PDA

View Full Version : Horizon MRS rod - opinion???

RNH
09-01-08, 08:26 PM
I'm want to buy a new rod, i was looking at the Horizon MRS range 4 or 5 weight, what do you guys think of it? Any suggestions anyone?

coop
09-01-08, 08:32 PM
I have there range from the TRS , MRS & the XRS, I just think that is not fast enough but that said I am talking from the 5 wt upwards,maybe for the price you should do some shopping around.

muddler
09-01-08, 09:30 PM
I agree. Think you would do better with an Explorer if price is a limiting factor. If you can afford it the Horizon TRS & XRS are beauts.

wernerm
10-01-08, 07:20 AM
I cast the Horizon range at the show at Kloofzicht lodge a while ago and I must say I was very impressed. Admitting it has a slower action but then again that is what I am looking for in a rod. A lovely rod.

Byron
10-01-08, 09:51 AM
I have the 5wt XRS and I think it is plenty fast - with lots of backbone it's great on the Vaal.

I generally prefer a more medium actioned rod for other work though.

wernerm
10-01-08, 09:57 AM
I would've much preferred to have one of those than my Explorer.

Byron
10-01-08, 10:15 AM
I would've much preferred to have one of those than my Explorer.

I have a 3wt explorer guide series and I like it a lot but I wont buy another one of their rods till they put a hook keeper on it. It sounds like a stupid reason but it's something that you use often when fishing.

Their new range that I think is going to replace the guide series looks awesome.

Wade
10-01-08, 10:20 AM
I have the Horizon 5weight XRS - a beaut of a rod with more than enough back bone to wrestle fish in fast water.

I also 2 MRS 5 wheights that are mostly spare (or get lent out). They are slower in action but the feel is very good for nymphing and are more forgiving when you mess up a cast (easy to correct with out laying the line down).

I am looking to sell the one MRS because i want to collect money to get a SAGE TCR 5 wheight (real fast).

I still love the horizon XRS and will not be letting it go adn the after sales service from frontier on the horizon is excelent. When i broke one last year (neglegent casting practices) i got the section replaced within minutes of entering the shop.

I can definately recomend them

RNH
11-01-08, 05:40 PM
Thanks guys for your input, but i think i,m gonna go for the MRS! I also prefer a rod that's not toooo fast.:)

Umhlangarox
11-01-08, 08:56 PM
I bought an MRS 3wt for the streams and it is a little bit faster then my other stream rod but i still think its a great rod! Worth every single penny!

I have been told the TRS 3wt is a VERY fast rod for our streams here in the cape but would probaly be decent in bigger waters!

RNH
14-01-08, 06:08 PM
Have you guys noticed, there's a new xplorer classic 2 out, it even has a hookkeeper!