff. Roll on holidays!

Byron
13-12-07, 11:46 AM
Next year we definitely need to make it a regular stop after a hard Saturday's fishing. :cool:

chris williams
13-12-07, 11:57 AM
Yes, it would be an 'armless' excercise..

Byron
13-12-07, 03:18 PM
Don't forget your wheel spanner..

tye2
13-12-07, 04:51 PM

it looked closed last time I drove past on a sunday ! , but it was quite late :o

chris williams
13-12-07, 05:02 PM
Hey Tye, good to hear from you, thought you'de gone on leave or summat? Move and everything OK?

tye2
13-12-07, 05:06 PM
Hey Tye, good to hear from you, thought you'de gone on leave or summat? Move and everything OK?

Everything is fine my side just busy at work, and yes the move is over ( now I just have to upack :mad: ) ! I'm still waiting for telkom to come sort out my ADSL so I'm not online much anymore:o

chris williams
13-12-07, 05:31 PM
Good, sounds like we'll need you for the Saloon 2000 WWF/Kick-Boxing Champs!!!

tye2
13-12-07, 06:15 PM
Good, sounds like we'll need you for the Saloon 2000 WWF/Kick-Boxing Champs!!!

no problem see you then:)

Gerrit Viljoen
16-12-07, 09:37 PM
Spotted Saloon 2000 today,next to BP garage just before u hit the N1 isn't it?

Ho ho ho ho :D

At 1st I thought it was some ho joint in JHB,the funny thing is I always use to drive past there to fill up my car at BP and visiting the shop buying ice cream.

I always made fun of the place,now I know why. ;)

G

chris williams
17-12-07, 04:53 AM
'Ho ho ho ho' - were there only four there??:D

Gerrit Viljoen
17-12-07, 07:13 AM
'Ho ho ho ho' - were there only four there??:D

Shyze,u caught me out:p

chris williams
17-12-07, 07:54 AM
I managed 3 smallish carp in the pouring rain whilst you worked that one out!:D :p :D

Gerrit Viljoen
17-12-07, 08:13 AM
I managed 3 smallish carp in the pouring rain whilst you worked that one out!:D :p :D

Cool,I had an excellent day at Arends yesterday.Plenty of fish,lovely weather until 3:30.

Listen to this,I hooked a mother of a carp on my point #16 mayfly.It was feeding next to the trees,I was about 2m from it,could see him very clearly,drift it right to his nose and bang on,zzzzzzzzzzzz for about 2 secs into some plants and structure with my 4X tippet,off see ya later.

My boet managed a 6Kg barbel on a #14 copper john.

G

Lardbeast
17-12-07, 10:38 PM
Hopefully the PBs don't leer and play banjos at you when you drop in for a pint.

Dey am all de rage, bwana...:D

chris williams
20-05-08, 02:19 PM
Byron, the new staff at Saloon 2000 freshly-recruited from Alex, have asked please could you speak into the mike next time you do a Boerekaraoke?:eek: :D

Byron
20-05-08, 02:21 PM
Byron, the new staff at Saloon 2000 freshly-recruited from Alex, have asked please could you speak into the mike next time you do a Boerekaraoke?:eek: :D

I thought that spot was going down - now I know for sure.

chris williams
20-05-08, 03:23 PM
Good one, must admit I havn't bene there for a while so it, like me, must also be on the decline!

Herman Jooste
20-05-08, 08:27 PM
Good one, must admit I havn't bene there for a while so it, like me, must also be on the decline!

Sharkies has re-opened. New owner, new bribes, NEW LADIES:D

Chris Shelton
21-05-08, 03:59 AM

I believe that the new ladies are sporting some interesting piercings with all the latest designer jewellery like flies :eek: :eek: :p

rory
25-05-08, 06:52 PM

Sharkies in Waterval Boven? :D

chris williams
25-05-08, 08:58 PM
I believe that the new ladies are sporting some interesting piercings with all the latest designer jewellery like flies :eek: :eek: :p

In the 1980's, Roger Daltrey from 'The Who' owned some trout lakes in South England and he and a couple of other madmen used to put fully-dressed salmon flies into their pierced ears as 'adornments'. Quite a few other hippies have followed suit over the years, but I reckon Roger was first cab off the rank.

I would certainly rather be served a lukewarm Castle at Sharkies (the W Boven one?) by a local ho sporting a 3/0 Silver Wilkinson in her belly-button, than having a deaf, dumb and blind kid sure serving a mean Red Bull..

Lardbeast
26-05-08, 07:32 AM
Too many episodes of My Word without Nanny to supervise what enters your young and naive lugholes, Mr W.:D

pieterkriel
26-05-08, 09:14 AM
Stopped there once way back when I just started frequenting the Vaal, Vaal was up and me and my buddy thought we'll try a prego roll and pint, strange thing I never got around to stop there again. Maybe if there is new management:D

Byron
26-05-08, 09:28 AM
Stopped there once way back when I just started frequenting the Vaal, Vaal was up and me and my buddy thought we'll try a prego roll and pint, strange thing I never got around to stop there again. Maybe if there is new management:D

That's because you can only get a single entry visa to the twilight zone :D

chris williams
26-05-08, 10:21 AM

Just be grateful you're not one of the 'Bermuda Triangle' customers who were never seen again! They ate rotenoned prego rolls. I understand there is a secret crypt underneath the scrapyard that houses the bones of these victims.
It's reported someone broke a tooth whilst eating his chicken breast and chips
by biting on a nipple ring - that's why only drink what I hope is beer when I go there..

Byron
26-05-08, 10:25 AM

Once is enough for most people. Surviving the prego is one thing - surviving the chainsaw, meat-hook wielding locals is an achievement. Those cars aren't in that scrapyard because they broke down....

Lardbeast
26-05-08, 10:26 AM
Swaertjie Truter, the Demon Bandsaagoperateur of Vlakvark Straat.

chris williams
02-06-08, 03:46 PM
There was a 'Saloon 2000' advertised at the Indian cricket final last night.

Subsequent diligent and painstaking reasearch by myself has shown the Indian version to be a males' beauty parlour in Chennai. Which probably explains why theChennai team, the Super Queens, lost to Rajesthan Roughriders..

nicholas
02-06-08, 03:49 PM
There was a 'Saloon 2000' advertised at the Indian cricket final last night.

Subsequent diligent and painstaking reasearch by myself has shown the Indian version to be a males' beauty parlour in Chennai. Which probably explains why theChennai team, the Super Queens, lost to Rajesthan Roughriders..

Lol:D why does the Rajesthan Roughriders side like a condom manufacturer

chris williams
02-06-08, 03:58 PM
I'd imagine being pitted against Super Queens you'd need something else apart from cricket bat handle grips to protect yourself...whilst on this topic, I thoufght the dancing girls were a lot better than anything we get here, Sharks Raincoaters included!

Herman Jooste
02-06-08, 07:45 PM
Mr Williams Esq., would you please stop advertising my Friday early afternoon hideout.:mad:
Now Rory will never believe I am at home and phone him with the sound of a can being opened.:o :D :eek: :D

rory
03-06-08, 09:31 AM
Mr Williams Esq., would you please stop advertising my Friday early afternoon hideout.:mad:
Now Rory will never believe I am at home and phone him with the sound of a can being opened.:o :D :eek: :D

BUST!!!:D Thats an immediate strafdop! A couple of "Flatliners" should do the trick:eek:

jock0
03-06-08, 09:57 AM
I'd imagine being pitted against Super Queens you'd need something else apart from cricket bat handle grips to protect yourself...whilst on this topic, I thoufght the dancing girls were a lot better than anything we get here, Sharks Raincoaters included!

If we're handing out strafdops then Chris gets one for that comment about the cheerleaders. While there are a few hotties there are plenty some swamp donkies of note holding pom poms at the cricket!

chris williams
03-06-08, 10:07 AM
Sounds like my liver's going to be taking some strain over the next couple of weeks!!:eek:

rory
03-06-08, 10:19 AM
Sounds like my liver's going to be taking some strain over the next couple of weeks!!:eek:

I think I'll give my liver a little practise run tonight!:rolleyes: :D

Lardbeast
03-06-08, 01:06 PM
Drop by Gil's on Saturday boet. A mate's ex ntombezaan is the resident jive monkey there and it's worth a pint to hear her play.

rory
03-06-08, 01:26 PM
Drop by Gil's on Saturday boet. A mate's ex ntombezaan is the resident jive monkey there and it's worth a pint to hear her play.

Lardo, do you know if Gil will show the rugby saturday?

chris williams
03-06-08, 01:27 PM
I'm down in KZN for the w/e unfortunately